Giles N

If Atari released a 50th-PLUS-Anniversary  

5 members have voted

1. 1. If Atari released a 50th-PLUS-Anniversary Special, going for 100$-150$ what content would make you buy it?

• 50 extra 2600 titles
    • 10-15 extra 5200 titles (specify in comment section)
    • 10 extra 7800 titles (specify which ones in comments)
    • 5-10 extra Lynx titles (specify in comment-section)
    • 3-7 Jaguar titles (specify in comments)
    • Arcade titles in anyway conceivable (specify in comment section)
    • Atari ST games of any origin (licenses bought for use of occasion)
    • 5-10 Atari 400/XL/800 titles (specify in comments)
    • Atari involving themselves with Homebrews for proffessional releases in the collection (specify details in comments)
    • More interviews concerning the history of Atari
    • 1-4 2000-2020 Atari owned/licenced titles bought and re-released for the collection

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

If Atari made a decision to release a 50th Anniversary Special - ‘ATARI 50 PLUS - ANNIVERSARY RECHARGE - special, exclusive Edition’… 

… or, going under any proper name making it clear that its an expensive super-edition of the Atari 50th anniversary, - with a much larger price-tag (100-150$)

… what content would you like, would you want to see in it…?

Choose a category and add your wishes, views, ideas in the comment-section.

While it would be nice to see Atari include some homebrews (and compensate the authors accordingly), there's nothing they could include that would make me want to spend that much. At this point, the best "missing" games, at least for the 2600, are games Atari would have to license, which puts a significant limit on what games can be added. And a lot of the most popular homebrews are ports of non-Atari arcade games, which raises all sorts of legal questions when you start thinking about adding them to a collection like this.

• Like 1

For that money, they'd better license their heavy hitters:

Space Invaders 2600

Pac-Man / Ms - Pac (multiple consoles)

Bezerk

Defender

Pole Position

Dig Dug

AvP 

The "Atari Games" arcade library (hopefully it comes with the Williams and Midway arcade games too since they are one entity now)

Various Lucasfilm games Atari was involved in:

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Star Wars/Empire/Jedi Arcade games

Ballblazer

Rescue On Fractalus

57 minutes ago, zzip said:

Various Lucasfilm games Atari was involved in:

[...]

Ballblazer

Rescue on Fractalus

A license for Raiders or Star Wars is probably not going to be available at any price as these are both active franchises, but I wonder if the other two may actually be available for licensing at a reasonable price. Both titles are almost forty years old and presumably they have limited value as IP. I wonder if anyone at Lucasfilm (or Disney-Marvel?) is even aware that they own the rights to those games. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jhd said:

A license for Raiders or Star Wars is probably not going to be available at any price as these are both active franchises, but I wonder if the other two may actually be available for licensing at a reasonable price. Both titles are almost forty years old and presumably they have limited value as IP. I wonder if anyone at Lucasfilm (or Disney-Marvel?) is even aware that they own the rights to those games. 

IDK, if Lucasfilm is willing to license out reissues of the original SW Action figures https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Vin-Boba-Fett/dp/B07H9PKWHY/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=original+star+wars+figures&qid=1675101273&sr=8-6

Then I'm not sure why they'd be opposed to the reissue of the original SW video games.    For the right price I'm sure...

As for Ballblazer/Rescue--   we have seen other LucasFilms Games/LucasArts properties manage to get released-  "Return to Monkey Island" was released a few months back by Devolver, and we had remasters of Grim Fandango, Full Throttle and Day of the Tentacle from Double Fine.   So it seems they are willing,  in fact they resurrected the "LucasFilm Games" brand two years ago to focus on videogame licensing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1