IGNORED

Cosmic Hero revision 2 ... final release ... RXB

Retrospect

1 hour ago, Retrospect said:

If after all we have seen, Big Nose and all, we 're not fully satisfied and we want a little more .... then allow me to take you into insanity!

INSANITY.txt <<< Commented Source.

EDIT: I have NO idea why the player ship has a ghost, but it does.  

CALL JOYMOTION is the a same as: CALL JOYST/CALL MOTION/CALL KEY/IF FIRE THEN line-number

So you could change: 

! * HOW ABOUT JOYSTICK CONTROL OF SHIP?
110 CALL JOYMOTION(1,X,Y,#1,24,16)::CALL KEY(1,K,ST)::IF K=18 THEN 111 ELSE 120
111 IF F=1 THEN 120 ELSE F=1::CALL POSITION(#1,P1,P2)::CALL SPRITE(#2,40,12,P1,P2,0,20)

into:

! * HOW ABOUT JOYSTICK CONTROL OF SHIP?

110 CALL JOYMOTION(1,X,Y,#1,24,16,K) GOTO 111 :: GOTO 120 ! So K is a CALL KEY and if K=18 then 111 if not then :: GOTO 120 instead   

111 IF F=1 THEN 120 ELSE F=1::CALL POSITION(#1,P1,P2)::CALL SPRITE(#2,40,12,P1,P2,0,20)

Like I said RXB has a few commands that have a kind of built in IF something THEN 

• Thanks 1

INSANITY_rev2.txt << Documented source, laid out in "modular" fashion.  Enemies could be inserted into code now.

@RXB  I have no idea why, but it wasn't letting that code past the parser when I tried it just now so i had to use IF K<>18 THEN ..... instead.  I know it should work as I've seen it done with other programs that you've helped me with.  Then again I am getting tired at this point and need sleep ... 

• Like 2

COSMIC2B <<< --- bug fixed Cosmic Hero 

COSMIC HERO revision 2.txt <<< Source code for you to study, play with , alter , whatever you like.  

Cosmic Hero - revision 2

Features:

* Musical tunes no longer offend your ears

* Thruster can overload if left on too long - this gets shorter with every level (up to a point)

* Hostages can be killed if you're carrying one and you crash, they will fall comically to their death

* Game has summary at game over of how many rescues vs how many hostages killed and what level you got to.

* Messages to press fire to ascend and descend now flash at the top of the screen at the same time as the mothership movement.

This is my best attempt at any game that is not compiled.  Literally the only other thing I could have tried was to make the stars twinkle HOWEVER that would have impacted on the execution in regards of collision detection and mothership positions.  The mothership will stop moving when you're 80 percent up the screen in order for you to board it.  All this happens in RXB and I think we're doing well with that!

;) enjoy

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Retrospect said:

This is my best attempt at any game that is not compiled.  Literally the only other thing I could have tried was to make the stars twinkle HOWEVER that would have impacted on the execution in regards of collision detection and mothership positions.  The mothership will stop moving when you're 80 percent up the screen in order for you to board it.  All this happens in RXB and I think we're doing well with that!

;) enjoy

That looks pretty darn good for interpreted BASIC on the TI-99. 

Congrats to Rich for the platform and you for artistry and usage of the new functions. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Cheers @TheBF 

It's fun making the games.  I was learning at the same time as making the game, which adds to it all.  At some point I'd quite like to learn GPL or Assembler.

My first program will probably p*ss me off something chronic though.  You're always encouraged to write "hello world" instead of a screen full of animated twinkly stars and a space ship.  :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/31/2023 at 10:53 AM, Retrospect said:

;) enjoy

Feeling nostalgic this morning.  Played your game!  Perfect!🙂 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My RXB shenanigans continue .... just doodling around ....  experimenting .... always tinkering .... never stopping .... fingers ablaze, typing code at 40+ words a minute whilst making it look like I'm listening to my missus .... how's about that .... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Retrospect said:

My RXB shenanigans continue .... just doodling around ....  experimenting .... always tinkering .... never stopping .... fingers ablaze, typing code at 40+ words a minute whilst making it look like I'm listening to my missus .... how's about that .... 

🎼Reluctantly crouched at the starting line

Engines pumping and thumping in time
The green light flashes, the flags go up
Churning and burning, they yearn for the cup
They deftly maneuver and muscle for rank
Fuel burning fast on an empty tank
Reckless and wild, they pour through the turns
Their prowess is potent and secretly stern 🎵
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Reluctantly crouched at the starting line

Engines pumping and thumping in time
The green light flashes, the flags go up
Churning and burning, they yearn for the cup
They deftly maneuver and muscle for rank
Fuel burning fast on an empty tank
Reckless and wild, they pour through the turns
Their prowess is potent and secretly stern

He's goin' the distance!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Okay now I think I might be getting a bit TOO ambitious with this.  So far we've got ....
* Animated sea surface
* Animated weeds/plants/bottom of sea things
* Audible warning messages for each type of enemy (there's only 3 so far and they're docile as heck at the moment)
* Checks for player positions so you can't wrap round the screen or sit your ship where the score display is .....

And it's not getting compiled 'cos it's RXB.  You can see the collision detection isn't 100 percent ... and this is before I put the routines in for enemy movements.

i WILL attempt this though.  Haven't thought of a title yet.  

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Retrospect said:

Okay now I think I might be getting a bit TOO ambitious with this.  So far we've got ....
* Animated sea surface
* Animated weeds/plants/bottom of sea things
* Audible warning messages for each type of enemy (there's only 3 so far and they're docile as heck at the moment)
* Checks for player positions so you can't wrap round the screen or sit your ship where the score display is .....

And it's not getting compiled 'cos it's RXB.  You can see the collision detection isn't 100 percent ... and this is before I put the routines in for enemy movements.

i WILL attempt this though.  Haven't thought of a title yet.  

Very cool! The theme reminds me of @sometimes99er great game "Destroyer". Unfortunately that one was never released and screenshots no longer seem to be available. Can't blame sometimes99er for not releasing though. I have soo many abandoned projects myself.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, retroclouds said:

Can't blame sometimes99er for not releasing though. I have soo many abandoned projects myself.

Me neither, I've had a few projects abandoned.  One of which was "Anubis" , a silly reason that got abandoned actually.  I showed a video of it's progress on Facebook.  I wasn't in the best of moods and a couple of people drew comparisons to Parsec, which I was trying not to make it like Parsec.  That's my favourite shooter.  I couldn't touch that.  Anyhow I took it the wrong way and pulled the project.  However .... never say never .... 

@sometimes99er , it did look good, the one picture I saw of it.  I know your capabilities .... it would have made a great game, and probably would have fit into 8K of assembly knowing you ;)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, retroclouds said:

Very cool! The theme reminds me of @sometimes99er great game "Destroyer". Unfortunately that one was never released and screenshots no longer seem to be available. Can't blame sometimes99er for not releasing though. I have soo many abandoned projects myself.

Destroyer is not completely forgotten. Screenshots are still available thru Firefox. Chrome, Edge and Opera won't show the screenshots after the last AtariAge update. Albert looked into it half a year ago. I guess it's a security issue. Firefox being more lax. I will upload a new if and when.

29 minutes ago, Retrospect said:

@sometimes99er , it did look good, the one picture I saw of it.  I know your capabilities .... it would have made a great game, and probably would have fit into 8K of assembly knowing you ;)

Thanks. I haven't touched 9900 assembly for more than a year, but every so often I do a bit of TI game design (22 projects - cut down from 100+). If only I could commit to a single TI project.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, sometimes99er said:

If only I could commit to a single TI project.

I have this trouble.  I don't have 100 projects or anything like that but , I do get distracted.  One thing I realized, in order to commit effectively .... you have to make it "likeable" ... you have to be comfortable with it and not let become a chore or difficult.  That's why I altered my programming style to what I call "Modular" ... meaning bits of code can be slotted in as routines or taken away ... commented on every routine so when I get back to it after a couple of days I know what I'm doing.

You'll get there mate.  We all have distractions.  

• Like 4