IGNORED

How to tell which version of bB I have?

Words Fail

Title says it all. I let RT take a look at my game.. it works fine on my system, on his the screen moves up and down he says. My friend tested (an older) version of my game on a real Atari and it worked.

EDIT: I think I'm running 1.7.. I went in my downloads folder and see there's an empty folder there, so I must have copied the files over.

Edited by Words Fail

For people using VbB, we can look in Settings, check bB compiler to find the location of 2600basic.exe, then go to that folder and open README.txt. The first line will have the version we're using. The version I'm using has this on the first line:

"Batari BASIC v1.5 - a Basic Compiler for the Atari 2600"

You guys are doing it the hard way. :P Just look at the top of the compile output:

Verifying compiler files exist...
Verifying file permissions...
Found dasm version: DASM 2.20.15-SNAPSHOT
Starting build of spaceflight.bas

batari Basic v1.7 (c)2022
2600 Basic compilation complete.
      2250 bytes of ROM space left

Complete. (0)
Build complete.

Verifying compiled file(s)...
Moving compiled file(s) to 'bin' folder...
Moving debugger file(s) to 'bin' folder...

Launching Stella emulator...

The version number appears right after the "starting build of..." line.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Karl G said:

You guys are doing it the hard way. :P Just look at the top of the compile output

I use VbB, so I don't know where that is (I don't usually have the actual folder open). I also have Clean Up Post Compilation Files turned on, so maybe I don't even have the output after a program is compiled?

2 minutes ago, Random Terrain said:

I use VbB, so I don't know where that is (I don't usually have the actual folder open). I also have Clean Up Post Compilation Files turned on, so maybe I don't even have the output after a program is compiled?

Where do the compiler messages go in VbB, telling you if you have an error, how many bytes free you have, etc? It should be displayed in the same place.

12 minutes ago, Karl G said:

Where do the compiler messages go in VbB, telling you if you have an error, how many bytes free you have, etc? It should be displayed in the same place.

Below the code editor, but all I see is this:

Compile started at 1/30/2023 11:43:47
Compiling C:\Users\blahblahblah
2600 Basic compilation completed.
 free ram: 0
 DPC free RAM= 603
      43 bytes of ROM space left in bank 1
      402 bytes of ROM space left in bank 2
      3416 bytes of ROM space left in bank 3
      812 bytes of ROM space left in bank 4
      133 bytes of ROM space left in bank 5
      913 bytes of ROM space left in bank 6
      3023 bytes of ROM space left in graphics bank

Complete. (0)
Compilation completed at 1/30/2023 11:43:55
view output file:///C:/Users/blahblahblah
Post compilation files deleted

On 1/30/2023 at 3:58 PM, Karl G said:

You guys are doing it the hard way. :P Just look at the top of the compile output:

Verifying compiler files exist...
Verifying file permissions...
Found dasm version: DASM 2.20.15-SNAPSHOT
Starting build of spaceflight.bas

batari Basic v1.7 (c)2022
2600 Basic compilation complete.
      2250 bytes of ROM space left

Complete. (0)
Build complete.

Verifying compiled file(s)...
Moving compiled file(s) to 'bin' folder...
Moving debugger file(s) to 'bin' folder...

Launching Stella emulator...

The version number appears right after the "starting build of..." line.

I use vBb. It does not show that I looked there already.

On 1/29/2023 at 8:19 PM, Words Fail said:

Title says it all. I let RT take a look at my game.. it works fine on my system, on his the screen moves up and down he says. My friend tested (an older) version of my game on a real Atari and it worked.

@Random Terrain Are you using an older version of Stella, perchance? I seem to remember that there was an issue when the version of the DPC+ driver was never than what the older version of Stella was expecting. Or something like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karl G said:

@Random Terrain Are you using an older version of Stella, perchance? I seem to remember that there was an issue when the version of the DPC+ driver was never than what the older version of Stella was expecting. Or something like that.

Thanks. I first tried the latest version of Stella and it didn't fix the problem. Then I tried the latest version of bB and that fixed it.

When I go back to working on my own game, I'll have to switch to bB 1.5 again since the DPC+ color fixes don't work with the new version.

19 hours ago, Random Terrain said:

Thanks. I first tried the latest version of Stella and it didn't fix the problem. Then I tried the latest version of bB and that fixed it.

When I go back to working on my own game, I'll have to switch to bB 1.5 again since the DPC+ color fixes don't work with the new version.

What are DPC+ color fixes?

I totally forgot about the info at the bottom:

https://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#dpc_color_fix

I downloaded this file and the colors in my WIP are correct again:

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/323730-bb-dpc-programmers-need-to-download-this-file/

I don't have to switch back to 1.5.

21 minutes ago, Random Terrain said:

I totally forgot about the info at the bottom:

https://www.randomterrain.com/atari-2600-memories-batari-basic-commands.html#dpc_color_fix

I downloaded this file and the colors in my WIP are correct again:

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/323730-bb-dpc-programmers-need-to-download-this-file/

I don't have to switch back to 1.5.

Some of those links you post do not work for me. The #dpc color fix one just points me to your page. If I do a "find" on your website I do not see the words "color fix" anywhere.

Anyway, thanks for the second link.

1 minute ago, Words Fail said:

Some of those links you post do not work for me. The #dpc color fix one just points me to your page. If I do a "find" on your website I do not see the words "color fix" anywhere.

Anyway, thanks for the second link.

Refresh the page. I just added it.

3 minutes ago, Words Fail said:

Now I can "find" color fix, however that link doesn't work.. it just points me to the top of your page. Anyway, clicking the link for "DPC+ Color Fix" takes me to a section of your website that doesn't mention color at all.

When I add a new link, it can take a couple of tries to kick in depending on the browser. For example, Google Chrome can take a couple of tries. Click on link, refresh the bB page, close the bB page, click on link again. After it starts working, it should jump here:

bb_page.thumb.png.016148f16b2d999228d6714df678641d.png