IGNORED

My first cartridge.

Retrospect

MUSICVALUES-G.BIN < Cart image

"Music Values"  lets you enter numeric values and the TI does the appropriate sound for the value ... you can select either single voice, two voices, or three voices in the options.

This'll come in handy for anyone making a program with lots of call sounds, they can just hear the noise, and if it's the right one, write it down in your text-file .. 

Thanks to Senior Falcon for making the MakeCart program which enabled this to be made.  ;)

Interesting thing;  It's been saved as a GROM cartridge, so it'll work on the TI994a v2.2 , but yet still it won't work on a 99/4 (1979).  Dunno why.  

• Like 4

But, it seemed to be easier to digest than the reality...

Besides the 99/4 missing the lower-case character-set... PAD, has different values, and the ROM, also has different values.

So, the issue starts early-on...

The start-up code branches to the address stored in ROM location >0050.

On the 99/4a, that's >0864. On the 99/4, that's >83F3.

Not sure off-hand, how >0864 works?

I dunno.  All I know is, it shows up in the TI menu screen (that looked promising, not all do) ... then it attempted to run the program ... that's how far it got.  Not a problem, more of a slight curiosity really.  Shame though, I even made the program LOOK like an authentic early TI product by making it deliberately crap.

• Haha 6

I'm generally pretty awful at programming sound on the TI.  In fact, any machine.  Take my Cosmic Hero for example.  The first revision of that , I was attempting to make the sound like the old Grandstand Astro Wars, but it actually came off more like when you've just tried to *not* fart but it trickled out anyhow.  

In my case, this does not start successfully on a real iron TI-99/4A via FinalGROM (w/ SAMS+TIPI).  Listed correctly and menu option appears correctly as MUSIC VALUES, but selection results in a sustained beep on cyan screen. 

On unexpanded (likewise real iron) TI-99/4, however, the menu option does not appear at all (i.e., 2 is Equation Calculator, 3 does not exist). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, pixelpedant said:

menu option does not appear at all (i.e., 2 is Equation Calculator, 3 does not exist)

That's what I was expecting to happen, as it would on most rom images we make ourselves, in this case on emulated 994 it did appear , attempted to boot the game as well ... when these self made grom images are booting they do have a cyan screen for about 3 seconds or so ... but this just locked at that point.  I have no idea why they're not working on finalgrom real iron though, bit disappointing!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, sometimes99er said:

I was somewhat surprised when I hit some keys to go back, but then the screen was read out loud - and I even heard "Joe Morris" spoken quite clear. Turns out it must be a feature built into Classic99. Hold the right Alt key and then press F4. And obviously not using the TI Speech Synthesizer.
😄

I need to try that!  I bet you thought for the first second or so I'd managed fantastic speech emulation :P

Just tried it now.  Dang that's annoying!  It reads literally everything! lol

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

ALT-F4, eh?  You trollin' us with the old mIRC trick?  :P  I think it is supposed to be CTRL-F4, as that is under the "Screen reader" menu in Options.

Mind you I said the right Alt key. No tricks.😉
I did look thru the manual before posting and saw Read Screen with key F4, normal Fctn-4 and then maybe some conflict with TI FCTN keys. But yes indeed, CTRL-F4 works too. 👍

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Retrospect said:

I need to try that!  I bet you thought for the first second or so I'd managed fantastic speech emulation :P

Just tried it now.  Dang that's annoying!  It reads literally everything! lol

It's the continuous screen reader that was the major feature :)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tursi said:

It's the continuous screen reader that was the major feature :)

You missed the opportunity to be sadistic and have it read it out in the TI's voice slooowly.  
Joking aside, nice feature for those who want/need it .  I figured out how to turn it off this afternoon.  (three hours in)  Just click it again and it toggles it.  I was there clicking the three options and getting perplexed.  For a guy with grey hair I sure do have my blonde moments.  :P

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Retrospect said:

You missed the opportunity to be sadistic and have it read it out in the TI's voice slooowly.  
Joking aside, nice feature for those who want/need it .  I figured out how to turn it off this afternoon.  (three hours in)  Just click it again and it toggles it.  I was there clicking the three options and getting perplexed.  For a guy with grey hair I sure do have my blonde moments.  :P

haha, I see. No, we have a legit blind user here who I did it for. I thought it would be really cool if he could hear all the text that he's never seen before. :)

The continuous read isn't 100% perfect, it's an interesting challenge to figure out what is new. But apparently it was good enough for him to play a bit of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy :)

• Like 5