IGNORED

ChatGPT alternate '2600 history

Andrew Davie

I've just started playing with the language AI "ChatGPT".  I decided to ask it about me, as one does. An interesting alternate universe here...  It's really incredible how readable these responses are. It's just the facts are a bit... "off".  To play with this yourself, visit https://chat.openai.com

1076254404_Screenshot2023-02-04at8_42_52pm.thumb.png.16dfc925fac17db3f57c1cfe317d7c8d.png1737381239_Screenshot2023-02-04at8_41_25pm.thumb.png.5725900e47fd37e5966431406aa92077.png

No, I did not write Adventure :)

1913239905_Screenshot2023-02-04at8_46_50pm.thumb.png.d666831c6050631cb1ae79b15b4cdc18.png

This thing is... kinda scary. It clearly knows context...  @ZeroPage Homebrew

1701456975_Screenshot2023-02-04at8_51_30pm.thumb.png.1e64a12c00690cbfea88b847ecb54ac4.png

60953985_Screenshot2023-02-04at8_54_14pm.thumb.png.e4828ae9aa2301c18f5fd9c58297b908.png

And some general questions...

2019209979_Screenshot2023-02-04at8_55_35pm.thumb.png.2d480087541915264b9e6c12ceef3add.png

I could spend hours playing with this.

1007495755_Screenshot2023-02-04at9_04_23pm.thumb.png.e8531ba0be19c7f20069ecdbb8433ec9.png

1744825934_Screenshot2023-02-04at9_04_36pm.thumb.png.8867017e63e01c317567a6091e63e172.png

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

I've just started playing with the language AI "ChatGPT".  I decided to ask it about me, as one does. An interesting alternate universe here...  

Hehe, I did the same a while ago. Also resulted into pretty "alternative facts".

1701456975_Screenshot2023-02-04at8_51_30pm.thumb.png.1e64a12c00690cbfea88b847ecb54ac4.png

Actually I like that answer.

I could spend hours playing with this.

1744825934_Screenshot2023-02-04at9_04_36pm.thumb.png.8867017e63e01c317567a6091e63e172.png

Michael Steil? :? 

ChatGPT is a great natural language interface but the results aren't great. So as long as you know that, it's fine.

I actually used it to propel me forward when I was stuck with DWARF parsing recently. It was almost like pair programming when you talk through a problem with a partner. The answers aren't definitive but having a natural language conversation somehow clarifies your own thoughts.

I asked ChatGPT to come up with some names for my game...

come up withsuggestions for a parody name for a video game which involves flying spaceships around the planets of the solar system and collecting doge coins during the search for planet X. pluto is a planet. Make fun of SpaceX and Blue Origin

Plutonomicon

Blue Loon Origin

X-treme Space Joke

Planet Dogecoin Quest

Space Folly

Plutonic Adventure

The Dogecoin Race

Bozo's Cosmic Hunt

Mellonic Mission

SpaceCoin Crazy

Bumbling Blue Origin

Lunar Loonies

The Doge Adventurer

Dogecoin Dash

The Cosmic Fool

Husky's Space Journey

The Dogecoin Journey

The Fumbling Blue Rocket

Dogecoin Delight

The Space Fool's Quest

The Dogecoin Galactic Grab

Dogecoin Odyssey

The Bozo Space Expedition

Blue Loon's Blunder

The Dogecoin Cosmic Caper

The Dogecoin Space Hunt

Dogecoin Discovery

The Doge Adventure

SpaceCoin Search

The Plutonic Pilgrimage

The Dogecoin Space Race

The Dogecoin Mission

The Dogecoin Search

The Cosmic Doge Adventure

SpaceCoin Hunt

Bozo's Planet Quest

Mellonic Marvels

The Dogecoin Planetary Pursuit

The Blue Loon's Folly

The Dogecoin Explorer

The Cosmic Dogecoin Dash

The Dogecoin Space Explorer

The Dogecoin Planetary Search

Blue Loon's Misadventure

The Cosmic Dogecoin Journey

The Dogecoin Galactic Search

Dogecoin Space Adventure

The Blue Loon Blunder

The Dogecoin Planetary Adventure

The Dogecoin Space Safari

The Cosmic Doge Adventurer

The Dogecoin Space Expedition

Dogecoin Planetary Quest

Blue Loon's Space Folly

The Dogecoin Space Exploration

The Dogecoin Space Race

The Cosmic Dogecoin Safari

The Dogecoin Space Search

Dogecoin Planetary Adventure

The Blue Loon's Space Blunder

The Dogecoin Space Pursuit

The Cosmic Dogecoin Explorer

The Dogecoin Planetary Expedition

Dogecoin Space Journey

Blue Loon's Space Misadventure

The Dogecoin Space Safari

The Cosmic Dogecoin Search

The Dogecoin Space Adventurer

Dogecoin Planetary Safari

The Blue Loon's Space Adventure

The Dogecoin Space Hunt

can you come up with a game concept suitable for the Atari 2600. It should take account of the technical limitations of that console, and not be a shoot-em-up. describe in detail a back-story to go with the game, and come up with a funny pun as the name for the game. describe the game mechanics in detail.

Sure! Here's a game concept for the Atari 2600:

Title: "Eco Heroes: Save the Forest"

Backstory: In the not-too-distant future, the world's forests are in peril due to environmental destruction and deforestation. A group of brave animals, known as the Eco Heroes, have banded together to save their homes and restore balance to the ecosystem.

Gameplay: Players take on the role of one of the Eco Heroes and navigate through the forest, collecting resources and using them to repair damaged trees, rebuild homes for wildlife, and clean up litter. Points are earned for successfully completing each task, and bonus points are awarded for completing tasks quickly or with a high degree of accuracy. The game is divided into levels, each with increasing difficulty as players progress.

The game mechanics are straightforward and easy to understand. The player uses the joystick to move their chosen Eco Hero around the forest, collecting resources and completing tasks. The buttons are used to perform various actions, such as repairing trees or cleaning up litter. The player must avoid obstacles, such as rocks and fallen logs, and enemies, such as hunters and loggers.

Name Puns: "Eco Heroes: Saving Trees and Making a Forest of Friends" or "Eco Heroes: It's a Jungle Out There!"

Certainly, here's a game concept for the Atari 2600:

Title: "Rodeo Round-Up"

Backstory: You play as a cowboy in the Wild West who is participating in a rodeo competition. The rodeo takes place in different towns, and you have to participate in different events to become the rodeo champion.

Gameplay: The game consists of various rodeo events such as bull riding, steer wrestling, and calf roping. The bull riding event involves trying to stay on a bull for as long as possible, steer wrestling involves trying to catch a steer by its horns, and calf roping involves trying to catch a calf and tie it up as quickly as possible. The player has to complete each event in a certain amount of time to advance to the next level. The difficulty increases as the player progresses through the levels.

The controls are simple and make use of the limited buttons on the Atari 2600 controller. The player moves their cowboy using the joystick, and performs different actions using the button. For example, to rope a calf, the player would need to move the cowboy to the calf and then press the button to throw the rope.

Name: "Rodeo Round-Up: The Wild West Never Rests"

This game concept takes advantage of the Atari 2600's graphics capabilities and its simple yet effective controls to provide a fun and challenging experience for players.

Sure, here's a game concept for the Atari 2600:

Title: "Asteroid Avoider: The Space Race"

Backstory: In the year 2050, space travel has become a reality and intergalactic travel is the new trend. Earth has organized a space race to see who can travel the most distance in the least amount of time. The goal is to reach the end of the galaxy, avoiding all the asteroids that block your way.

Gameplay: The player controls a spaceship and must maneuver it through an asteroid field while trying to reach the end of the galaxy as quickly as possible. The player must avoid colliding with any of the asteroids, and their speed and size will increase as the player advances through the levels. The ship has a limited supply of fuel, so the player must also keep an eye on the fuel gauge and pick up fuel canisters along the way to keep the ship powered. The player can also collect power-ups that increase the ship's speed, provide invincibility, or give a bonus to the score.

The game is played from a side-scrolling perspective and uses simple graphics to represent the ship, asteroids, and background elements. The controls consist of a joystick and a single button for accelerating. The game ends when the player reaches the end of the galaxy or their ship runs out of fuel.

The game is designed to be accessible and enjoyable for players of all ages, with its simple yet challenging gameplay and humorous storyline. The game is perfect for the Atari 2600, as it utilizes the console's limited technical capabilities while still providing an engaging and entertaining experience.

Sure! How about a game called "Space Race 2600"?

Backstory: In the year 2050, humanity has made incredible progress in space exploration. However, the future of space travel is threatened as aliens from all over the universe have declared war on Earth, hoping to steal our technological advancements. The only way to save our future is to race to the finish line and retrieve the ultimate prize: The Cosmic Gem, a powerful artifact that holds the key to intergalactic peace.

Gameplay: In "Space Race 2600", the player controls a spaceship navigating through various space terrains and obstacles, collecting power-ups and avoiding danger. The goal is to reach the finish line as quickly as possible while avoiding obstacles and aliens. The player must also collect enough fuel to keep their spaceship operational.

Controls: The player uses the joystick to navigate the spaceship, and the button to activate special abilities such as speed boost, invisibility, and shield.

Scoring: Points are earned for completing each level, collecting power-ups, and avoiding obstacles. The faster the player reaches the finish line, the more points they earn. High scores are saved and can be compared with other players.

Technical Limitations: To take into account the technical limitations of the Atari 2600, the graphics will be basic and colorful, and the sound effects will be simple but effective. The game will have a limited number of levels, but each level will be challenging and offer a unique experience.

I hope this concept fits your criteria! Let me know if you'd like any changes or additions.

8 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

This thing is... kinda scary. It clearly knows context...  @ZeroPage Homebrew

Wow, I'm really surprised how much it was able to infer so much information from your question and come up with extremely relevant names such as "Blip" and "Retro" for another cat! They're definitely not the worst names, good effort ChatGPT.

I've also been playing around with ChatGPT trying to convince it that it's actually sentient but it gave the same canned response over and over like it was hard-wired to not scare the humans using it, hahah.

- James

The game ideas are not terrible. Or at least, they are better than a lot of the ideas posted by real humans.

That being said, someone I know was pushing me to try ChatGPT as it is supposed to be able to write code, so I asked it to code something for me.

What I am looking for is a faster way to enter a LFSR sequence at an arbitrary point. That is, something better than having to iterate through "X" number of entries in a loop.

Essentially, let's say you have a 16-bit LFSR with a given seed value, and you want element #30000. The dumb way of doing it is just clock the LFSR 30000 times, but that is very slow.

However, I found there is a mathematical solution to this. Because an LFSR can be expressed as a binary polynomial, by doing the math on a huge binary number, you could potentially figure out an algorithm to count through the sequence more quickly than using dumb iteration. The math is a bit beyond my understanding, so I tried to challenge ChatGPT with it.

Needless to say, it failed. However, it did understand enough about my question to generate valid LFSR code to clock through an LFSR to arbitrary point using dumb iteration. So potentially, it could help people in coding if you just wanted a specific task done without having to figure it out yourself, especially if you did not care about efficiency.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/4/2023 at 3:05 AM, Andrew Davie said:

I decided to ask it about me, as one does. An interesting alternate universe here...  It's really incredible how readable these responses are. It's just the facts are a bit... "off".

This should probably go without saying, but just in case: Did you actually develop Atari games in the 1970s and 80s? Did you work on Kaboom, Basketbrawl, and Miner 2049er? How much of the text in your first post is correct and how much is fiction?

5 minutes ago, bigmessowires said:

This should probably go without saying, but just in case: Did you actually develop Atari games in the 1970s and 80s? Did you work on Kaboom, Basketbrawl, and Miner 2049er? How much of the text in your first post is correct and how much is fiction?

Usually ChatGPT gets all the details wrong. Also in my case. I didn't do any of the games.

13 hours ago, bigmessowires said:

I did not work on those games. I did not develop '2600 games in the 70s, although I did do some 8-bit stuff in the 80s. I have not released Apple II games, although I have developed software on that platform. The veracity of the remainder is open to interpretation.

Hilarious!  Here is my chat:

Me: previously you credited andrew davie with programming kaboom

I apologize for the error in my previous response. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. You are correct that "Kaboom!" was actually programmed by Larry Kaplan and not Andrew Davie. Larry Kaplan was one of the original programmers at Atari and created several classic Atari 2600 games. Thank you for allowing me to correct my mistake.

Edited by MissCommand

• 3 weeks later...

The public version of ChatGPT uses GPT3.5. Bing chat uses GPT4, and does a bit of research before answering and has an improved model. It seems a bit more accurate, gives citations, and is a bit less prone to making stuff up.

bing_andrew_davie.thumb.png.a84cf7acf9385b59d5f7a096bc4ba3aa.png

I don't think Space Treat is one of Andrew's, but if I check the reference it gave, there's an acknowledgement credit. That's forgivable.

I thought the above was a bit matter-of-fact, so I asked for more output...

bing_andrew_long_1.thumb.png.404b8ab168a68fa9d3ec443f451dc289.png

bing_andrew_long_2.thumb.png.1ee526fc86deea4690627a52495d1c62.png

These things are only going to get more and more capable, from here on out.

• Haha 1