IGNORED

BD Retro Mods Intellivision Arcade Stick

I do not hate the original Intellivision controllers and I know this one is for certain games as some will not work. I’m excited for it regardless and will support anyone making games or anything else for Intellivision. He’s making a lot of great products for multiple consoles. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IntvCasey said:

I do not hate the original Intellivision controllers and I know this one is for certain games as some will not work. I’m excited for it regardless and will support anyone making games or anything else for Intellivision. He’s making a lot of great products for multiple consoles. 

Totally agree!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IntvCasey said:

I really like what you said here!👍

• Like 1

I think it should say it's hitting points 1, 4, 5, 8, 9, 12, 13, 16.  That's assuming it's not using any extra logic to adjust diagonals.

Those diagonals will work for certain cartridges that use eight directions where 4, 8, 12, 16 are mapped to 45d angles e.g. AD&D, Snafu, Qbert.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

I think it should say it's hitting points 1, 4, 5, 8, 9, 12, 13, 16.  That's assuming it's not using any extra logic to adjust diagonals.

Those diagonals will work for certain cartridges that use eight directions where 4, 8, 12, 16 are mapped to 45d angles e.g. AD&D, Snafu, Qbert.

Speechless Stickguy Meme - Imgur

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Lathe26 said:

Speechless Stickguy Meme - Imgur

If you test a 16 direction game you should see that the diagonals are hitting 4, 8, 12, 16.  This is why some 8-way cartridges work and others don't, because it depends on which angle, 4, 8, 12, 16 are mapped to in the cartridge.  If it was hitting 3, 7, 11, 15 then all 8-way cartridges would work and 16 direction games would have 45d angles on the diagonals, but that would require some extra logic and external power.  So this device is a compromise with the benefit of not requiring external power.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

I ordered one.

It's a great other option to have besides my Intellivision 2 and Cote Gamers controllers. 

I really like how you are able to customize the stick and buttons with your own color choices!

I am certain to test it out on a bunch of games as I do play some Intellivision every week.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

I ordered one.

It's a great other option to have besides my Intellivision 2 and Cote Gamers controllers. 

I really like how you are able to customize the stick and buttons with your own color choices!

I am certain to test it out on a bunch of games as I do play some Intellivision every week.

That’s my plan once I get mine… try a bunch of the 125 and homebrews… nice to have controller options and I love the options. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, JasonlikesINTV said:

It should work well for maze games and horizontal scrollers like Astrosmash, Beamrider, Demon Attack, Space Armada, etc.  Your thumbs will thank you, but be ready for arcade level button clicking.

I like the clicking lol… yes I think I will love it for those games and a few more. 😎

On 2/4/2023 at 11:58 AM, IntvCasey said:

Orders just went live this morning. Make sure to go get 1 or 2 of these. I can’t wait to get mine! 

https://www.facebook.com/100077687934591/posts/pfbid02i55MbL1DnhvT233jkVuWZ7owYuvVJCjXPt5jZSP7gTqcxwHBHoLWfsWoAMmqSJ36l/?mibextid=q5o4bk

DD2D923A-5338-4A78-8BD5-BCC3B8A620CA.jpeg

I dont have FB, where else is it for sale? 

Dont make me google it!

• Like 1

Very cool! If I didn't already have an Inty arcade controller, I'd be all over this! :)

Hopefully he'll offer a DIY kit or bare PCB, I'd definitely be interested in building myself a 2nd one if so.

$30 for the adapter cable is bonkers though.. They're very simple & inexpensive to make, ie. Genesis extension cable & 9-pin JST header/connector and you're off to the races.

Above all, I'm curious how he implemented the controller logic without using an external power source. I'd love to see a gut shot. 🤔

Really glad he was able to have an independent 3rd action button (and didn't go the ol' button 1 & 2 to be pressed at once to get button 3 to work/Jay Tilton method). That's a huge advantage over the retrogameboyz version. 😎

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD

37 minutes ago, SiLic0ne t0aD said:

Above all, I'm curious how he implemented the controller logic without using an external power source. I'd love to see a gut shot. 🤔

From details in his YouTube video, I don't believe he did.  I believe he simply wired a conventional, 4-switch, 8-way joystick.  So it will work properly for any 4-way (and less than 4-way) games (with the caveat of know issues when playing some 4-way games with an 8-way joystick), some 8-way games will have no diagonal control at all (Centipede, Defender, Worm Whomper, and others), some 8-way games will have proper 45°, 135°, 225°, and 315° diagonal angles (AD&D, Venture, and others), and on any 16-way game, the diagonals will be at the odd 67.5°, 157.5°, 247.5°, and 337.5° angles...as I understand it...from what he has shown/described.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, doubledown said:

From details in his YouTube video, I don't believe he did.  I believe he simply wired a conventional, 4-switch, 8-way joystick.  So it will work properly for any 4-way (and less than 4-way) games (with the caveat of know issues when playing some 4-way games with an 8-way joystick), some 8-way games will have no diagonal control at all (Centipede, Defender, Worm Whomper, and others), some 8-way games will have proper 45°, 135°, 225°, and 315° diagonal angles (AD&D, Venture, and others), and on any 16-way game, the diagonals will be at the odd 67.5°, 157.5°, 247.5°, and 337.5° angles...as I understand it...from what he has shown/described.  

Wow,that's a lot to consider!

Especially since I'm a video game player, not a mathematician. 

Thanks for the great in depth description regardless!👍😊

Here is a picture I received updating the progress on the controllers. 

Interesting to see the different color choices people made.

Mine is in the upper left hand corner of the photo.

Screenshot_20230212_064250_Yahoo Mail.jpg

Edited by wolfy62
Added content
  • Like 2

I think mine are the top 2 in the middle column. Or bottom right? Who copied me?

I calculated there are 82,944 possible colour combinations for these if you include right and left versions.

9 options for joystick, 8 for each of the 3 fire buttons, 3 each for clear and enter, so 9x8x8x8x3x3=41,472, x 2 for right or left.

Pretty high odds 2 people ordered exactly the same colours, weird.

Edited by Steve Jones
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2