IGNORED

PS4 is almost 10 years old

dudeguy

The PS4 released in North America in late 2013. As of this typing, that means the console is nearing its 10 year anniversary. To put that into perspective, in 2001, when the GameCube and Xbox were released, PS2 already a year into its lifespan, 10 years prior, the SNES was brand new and the Genesis dropped only 2 years prior. And since then, the industry saw the release of the Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast, N64, PlayStation, Jaguar, 3DO, first glimpses of virtual reality and online gaming. The SNES had been dead for at least 3 years at that point.

And now today, the PS4 is still considered cutting edge and most people still get brand new games on the PS4. That would be like if in 2001, you said "Im gonna get this new game on my Super NES"

The technology has obviously plateaued since the last generation, at least if buying trends are any indication. I am still used to the "every 4-5 years, the games suddenly look leaps and bounds better" trend that existed from the 70s all the way up til the 2010s.

Anyone else feel really triggered right now?????

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, dudeguy said:

Anyone else feel really triggered right now?????

Not me.  Why would anyone feel triggered by that?   Because people still get brand new games on the PS4 (odd thing to get triggered over) or because its staying power was twice as long as the 4-5 years you're used to (which again, seems an odd thing to get triggered over)?

Or triggered because time moves on and things age?  If that's the case, it must really suck being triggered all the time.

• Haha 1

Triggered enough that I needed an inhaler to make it back to my safe space

as far as staying power, Im not sure how the SNES, N64, and Gamecube didnt have staying power beyond 4-5 years considering there are people still playing those consoles 20+ years later. you dont need to abandon a perfectly good system that has a rabid fanbase

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dudeguy said:

as far as staying power, Im not sure how the SNES, N64, and Gamecube didnt have staying power beyond 4-5 years considering there are people still playing those consoles 20+ years later. you dont need to abandon a perfectly good system that has a rabid fanbase

Beats me.  I was just going by your numbers and info on how you're used to every 4-5 years but PS4 is still cutting edge more than 10 years on.

Times and technology change. Think of the difference of going from a 286 to a 386 to 486, etc vs today. Or back when a 100MB HD was plenty, then a few laters later 500MB was unbelievable. I have a late 2014 Mac Mini that came with a 1TB HD. My 2019 MBP has a 500GB SSD. Those massive jumps just aren't really there anymore, maybe if you're into PC gaming you still "need" to upgrade a video card or something every year, I'm not sure. Back in the day you could tell from a screen shot which game was on INTV and which was on the 2600. Same thing w/the Genesis vs SNES for the most part. Today can one really discern between the PS5 and Xbox other than exclusives? That'a just technology. If I ever get triggered over video games I'll probably seek immediate therapy. 

13 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

10 years and it still has very few games that are worth playing that are not on PC and better there.

Wish I felt the same.  😁 That would have saved me a small fortune and maybe I wouldn't have been introduced to that awfulness called "the backlog."

Video games have been a primary hobby of mine pretty much all my life, going back to the late 70s/early 80s, and the PS4 era was the first time I've ever had the problem of "more games released that I want to play" than "time in the day to play them."  Granted, that problem also factored in Nintendo and MS systems, too, but my libraries for those were very small compared to PS4.

32 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Wish I felt the same.  😁 That would have saved me a small fortune and maybe I wouldn't have been introduced to that awfulness called "the backlog."

Video games have been a primary hobby of mine pretty much all my life, going back to the late 70s/early 80s, and the PS4 era was the first time I've ever had the problem of "more games released that I want to play" than "time in the day to play them."  Granted, that problem also factored in Nintendo and MS systems, too, but my libraries for those were very small compared to PS4.

Yeah, I kind of hate the PS4 because the only thing consoles are good for is playing games that are not on PC, and in the case of the PS4, that is basically nothing.

Decent BD player, though; I have spent significantly more time using my PS4 to watch Star Trek than play games because that's pretty much the only thing that it can do better than my PC since Microsoft was too cheap to get the license to play BDs on Windows.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

16 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

For seven years I may have been using my PS4 to play less than 10 games. But I was using it several times a week to watch Blu-rays, Netflix, and Prime Video. 😅

I was using my Xbox One S for the same reason, as more of a streaming device & BD player with games as an afterthought...

At least till I got a Fire TV Cube because the Prime Video app is awful on the Xbox (at the time).

29 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

For seven years I may have been using my PS4 to play less than 10 games. But I was using it several times a week to watch Blu-rays, Netflix, and Prime Video. 😅

At least it was useful in some regards  😁  Some consoles don't even have that.  I've been making it a point to spend some time with the Sega Saturn over the past few months, but so far I've found absolutely 0 games that I've liked enough to make it it worth keeping hooked up.  And it doesn't even have the benefit of something else like Blu-rays, Netflix, and Prime Video

Oddly, I don't remember details for why, but I remember being very disappointed in the PS4 as a media player because it seemed to take steps backwards from the awesomeness that was PS3.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, MrMaddog said:

I was using my Xbox One S for the same reason, as more of a streaming device & BD player with games as an afterthought...

Actually I've recently replaced my PS4 with an Xbox Series S to serve the same purpose. That being said, I bought my PS4 slim in 2015 because my PC was starting to be too old for some games, and I only replaced my PC recently as well; the thing is I'm not interested that much into AAA blockbusters. Now my PC is more powerful but I don't trust it very much (and I don't like to play on PC anyway) so I'll probably play a lot more games on the Series S, even though it will cost more. I guess I'll use my PC for PlayStation exclusives ironically.

19 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

At least it was useful in some regards  😁  Some consoles don't even have that.  I've been making it a point to spend some time with the Sega Saturn over the past few months, but so far I've found absolutely 0 games that I've liked enough to make it it worth keeping hooked up.  And it doesn't even have the benefit of something else like Blu-rays, Netflix, and Prime Video

Oddly, I don't remember details for why, but I remember being very disappointed in the PS4 as a media player because it seemed to take steps backwards from the awesomeness that was PS3.

It doesn't play CD's, which narked me when i moved into my last new place with no WiFi, only there for 6 weeks, so wasn't taking out a contract to have broadband installed. 

I'm still using my PS4, but as a Blu-ray/DVD player, with the occasional bit of gaming. 

2023 been a very different year for myself, extra shifts at work, new partner, fast on route to becoming a stepdad, my spare time taken up with family days out etc. 

Never been happier and can see myself getting out of gaming for good, as the missus hates gaming. 

Happy wife is a happy life as they say 😂

On 2/4/2023 at 3:52 PM, dudeguy said:

And now today, the PS4 is still considered cutting edge and most people still get brand new games on the PS4. That would be like if in 2001, you said "Im gonna get this new game on my Super NES"

The technology has obviously plateaued since the last generation, at least if buying trends are any indication. I am still used to the "every 4-5 years, the games suddenly look leaps and bounds better" trend that existed from the 70s all the way up til the 2010s.

The specs are considerably higher in PS5,  however it is annoying that I've seen few PS5 games that look like something the PS4 couldn't do..   I'm not talking higher resolution either.   When sitting several feet away from the TV in the living room, it's hard to see much difference between 1080p on PS4 and 4K on PS5

I'm looking for gameplay innovations that wouldn't have been possible on PS4,   Astro's Playroom shows some awesome stuff the hardware is capable of, however few games make good use of the tech it seems.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eltigro said:

Almost time to get one I guess...  is there any good games on it?  Can it be considered "retro" yet?

PS4 is a waste of money at this point. If you aren't going to play on PC, get a PS5 instead. Same games (quite literally since many PS5 games seem to be ports of PS4 games that are of ports of PS3 games, and many of these are also on PC. lol what a library... good old PortStation 4, which never fails to disappoint. PortStation 5 seems to be continuing this trend, but in an even worse manner), but with slightly extra Blast Processing for not that much extra money and will be supported further in the future than the PS4 will be at this point.

Edited by Steven Pendleton

The PS4 made me appreciate modern gaming after being a PC gamer for almost two decades. Just the fact that you can pop in a disc and have awesome graphics, fluid gameplay, without the need of updating hardware and drivers made me appreciate it a lot, especially the pro version.

I know this base vs pro as well as the whole exclusive content is a debate of bad business practice, but that didn't stop me from having tons of fun with the system.

Bloodborne being one of my favorite games of all time.. has it been 10 years already? Oh, don't you worry. Whatever happens...you may think it all a mere bad dream.

1 hour ago, Ninjabba said:

The PS4 made me appreciate modern gaming after being a PC gamer for almost two decades. Just the fact that you can pop in a disc and have awesome graphics, fluid gameplay, without the need of updating hardware and drivers made me appreciate it a lot, especially the pro version.

I know this base vs pro as well as the whole exclusive content is a debate of bad business practice, but that didn't stop me from having tons of fun with the system.

Bloodborne being one of my favorite games of all time.. has it been 10 years already? Oh, don't you worry. Whatever happens...you may think it all a mere bad dream.

Yeah this exactly for me.   All the PC bullshit just killed my enthusiasm for modern gaming.   Anytime I'd get a new PC game, either some hardware component of my system would need updating or driver issue or DirectX issue or there'd be random crashes and I'd have to search online and people would suggest "modify this in your registry, or install this unofficial patch, or edit this file"  sometimes it worked often it didn't.    So I kind of just stopped buying new games expecting the worst.

Did get a Wii, that was fun for awhile, but wanted something more, decided to get a PS4 when it came out and was blown away that I could actually have modern 3D graphics without the struggle.

And to be fair, PC has improved,  but I still think Playstation is a better gaming experience overall, but depends on the genre.

11 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Same games (quite literally since many PS5 games seem to be ports of PS4 games that are of ports of PS3 games, and many of these are also on PC. lol what a library... good old PortStation 4,

Only a small portion of the PS4 library is ported from PS3.   But as PS4 didn't have backwards compatibility, there were a lot of players who wanted those ports since they didn't have PS3 hardware.

PS5 on the other hand still doesn't have a lot of games that aren't on PS4, and if someone wanted to save money,  they could save $200 and buy a PS4 instead of a PS5 and not miss a whole lot.

I got a PS4 just to play Bloodborne, but other than that there's not much that interests me on the system.  One exception: I picked up the modern Assassin's Creed games on it, because the PC versions are infested with DRM.

I thought getting a PS4 would reignite my love for console gaming, but it didn't.  It just doesn't feel like console gaming to me.  I was surprised to find that you have to install games on the console to play them.  My idea of console gaming is, insert the cartridge/CD/DVD/whatever, and start the game.  If I have to manage my storage space, it begins to feel like using a PC.

Edited by newtmonkey

On 2/7/2023 at 12:46 AM, Lostdragon said:

It doesn't play CD's, which narked me when i moved into my last new place with no WiFi, only there for 6 weeks, so wasn't taking out a contract to have broadband installed. 

I'm still using my PS4, but as a Blu-ray/DVD player, with the occasional bit of gaming. 

2023 been a very different year for myself, extra shifts at work, new partner, fast on route to becoming a stepdad, my spare time taken up with family days out etc. 

Never been happier and can see myself getting out of gaming for good, as the missus hates gaming. 

Happy wife is a happy life as they say 😂

Id be willing to buy all your retro games you no longer have any use for

6 hours ago, zzip said:

Anytime I'd get a new PC game, either some hardware component of my system would need updating or driver issue or DirectX issue or there'd be random crashes and I'd have to search online and people would suggest "modify this in your registry, or install this unofficial patch, or edit this file"  sometimes it worked often it didn't.    So I kind of just stopped buying new games expecting the worst.

Oh thank God, I'm not alone. I always hear people say PC is where you get games at 60fps but even though I saw (old) games even running at 90-120fps on PC, I've never seen a game running PROPERLY on PC, without either frame drops, vertical syncing tearing, lag, sound artifacts, crashes, etc. That's why I always preferred playing on consoles.

Also boot disks were an abomination, and even more in France where we had to use a QWERTY layout to save some memory. 😬

21 hours ago, Eltigro said:

Almost time to get one I guess...  is there any good games on it?  

Yep, there are tons of good games on it.  But yeah, you'll have folks like me saying "its great and has a great library" and you'll have folks like Steven saying "its crap with a crap library" so probably best to have a look yourself and see if anything fits your liking.  Decent place to start, I suppose, since it claims to list about 3282 titles --

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_4_games

8 hours ago, Ninjabba said:

The PS4 made me appreciate modern gaming after being a PC gamer for almost two decades.

6 hours ago, zzip said:

Yeah this exactly for me.   All the PC bullshit just killed my enthusiasm for modern gaming.   Anytime I'd get a new PC game, either some hardware component of my system would need updating or driver issue or DirectX issue or there'd be random crashes and I'd have to search online and people would suggest "modify this in your registry, or install this unofficial patch, or edit this file"  sometimes it worked often it didn't.    So I kind of just stopped buying new games expecting the worst.

11 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

Oh thank God, I'm not alone. I always hear people say PC is where you get games at 60fps but even though I saw (old) games even running at 90-120fps on PC, I've never seen a game running PROPERLY on PC, without either frame drops, vertical syncing tearing, lag, sound artifacts, crashes, etc. That's why I always preferred playing on consoles.

Also boot disks were an abomination, and even more in France where we had to use a QWERTY layout to save some memory. 😬

I'm kinda the same as you guys, I think, but I think I got back on board with consoles around the PS3/360 days. 

PS1/N64/Saturn era drove me away from consoles and straight to PC gaming, but troubleshooting games was always a pain in the butt to get them to work.  I started coming back to consoles at around the PS2/XBox years and was pretty much 100% back to consoles at PS3/360.  I do have a decent gaming PC and still buy/play on it a lot, but my experience is usually the same as zzip and root.genoa -- there's always some damn something causing some an issue, it seems.

• Like 1

Man 10 years old! Feels like I didn't get enough time with that machine. Crazy thing is, I've got more ps4 games on my ps5 than actual ps5 games. Ps5 still young, but when i see that game library on the store, just a lot of silly ass games that I think is such a waste! Filler games I guess. Anyways 5  or 6 more good years till ps6 comes 

14 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

I do have a decent gaming PC and still buy/play on it a lot, but my experience is usually the same as zzip and root.genoa -- there's always some damn something causing some an issue, it seems.

Yeah I still play on PC, but for different types of games.   Anything that plays better with a KB/Mouse like simulation type games.  Everything else on PS.    I know some PC players will say "everything is better with a keyboard and mouse" but I hard disagree there.

• Thanks 1