IGNORED

Looking ahead to the 2600's 50th anniversary in 2027

insertclevernamehere

We've had some cool stuff from Atari for their 50th anniversary but what about the 2600's 50th anniversary?  What would people love to see Atari or AtariAge do for 2027?  

I personally think 2027 is a good year to aim for an fpga system that is 2600 and possibly 7800 compatible.  I say 7800 too because, seeing as that console is backwards compatible with the 2600 anyway, I guess it wouldn't be too much extra work to add that compatibility too without going overboard and adding 5200, 8 bit computer, Lynx and Jaguar compatibility.  But I'm no tech boffin so don't really know.  

These machines are not getting any younger and no company is ever going to start manufacturing crt tv's again. We need to future proof our hobby.  Especially for those of us who just like to collect and play the carts and not have to learn soldering and fixing skills.

Maybe after the AtariVox and Quadtari, it's the next piece of 2600 related hardware to be made available through AtariAge, so we have 100% compatibility with all the lovely homebrews and AtariVox capabilities built in.  2027 seems a reasonable timeframe to get the ball rolling.  

What does everyone else think and what other things would people want to see in 2027 to celebrate 50 years of our beloved 2600?

• Like 1