IGNORED

BigPEmu Jaguar Emulator now supports Jaguar CD and VLM

crash

On 2/7/2023 at 1:47 AM, crash said:

There are two versions of World Tour Racing on archive.org that do work. If you are using one that does not work, it is because whoever made it did not dump it correctly so it is incomplete and won't (or shouldn't) work in a Jaguar CD either. There are some collections where some of the discs work, and others do not. This is not because of the emulator, this is because of bad files on the Internet.

I would not try to use ISO files. ISO files do not contain all of the information that is contained on a Jaguar CD. The file formats that work are BIN/CUE and CDI. Redump images are in BIN/CUE, while DiscJuggler images are CDI.

I hope that helps

You are probably absolutely right. The .cdi version crashes BiPEmu without the BIOS CD.
With the CD BIOS the .cdi version comes up on the track selector, which means that the CD is not recognized as a Jaguar CD game.
With the .CUE version it works with or without the BIOS CD. 
So the .cdi version is probably dumped wrong and won't work on a real Jaguar either. 
I know it's not that easy to make a dump of a Jaguar CD because of its particularity, but the guys who make the dump could test it before making it available...

• Like 1

There are some images on archive.org that are bad. For one of the sets, almost half of the images are bad while another set is good, but it is missing one of the games.

When you have it selected in BigPEmu, does it match Hash (64-bit FNV-1a): FB286CFF629AC4AE?

https://www.richwhitehouse.com/jaguar/index.php?content=compat

Edited by crash

4 hours ago, crash said:

There are some images on archive.org that are bad. For one of the sets, almost half of the images are bad while another set is good, but it is missing one of the games.

When you have it selected in BigPEmu, does it match Hash (64-bit FNV-1a): FB286CFF629AC4AE?

https://www.richwhitehouse.com/jaguar/index.php?content=compat

No it's different.     Guess I have to hunt for a different image!

13 hours ago, DEATH said:

on archive.org you have to take the set called "Atari Jaguar CD - Redump.org"

Yeah I found it.

It's the first one I've encountered in cue/bin format and my emulator front end wasn't prepared to deal with that.   I came up with a hacky workaround,  but I'm wondering if it's possible to combine cue/bin files into a single image that the emulator would recognize?   I tried zipping it up, but no luck

• 3 weeks later...

I tried the VLM tonight with some Music by Tool and what a wonderful thing this VLM is. Brought back a lot of memories. I used to record my experiments with the VLM Editor on VCR back then... This is simply awesome and so nice that it is not limited to the Jag CD anymore. Now I wish to have such an Option for the VLM 2 and Neon too :).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterG said:

Ah but something else that I noticed today. I put all my roms into one folder but the emulator does not recognize the majority of them. The ones it "sees" it runs well but I have no clue why it would recognize the others. Any idea?

Does BigPEmu pay attention to file extensions?  I don't have my Windows laptop handy so I can't check.

• Like 1

BTW, 

The VLM editor works in BigPEmu, and if you change an effect you don't like to something you do like, you can Save State and reload the state with that saved effect or effects later.

I plan to replace all the effects I don't like with custom ones so I have a save state with all great effects.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, crash said:

I think BigPEmu looks for the following extensions:

ROM/cartridge

.j64;.cof;.rom;.jag;.abs;.zip

CD

cue;.cdi

You should be able to rename unmatched extensions to solve your issue.

https://www.richwhitehouse.com/jaguar/index.php?content=userman

Thanks for the reply guys. I'll have another look later but yeah, that's basically the thing because there are for example files in there that are named .rom that don't show up.

And for the CDs it shows only the folder with nothing in it, maybe I have to take the files out of the folder. Hm...

I'll try and come back

This is great!  I just set up BigPEmu purely in order use VLM to visualise the music coming out of Spotify which is awesome!  I did have to get hold of the CD BIOS and select it within the Options with threw me at first as I didn't realise I had to do this first.

This is nice as I've retired my real JagCD in favour of a Gamedrive so was missing VLM a bit.

• Like 1

Yes, the VLM software is contained in the CD Rom BIOS, so that is required, but it is awesome to have VLM again after many of us had our Jaguar CD drives fail or stopped using CDs. Now I can listen to anything on my computer and enjoy the visuals.

• Like 2

On 2/6/2023 at 7:27 PM, CyranoJ said:

You could buy it from songbird and use the direct media mount option in 1.05 ....

6 hours ago, SoundGammon said:

How does one play the game from the original cd?

I don't have a current Windows machine to use this emulator, but I would guess using the option CJ pointed out is how one uses original CDs.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The latest BigPEmu adds scripting and VR option support for Missile Command 3D/VR with head tracking for VR headsets, but Rich also somehow added 3D stereoscopic viewing ability, something not even available on the Jaguar VR prototypes. I also discovered that it works on my 3D TV, so if you don't have VR but do have a 3D TV, you can still play in 3D! Rich seems to think that VR with stereoscopic viewing may be possible to add to other games as well.

The debugger that was in Patreon only release, is also included with this update, so hopefully this will help homebrew developers accelerate their projects.

A great set of achievements indeed.

From the announcement on Discord:

--

- Jaguar VR support is here, with head tracking and stereoscopic rendering.
   - A new Head Tracker input device type has been added, along with some options for converting analog inputs to tracker angles.
   - Stereoscopic rendering is fully implemented, and integrated into the scripting system.
   - Check out all the new settings in the Video/VR menu.
   - The scripting system has the potential to add Head Tracker support and stereoscopic rendering to any Jaguar title, so more Jaguar VR games may be coming!
   - This video demonstrates and explains some of the new VR functionality: https://youtu.be/BAJjzlrsbis
 - Added an OpenVR plugin to support the new Jaguar VR implementation.
 - A new script is included to implement stereoscopic rendering and enable Head Tracker support in the final/retail version of Missile Command 3D.
   - To map the head tracking through any analog input with the script enabled: set the second input device type to "Head Tracker", and bind the second device's analog inputs to whatever pleases you.
   - To enable stereoscopic rendering with the script enabled: go to Script Settings in the menu and enable the stereoscopic rendering option. Stereo-capable scenes will be rendered using the emulator's selected VR/anaglyph 3D settings.
   - When VR is enabled (via the Video/VR settings) and successfully initialized, if a compatible headset is present, its orientation will automatically feed the Head Tracker input.
   - Stereoscopic rendering was never actually implemented in MC3D, this is a brand new software feature designed to fully realize the potential of Jaguar VR.

Edited by crash
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, KidGameR186496 said:

All we are just missing in terms of features are JagLink/CatBox support for Doom, AirCars, and BattleSphere, as well as Jaguar Voice Modem support for Ultra Vortek (if anybody can lend Rich their JVM unit for research).

It sounds like Jaglink could be next on the list.

20 hours ago, crash said:

...but Rich also somehow added 3D stereoscopic viewing ability, something not even available on the Jaguar VR prototypes.

Great to see he figured it out but the guy is seriously hell bent on believing the prototypes were stereoscopic despite there being literally zero evidence or otherwise mention of that being the case. Outside of a magazine incorrectly stating such in 1994 before work on what became the Virtuality unit was even started, I'm not sure why he can't accept the fact that it simply isn't. I very much remember people bitching about it NOT being stereoscopic.

It's all moot though and doesn't matter anyways since his emulator fixes both.

...if a compatible headset is present...

Was there a list of what is considered "compatible" ? because I didn't see it but maybe I missed it. Any word if the new PSVR2 will cut it?