IGNORED

Paul's HappyBird - a new game for Atari 2600

bsteux

Hi,

As a companion the cc2600, I've written a game for the Atari 2600, which you can download for free. It happens to be quite playable. Don't hesitate to report any bug here on AA, as it's quite fresh (but finished). The game should be available soon on the PlusStore in free ROMs (maintained by @Prizrak), and should enter very soon the High Score Club. The source code is available on https://github.com/steux/happybird. It was tested on Stella (with -lc Joystick to cope with the bad paddles autodetection), Harmony Cart and PlusCart - but in PAL/SECAM only. Hope the NTSC version looks good. Here are the headlines:

• 60Hz NTSC and a 50Hz PAL/SECAM versions (SECAM friendly)

• Highscore save on SaveKey (high score reset by pulling the Settings switch for 5 seconds)

• Amateur and Pro modes

• Pause with the Color/BW switch

• Reach 100, 200, 300, etc and some colorful animations will start

• PlusROM High Score Club compatible !

Technically, it's using an assymetric playfield scrolling with a big main sprite with 3 colors on the same line (using all available sprites + the ball).

Best regards,

B. Steux

happybird-v1.04-PAL-PLUSROM.bin happybird-v1.04-NTSC-PLUSROM.bin

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Nice looking, but WAAAY too hard, IMO.

It's like the original. A test of nerves and patience. Personally, I'm very bad at it, but my 8 years old son (Paul) could reach easily  a score of 150... Let's see if someone can get to the 9999 max score...

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Nice looking, but WAAAY too hard, IMO.

15 minutes ago, bsteux said:

It's like the original. A test of nerves and patience. Personally, I'm very bad at it, but my 8 years old son (Paul) could reach easily  a score of 150... Let's see if someone can get to the 9999 max score...

This game is really hard (even in "amateur" mode) and will generate a lot of zero points entries in the HSC ;-)

https://highscore.firmaplus.de/index.php?game_id=60

The game is not yet released to the start page of the HSC, basically only the boxart is missing.

@bsteux do you have a specially made boxart image, or shall I use this for the HSC:

happybird-label-main.jpg

Just now, Al_Nafuur said:

This game is really hard (even in "amateur" mode) and will generate a lot of zero points entries in the HSC ;-)

https://highscore.firmaplus.de/index.php?game_id=60

The game is not yet released to the start page of the HSC, basically only the boxart is missing.

@bsteux do you have a specially made boxart image, or shall I use this for the HSC:

happybird-label-main.jpg

I've asked my daughter to draw a box, but in the mean time, yes, you can definitely use this one.

• Like 1

Hi,

Here is an updated version (v1.05). I've removed the issue with the paddle detection pattern in Stella (by adding a pixel in a sprite), and I've made the game easier thanks to your feedback. The challenge should be in endurance.

I've reached 206 on high score club, and I'm very bad at games. Should be easy to reach 1000+.

Have you played Atari today ?

Regards.

happybird-v1.05-NTSC-PLUSROM.bin happybird-v1.05-PAL-PLUSROM.bin

• Like 8

Très joli!

The Reset switch should be debounced so it doesn't continue to reset if you keep pressing it.

Please make a PAL60 version, most PAL CRT TVs support it.

Nowadays many developers (for example Champ Games and many others on AtariAge store) use PAL60 because it has the same speed of NTSC and the conversion is easy, only colors need to be adjusted.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 2:41 PM, Philsan said:

Très joli!

The Reset switch should be debounced so it doesn't continue to reset if you keep pressing it.

Please make a PAL60 version, most PAL CRT TVs support it.

Nowadays many developers (for example Champ Games and many others on AtariAge store) use PAL60 because it has the same speed of NTSC and the conversion is easy, only colors need to be adjusted.

You're right, I'll debounce the reset and yes, apparently nobody cares about 50Hz anymore (probably not many CRTs left...). This is what I figured out myself when I saw other people homebrews... In the future, I'll only make 60fps games...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bsteux said:

You're right, I'll debounce the reset and yes, apparently nobody cares about 50Hz anymore (probably not many CRTs left...). This is what I figured out myself when I saw other people homebrews... In the future, I'll only make 60fps games...

Tested only in NTSC CRT.

It works as a charm.

38 minutes ago, bsteux said:

My CRT supports both. But I still usually chose 60 Hz, because most games are developed with NTSC in mind. They do not use the extra scanlines or CPU time of PAL-50. Instead the screen is smaller and they only flicker more. And sometimes they even run slower than then 60 Hz variant.

Nothing wrong with PAL-50, IF done right.

1 hour ago, bsteux said:

Thanks!

A lot of people still use CRTs and most of them support PAL60 (I think CRTs made in the nineties).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I've received my AtariVox ! So here is a new version of Paul's HappyBird with Atarivox support (20 different exclamations while playing, one exclamation every 8 points), with reset debouncing. Tested on PlusCart (PAL version).

Have fun !

happybird-v1.06-PAL-PLUSROM.bin happybird-v1.06-NTSC-PLUSROM.bin

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Paul's HappyBird on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch, hope you can join us!

Games:

(WATCH AT 1080P60 FOR BEST QUALITY)

Very happy with my score of 111 on Pro mode on the show but sadly it seems to have disconnected with the PlusStore before submitting it even though it got my score of 36 in the game just before it. @Al_Nafuur, would you be able to manually add this score to the table with the pic below? 🙂

Direct link to high score run here (starts at 48m21s): https://youtu.be/JJcidDiEufk?t=2901

- James

image.thumb.png.55bad527a209940e60de8068a3d99df0.png

1 hour ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Very happy with my score of 111 on Pro mode on the show but sadly it seems to have disconnected with the PlusStore before submitting it even though it got my score of 36 in the game just before it. @Al_Nafuur, would you be able to manually add this score to the table with the pic below? 🙂

Direct link to high score run here (starts at 48m21s): https://youtu.be/JJcidDiEufk?t=2901

- James

Your score has been transmitted, but it has not been sent with the correct game-id. There are more entries in the database that are affected. It should be easy to correct, but @bsteux we need to fix the error in ROM to prevent this from happening again. I'll investigate further and send you a direct message.

1 hour ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

image.thumb.png.55bad527a209940e60de8068a3d99df0.png

I have fixed your score and uploaded the screenshot.

By the way, players can now upload their screenshots themselves:

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Al_Nafuur said:

Your score has been transmitted, but it has not been sent with the correct game-id. There are more entries in the database that are affected. It should be easy to correct, but @bsteux we need to fix the error in ROM to prevent this from happening again. I'll investigate further and send you a direct message.

Thank you so much Al! That's good to hear it's something that's fixable and not on my end with a flaky network connection or a problematic PlusCart. 🙂

45 minutes ago, Al_Nafuur said:

I have fixed your score and uploaded the screenshot.

By the way, players can now upload their screenshots themselves:

Oh great! Thank you for the info, I will login and try out submitting a screenshot for my other score during that session. 🙂

- James

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

- James

This just seems.... a bit desperate.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

This just seems.... a bit desperate.

Desperate times call for desperate measures! Luckily it happened to shine a spotlight on an issue that prevented other scores from being automatically entered on the leaderboard, which I've had trouble with a few times in the past.

- James