IGNORED

Attack of the PETSCII Robots, Atari 7800

RevEng

I'm starting a new thread for this game, so I can update this first post with any roms, news, etc. For posterity, the original thread can be found here.

The Demo Release__

Speaking of roms and news, the team and I are pleased to present the demo release of Attack of the PETSCI Robots. The demo release has 2 levels from the game (the full rom has 15) and you have to sit through a brief nag screen when you start the rom. Otherwise the demo is identical to the retail release.

There are two flavours of demo zip here. Both zips include a demo-specific instruction manual, which you're encouraged to look over.

The first zip is for Windows and has the a7800 emulator preconfigured, where you can launch the game by just double-clicking the included batch file.

Attack of the PETSCII Robots Atari 7800 Demo.zip

The second zip is for use with any emulator or flash cart that supports Bankset Bankswitching Roms, which at this time is a7800 emulator (PC: Windows, MacOS, Linux), a7800ds emulator (Nintendo DS), the MiSTer 7800 core (FPGA), Argon emulator (Android, Amazon, Chromebook, Pi), 7800GD (flash cart), and DragonFly (flash cart).

Attack of the PETSCII Robots Demo Rom & Manual.zip

Bear in mind that only one emulator (a7800ds) emulates the SNES2Atari adapter, so the other emulators will default to the single proline scheme. The retail release comes with the snes2atari adapter, and using snes2atari is the recommended way to experience the game.

Enjoy!

Attack of the PETSCII Robots Cartridge Release__

Attack of the PETSCII Robots for the Atari 7800 is now available in the AtariAge Store!

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1282

7800_PETSCIIRobots_Render_Boxes.jpg

Homebrew Award Nomination__

Attack of the PETSCII Robots 7800 has been nominated for the best homebrew conversion at the 5th Annual Atari Homebrew Awards 👏👏👏

Check out all the great entries (for Atari 2600, 7800, 8-Bit/5200, Lynx and Jaguar) and vote at the AtariAge forums: https://forums.atariage.com/forum/203-atari-homebrew-awards/

Once again thank you to David Murray for creating the original game and @NoelleAmelie for creating the fantastic pokey soundtrack for this conversion, and the many contributors that helped make this game a reality.

image.jpeg.90b05363045f0fa8dff45077dea74aa4.jpeg

Game Video__

@Trebor has put together a commentary-free play through of a few of the maps. It introduces the gameplay mechanics, but avoids too many spoilers...

@ZeroPage Homebrew played the game on the ZPH livestream. If you like homebrew and cats, it's well worth checking out.

@-^CrossBow^- has also played the game on his livestream a couple times in the past. Be advised he's an advanced player, having completed PETSCII Robots on a number of platforms, so you may see some spoilers.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, gambler172 said:

Unfortunately, it doe not work on Dragonfly 😭

Right, which was mentioned in the first post. The only flash cart that will support it is the as-yet unreleased 7800GD.

The second zip is for use with any emulator or flash cart that supports Bankset Bankswitching Roms, which at this time is a7800 emulator (PC: Windows, MacOS, Linux), a7800ds emulator (Nintendo DS), the MiSTer 7800 core (FPGA), and 7800GD (flash cart).

What I don't know is if there are plans for updates to the Dragonfly or the Concerto to support the new bankset bankswitching ROMs.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Really fun demo, i hope a downloaded version will be released in the store for those of us who only have emulation as an option. If not that's understandable and i may need to try and source real hardware. Anyway great work guys this is really cool

Thanks! The most I can say about a rom sale right now is, it could well happen.

6 hours ago, Karl G said:

What I don't know is if there are plans for updates to the Dragonfly or the Concerto to support the new bankset bankswitching ROMs.

It seems like Concerto is going to be a no-go for banksets, with the current design.

I've reached out to Rafal just now, and I will reply back here when I have anything to share about DF and banksets.

• Like 6

Petscii Robots running on the Nintendo DS!

petscii_robots_ds.png.7724def7a7b0fcc73178c49232ddc26d.png

I wanted to highlight this cool bit of retro gaming inception...Here we have a handheld console that's been around for the better part of 2 decades, emulating a game console that's been around for the better part of 4 decades, running a homebrew released in 2022... at full speed! (with 1:1 mapping of the SNES controls!).

It's all the more impressive when you consider the original phat DS is running at 67MHz and has 4MB of RAM.

If you have a DS capable of running homebrew, you owe it to yourself to check out a7800DS@llabnip has been doing amazing work on his team of NDS based emulators!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, RevEng said:

Petscii Robots running on the Nintendo DS!

petscii_robots_ds.png.7724def7a7b0fcc73178c49232ddc26d.png

I wanted to highlight this cool bit of retro gaming inception...Here we have a handheld console that's been around for the better part of 2 decades, emulating a game console that's been around for the better part of 4 decades, running a homebrew released in 2022... at full speed! (with 1:1 mapping of the SNES controls!).

It's all the more impressive when you consider the original phat DS is running at 67MHz and has 4MB of RAM.

If you have a DS capable of running homebrew, you owe it to yourself to check out a7800DS@llabnip has been doing amazing work on his team of NDS based emulators!

Or, if you haven't, now you have a very good reason to buy a DS! :)

• Like 4

On 2/10/2023 at 4:42 PM, Karl G said:

Right, which was mentioned in the first post. The only flash cart that will support it is the as-yet unreleased 7800GD.

Wait…. Concerto/Dragonfly don’t support bankset?!?!?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ecernosoft said:

Wait…. Concerto/Dragonfly don’t support bankset?!?!?

No not as yet - from above...

On 2/11/2023 at 1:59 PM, RevEng said:

It seems like Concerto is going to be a no-go for banksets, with the current design.

I've reached out to Rafal just now, and I will reply back here when I have anything to share about DF and banksets.

• Thanks 1

Bummer about the flashcart situation, though I'm sure some of the wizards here will figure out a solution. 🤞 If/when that gets sorted out, I would definitely buy a ROM if offered.

In the meantime, I'll snag a physical copy. This game looks & sounds amazing. Congrats to all those involved! :)

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD
  • Like 5

First, congrats on the nomination.

Second, thanks for releasing a demo version.

I tested it in Argon, and all appears well. See attached.

As an FYI, Argon is now on Amazon AppStore (as of late December), which gets you Fire TV/Stick/Tablets and the Microsoft App Store, which gets you Win11 (as of January).

As always, Argon is on Google Play for Android phones, tablets, TVs and Chromebook.

We'll see if we can get it added to the special (for the month of Feb) Atari Homebrew Awards section of Argon.

1010296651_ArgonPETSCIITitleLandscape.thumb.png.3d42815e14c3b0567d96635423a93a4b.png2132720705_ArgonPETSCIIDemoLandscape.thumb.png.b6c45881ff137de5e88af082a50dfc10.png

• Like 7

Thanks go to Matt Smith, Mike Saarna, AtariAge/Al and The 8-Bit Guy/David Murray - the demo version of 7800 PETSCII Robots is now in Argon!

You can find the full retail boxed version for sale right here on AtariAge -- https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1282

Be sure to get out your headset and/or crank up the sound, as the title track sounds amazing in stereo!

(I personally think this is the best demo of POKEY+TIA in stereo -- it is what I use at trade shows as the example)

Find Argon on Google Play (Android phone/tablet/TV/Chromebook), Amazon AppStore (Amazon Fire TV/Stick/Tablet) and Microsoft App Store (Win11)

image.thumb.png.432a0ce1631382a0edf2e696743d7782.png

image.thumb.png.cdbb0499f4f6d485eecec30ee813ce3f.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bhall408 said:

Thanks go to Matt Smith, Mike Saarna, AtariAge/Al and The 8-Bit Guy/David Murray - the demo version of 7800 PETSCII Robots is now in Argon!

You can find the full retail boxed version for sale right here on AtariAge -- https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1282

Be sure to get out your headset and/or crank up the sound, as the title track sounds amazing in stereo!

(I personally think this is the best demo of POKEY+TIA in stereo -- it is what I use at trade shows as the example)

Find Argon on Google Play (Android phone/tablet/TV/Chromebook), Amazon AppStore (Amazon Fire TV/Stick/Tablet) and Microsoft App Store (Win11)

image.thumb.png.432a0ce1631382a0edf2e696743d7782.png

image.thumb.png.cdbb0499f4f6d485eecec30ee813ce3f.png

Which part of it is in 'stereo'? Cause it only uses one pokey and the pokey only has a single audio output line and as far as I know, the game wasn't made to take advantage of dual pokeys?

5 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Which part of it is in 'stereo'? Cause it only uses one pokey and the pokey only has a single audio output line and as far as I know, the game wasn't made to take advantage of dual pokeys?

In Argon, we generally take mono sound chips/PSGs and create a stereo spread out of the individual channels. We have a default panning for each chip, we plan to open up an API that allows dynamic panning at runtime (if the game is recompiled with the API, which is a NOP on original hardware).

• Like 1