IGNORED

Making images of copy-protected disks with modern tools

OLD CS1

I am starting my deeper dive into Commodore disk images.  So far I have been content with making D64 images of cracked copies, &c.  But I have a metric shyte tonne of commercial disks of which I would like to make images to be loaded into the U1541-II.  The CBMXfer suite has the nybble tools, I believe those will make G64 images, and I am fairly certain that I would need a drive with extra RAM (I have a RAMBoards in a 1541 and a SuperCard+ in a 1571.)

Is this something anyone here has done and can give me some pointers before I head off into a potentially wrong direction?

Another thought: Can I suppose my KryoFlux can make an image usable in this fashion?

nibread from nibtools could supposedly dump many copy protected disks. It works with the reqular opencbm interfaces but I'd like to remember that it requires a standard 1571 or a 1541 with a parallel interface. It dumps to .nib-files which can then be converted to G64 images using nibconv from the same package.

It has built in options for defeating some of the popular protections. I personally haven't had much luck with copying protected disks but I have only tested it briefly and I think that my disk may have been bad.

Dumping a normal disk via a parallel interface using nibtools is lightning fast compared to dumping via the serial interface.

https://c64preservation.com/files/nibtools/

Edited by hofster
URL

4 minutes ago, hofster said:

Dumping a normal disk via a parallel interface using nibtools is lightning fast compared to dumping via the serial interface.

Thank you.  I had the NIB tools in mind, so that helps confirm some of my thoughts.  I was hoping to avoid the parallel route, but if I must.  I was just perusing the C64 Preservation site when you replied.  But, I need to get back to a policy document, damn it.

OH!  I completely forgot I recently obtained a ZoomFloppy.

Holy crap... it turns out one of the 1571s I bought in a bulk pick-up has a SuperCard+ in it.  That might be the gold mine for my efforts.  With that, an SD2IEC, Ultimate 1541-II, and the CMD HD, it looks like I am ready to rock and roll.

@JimDrew Will the 1541 SC+ work in a 1541-II?  (Long shot question, since he has not been here since late 2021.)

18 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

Of course, while this 1571 has the SuperCard+, it does not have the speed adjustment installed.

@brain  Do you happen to know where to hack the 1571 to adjust the spindle speed?  I am looking around but coming up empty.

Check out this discussion on comp.sys.cbm.  https://groups.google.com/g/comp.sys.cbm/c/SphvvBpO_9I

48 minutes ago, Snogpitch said:

Check out this discussion on comp.sys.cbm.  https://groups.google.com/g/comp.sys.cbm/c/SphvvBpO_9I

What happened to your Prodigy page?!  :D  Some good reference there, thanks.  I am surprised there are no schematics of the motor controller board.

I am betting the motor control boards are near identical to any reference circuit designs.

I have too many things going on this weekend to dig deeper into the hardware, one of which is to make more desk room so I can do this in the first place.  I will come back on this later.  I have several 1571 mechanisms which may or may not work (I think the latter) that I want to try, plus a few other 1571s which are in working condition but lack the SC+.  I need to see if any of the 1571s I have picked up are modified (hopefully with a speed control,) and ISTR one of the 1541s I have around here has modifications which may make it a more appropriate nibbling machine.

While I am at it, I need to catalog and prepare units to be rid of.  It amazes me how many 1571s and 1581s I have amassed over the years.

On 2/11/2023 at 10:21 AM, OLD CS1 said:

While I am at it, I need to catalog and prepare units to be rid of.  It amazes me how many 1571s and 1581s I have amassed over the years.

What do you mean by "to be rid of", exactly? If a working 1571 is headed for the scrap heap, it might prefer a home up north on a farm, where it could romp and play care-free all day.  ;)

Edited by Virtualsky

59 minutes ago, Virtualsky said:

What do you mean by "to be rid of", exactly? If a working 1571 is headed for the scrap heap, it might prefer a home up north on a farm, where it could romp and play care-free all day.  ;)

Trust me... I will not be trashing anything that works.  They will be offered to good homes for reasonable prices.

• Like 3