IGNORED

COMBAT XB COMPETITION

Vorticon

COMBAT XB Competition  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in submitting an entry for that competition? (see below for details)

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I made a boo boo. My fix introduced a typo which caused crashes. Sorry about that!

I reuploaded the corrected code and also took the opportunity to shorten the radar sound in order to make things run a little faster (Tursi's suggestion), as well as pass the variables to the tank subroutines by value ONLY except for the CODE variable. Previously they were being passed by reference which meant that they could actually be accidentally (or not 😉) changed. Thanks to SteveB for pointing that out.

I do not see me posting a routine as it is 100% 110 version of XB only. 

As none of the commands I would like to use are restricted from use, what would be the point?

I guess to promote use of TIcodeEditor is the reason for this contest. 

So good luck to you all.

1 hour ago, RXB said:

As none of the commands I would like to use are restricted from use, what would be the point?

So good luck to you all.

Rich, as long as you do not alter the screen or access the VDP, you are welcome to use RXB or any other XB flavor . Out of curiosity, what RXB commands were you thinking of?

As for the only reason for requiring TICodEd, it's primarily the ability to paste text code without line numbers. But it's also a hell of a good utility for what it's worth.

I occasionally create contests in order to stimulate creative abilities within our little community and most of all for us to have a little competitive fun. I really wish you would stop being so negative and join the fun. Given your expertise, you would make a formidable opponent.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RXB said:

So good luck to you all.

Okay, maybe next time. See ya!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RXB said:

So good luck to you all.

I think you just showed your cards! When we tell about our view, it is just that, OUR view and thinking!
And what YOU SEE, is a promoting of TIcodeEditor!?!?

With that statement... Now I know, that THIS is what YOU do with FULL intent! When you write about your stuff, it is with promoting in mind. NOT to add value to a discussion, but promoting.

😃

I am looking forward to the results from this competition.
I hope that people will explain the thinking behind the code you make.
Also I think that this could be a recurring sometimes. As people learn from this competition, then more can take part as we learn our self to do something similar.
I already have learned new stuff, just reading about how people are viewing this. (I am not a good programmer, so I try to learn and get better.)
Only sad thing... have to wait until 15 of march for the results!
I think this i s a good way to transfer know-how about programming to more people.

COMBAT XB COMPETITION 001.gif

COMBAT XB COMPETITION 002.gif

Edited by oddemann
  • Like 5

On 2/17/2023 at 2:17 PM, Vorticon said:

Also under the Project tab of TICodEd in the Parameters section, you should set the GOSUBs at 5000 and the SUB's at 10000 in order to avoid strange errors with large line numbers in case your subroutine is pretty large.

If you do so you may throw in a 20000 just before your SUB TANK2 routine to set the line-nr counter to 20000 so your XB code always starts at this fixed line-number...  just until submitting.

image.thumb.png.f890aa46a2a362d3c8f0a5b6959a7fc6.png

• Like 1

On 2/16/2023 at 11:52 AM, senior_falcon said:

We are overthinking this a little bit. If you can see the enemy tank, then the enemy tank can see you, provided he is turned in your direction. And that is easy to determine since you know the x,y coordinates of both tanks and which direction the enemy tank is turned.

In the code below, SEE will be 0 if the enemy tank is aimed so it cannot see you. This assumes 1,1 is in the upper left hand corner. If 1,1 is in the lower left hand corner like my math teachers taught me, then you would need to modify.

20 SEE=0 :: DX=ABS(X-X1):: DY=ABS(Y-Y1)
30 IF DX>=DY THEN SEE=SEE+(D1=2)*(X1>X)+(D1=4)*(X1<X)
40 IF DY>=DX THEN SEE=SEE+(D1=1)*(Y1<Y)+(D1=3)*(Y1>Y)
60 ! if SEE=1 then you have been spotted

38 minutes ago, senior_falcon said:

In the code below, SEE will be 0 if the enemy tank is aimed so it cannot see you. This assumes 1,1 is in the upper left hand corner. If 1,1 is in the lower left hand corner like my math teachers taught me, then you would need to modify.

20 SEE=0 :: DX=ABS(X-X1):: DY=ABS(Y-Y1)
30 IF DX>=DY THEN SEE=SEE+(D1=2)*(X1>X)+(D1=4)*(X1<X)
40 IF DY>=DX THEN SEE=SEE+(D1=1)*(Y1<Y)+(D1=3)*(Y1>Y)
60 ! if SEE=1 then you have been spotted

Yup this is pretty much the heart of the SCAN routine except in a more compact (very clever) form. 

8 hours ago, Retrospect said:

image.thumb.jpeg.a43c307ccf10a3970484c60cbbd2bad3.jpeg

I have one already.  They're great they get the thumbs up from Retrospect! 

I have its bigger brother the A500 mini from the same company and I'm using it as a full-fledged souped up Amiga 500/1200. Currently working on a project in Highspeed Pascal on it :) The C64 mini can be easily modded to work like a full C64 as well. Great little machines.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Vorticon said:

For the record the French did redeem themselves after the initial shock, but sadly it was already too late...

And I believe they capitulated on the initial invasion to save Paris from destruction.

It's begs the question, is it better to fight and have the people, culture of cities and art destroyed or allow the invaders in and destroy them in their sleep or with psychological methods.  What do I know. 

My father-in-law left the Netherlands because he could not imagine how it would be re-built even at 5 years after the war.

23 minutes ago, senior_falcon said:

One thing we often forget here in the States is that, without France's aid in our revolution, we would still be speaking English.

It's why the US Revolutionary army had blue uniforms. (they were French)

I suppose some Englishmen don't consider what we speak here in N. America to be English. :)

• Like 1

Here's a slightly (very slightly) off -topic but true fact .... During the Napoleonic Wars, a french ship crashed on the coast of Hartlepool, UK.  The only survivor was a monkey which had been dressed in French military uniform for a laugh.  Anyhow a group of guys found the monkey wandering around the beach and thought it to be a french spy so they hung it.

Forever after, people from Hartlepool were given the unenviable nickname of "Monkey Hangers".

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 2/16/2023 at 1:57 PM, Vorticon said:

Ah I see where you are coming from. Once you have eyes on the opposite tank and your routine has its coordinates and direction, you want to run SCAN on it to see if it has LOS on you as well. That's perfectly legitimate and you are free to use the SCAN and LOS routines in the host program as you see fit.

The more I dive into the code, the more I learn.... When I see the enemy, ABS(DIR-DIR1)=2 will do the trick as well ... The difference would also be 2 if we are back-to-back, but then I wouldn't see him either...

• Like 2