IGNORED

RTO - my "production" take on the multicart

5-11under

Here's my take on aotta's open source RTO multicart...

Links to aotta's github:

https://github.com/aotta/RTO-Cart

Links to some threads here on AtariAge:

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/346768-its-2023-is-there-an-intellivision-flashcard-available-for-purchase-anywhere/

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/346024-intellivision-rto-multicart-new-multicart/

I spent most of the day yesterday assembling and testing the board. I had made a few errors on my board, which I repaired manually (see pics below). The automatic reset also wasn't working. aotta told me he had difficulties getting that to work, but after tweaking some code and delays, he got his working. That same code wasn't working for me (possibly because the Teensy works at 3.3V and can't toggle the reset pin consistently), so I came up with a slightly different method, which does seem to be working consistently.

There's a few improvements/changes that I'm going to make:

1. The board is meant to fit inside a Coleco shell. I didn't realize, however, that the SD slot wasn't spring-loaded (remove by pressing first), so at the moment, you need tweezers to remove the SD card. I'll need to figure out if the SD card needs to stick out, or if there's a suitable way to still have it inset and reachable.
  2. The screen is also very small, at least for my eyes. I'd like to move up to a slightly larger screen, such as a 0.96" OLED.
  3. A few minor things, such as insufficient switch height, holes in wrong spot, location of parts relative to the Coleco shell, and of course the layout mistakes I made.

Next steps, generally:

1. Find a good solution to easily remove the SD card, as well as a few other minor manufacturability aspects.
  2. Update the PCB layout with the required changes, and order prototypes.
  3. Buy the required new parts for the next prototype.
  4. Test the prototype.
  5. CNC program and fixtures to cut the openings in the Coleco shell.
  6. Design a label.
  7. Build a small run, for testing.
  8. Build a larger(?) batch, based on interest.
  9. Given the open nature of the RTO, and the type of the project it is, I'll also be investigating having design, boards, populated boards available. Details to be determined later. Adjusted code for reset fix and new screen will definitely be made available.

The board in the bottom half of a Coleco shell:

image.png.ce033dd261253cd32e871e73a0fe67c2.png

The bare board inserted in a Model II:

image.png.515f6ea9e8e21f3c45f9fb14020683ad.png

Play all your favorite games (sorry for the mess; needed to add a TV temporarily, because my VCR/tuner needs a new remote):

image.png.0c1f124c123cf370110ce2240557f124.png

• Like 10

Good job, and nice layout! I didn't imagine you intended put the Teensy reversed! 😝

I'm afraid the copyright of an open source project is invalid, but who cares! 😜

I intentionally avoid smd IC to let everyone able to make his own RTO, but yours it is a great solution for small batch and selling them!

Waiting for your progress!

@aotta, @evg2000... Sorry, the copyright is just a leftover, and looks similar to all my other boards. No worries. I'll remove it for future revisions.

The Surface Mount parts I'm using for this are "relatively" large, that I can assemble fairly easily. SOICs for the chips and 0805s for the components. If I'm getting assembly done elsewhere, I'll typically use smaller chips. If someone wants to use through-holes and build their own boards, they can easily use aotta's files. My take on it is more of a ready-built solution.

• Like 1

I spent weeks in developing the RTO and give it for free for all, and i would expect that who improve the project leave it in the open hardware rules.

But if 5-11under wants to build his boards and selling them, that's a market matter and may be useful for who is not able to build rto himself 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 5-11under said:

@aotta, @evg2000... Sorry, the copyright is just a leftover, and looks similar to all my other boards. No worries. I'll remove it for future revisions.

The Surface Mount parts I'm using for this are "relatively" large, that I can assemble fairly easily. SOICs for the chips and 0805s for the components. If I'm getting assembly done elsewhere, I'll typically use smaller chips. If someone wants to use through-holes and build their own boards, they can easily use aotta's files. My take on it is more of a ready-built solution.

If you ever make a batch of these to sell to those less technically inclined than you I will happily buy one, thanks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I thought it was Coleco as in Coleco-style Intellivision games. The games for ColecoVision are wider, more like Atari 2600 so those would not physically fit into an Intellivision. I believe there are newly made cartridge shells in a few different variants, of which this might be one of them.

1 minute ago, carlsson said:

I thought it was Coleco as in Coleco-style Intellivision games. The games for ColecoVision are wider, more like Atari 2600 so those would not physically fit into an Intellivision. I believe there are newly made cartridge shells in a few different variants, of which this might be one of them.

Right, but it's not clear if +5-11under planned to recycle old shells or he will print new ones for his version of RTO, that's the question. As a retro lover, I'm always sad when a cartridge is sacrificed 

14 minutes ago, carlsson said:

I thought it was Coleco as in Coleco-style Intellivision games.

Yes, these are Coleco-style Intellivision shells. As part of recycling many thousands of common Mattel shells, there are at least a couple of homebrew producers that also have dozens or hundreds of common Coleco shells. If anyone needs or wants a Donkey Kong or Carnival cartridge, I'm sure they'll be able to set you up.

1 hour ago, aotta said:

Right, but it's not clear if +5-11under planned to recycle old shells or he will print new ones for his version of RTO, that's the question. As a retro lover, I'm always sad when a cartridge is sacrificed 

Pretty sure no one is sad to see a CV for Inty DK cart shell get sacrificed. Lol

2 hours ago, Steve Jones said:

If you ever make a batch of these to sell to those less technically inclined than you I will happily buy one, thanks.

2 hours ago, 5-11under said:

That is the plan. Thanks!

Consider me to be on the same list. 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gemintronic said:

Are there .STL files for an appropriate cart shell?

I doubt having 3D printed fine ridges on the cart surface will matter much.

The two models i published on GitHub are for 1.0 and 1.1a original RTO, and don't fit the different pcb layout of the +5-11under production.

On 2/13/2023 at 3:19 PM, Steve Jones said:

Yes this!   Only a very small amount of people will ever take on a project like this.  We NEED people to make for us!  Haha 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Rev said:

Yes this!   Only a very small amount of people will ever take on a project like this.  We NEED people to make for us!  Haha 

Until now only a dozen guys have an RTO, but considering is the only available, i could bet than in the next years the number will reach the 300 CC3 sold and, maybe, the 600 LTO produced... 😜

Edited by aotta
  • Like 3