IGNORED

What modern games will people still be talking about in the future?

dudeguy

We still talk about Super Mario Bros., Sonic the Hedgehog, Grand Theft Auto 3, Halo, etc even though these games are 20+ years old. Are there any games that've come out in the last few years that you think people will be playing 20 years from now or still talking about?

Couple for me would be Metroid Dread, a game that proved that 2D could still be viable as a full priced action/shooting game in 2021 (best selling Metroid game to date) and a bit older but Shovel Knight, which to me showed us that a game can look 8-bit, and play like an 8-bit game, but take away all the annoyances from games of the 1980s and leave us with the good.

There arent many games I see now being made that I see to be "revolutionary" but Ive been out of the loop for modern games for a while.

Celeste (2016, Pico-8), Celeste Classic (2018, Switch, Linux, et al). Celeste will be remembered just from the sheer number of hacks created for it in on Pico-8.

image.thumb.jpeg.5ed9b9458b685e45292ba882fc6590c9.jpeg

It will be remembered and talked about mostly because of the tight limitations on Pico-8 (32k, 8192 tokens) games, and the fluidity of movement and tight controls for a platformer.

• Like 1

Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Dead Cells, Doom 2016, Forza Horizon, Spider-Man, Skyrim, and others come to mind. 

Im still enjoying ps3-era ports on Switch like Burnout Paradise, Bioshock, Borderlands, and others. 

I’ve always felt that a good game is a good game. Some of the moldy oldies have been replaced as a result; I’d rather play Arkanoid or Bit Trip Beat than Breakout, but new stuff often has just as much of a hook as the vintage pioneering games. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Dead Cells, Doom 2016, Forza Horizon, Spider-Man, Skyrim, and others come to mind. 

Im still enjoying ps3-era ports on Switch like Burnout Paradise, Bioshock, Borderlands, and others. 

I’ve always felt that a good game is a good game. Some of the moldy oldies have been replaced as a result; I’d rather play Arkanoid or Bit Trip Beat than Breakout, but new stuff often has just as much of a hook as the vintage pioneering games. 

I couldnt get into Breath and this is coming from a diehard Zelda who has been playing since Links Awakening on the GB. I kept wondering when Id get a hold of a sword (that didnt break after a few swings) and find the first dungeon. played for a few hours and eventually just traded the cartridge in. idk why people like the game. just my opinion

I think largely they'll discuss the memories of what they enjoyed, but depending on the format, it would largely end there unless they're pirates.  Switch, Steam, they're a different unique thing each and access is there and lasting largely, but yet even with both some may need online and if that cratered some select items may not work.  But going down the MS/Sony route of things given how it's handled, it's a piracy state long term once the networks get pulled for better ones while Switch cards mostly work as is fine and Steam just converts stuff to the next OS revision/hardware updates so there's more permanency.  So that's what will get discussed, what's still usable, or usable with piracy.  I could see an increase in more printed media going over such lost games and of that sort.

I think there's a LOT that will still be hanging in there. remaining strong with the current fanbase while picking up new fans as they discover them.  Just a few off the top of my head--

Super Mario Odyssey

Breath of the Wild

Fire Emblem Three Houses

Bloodborne

Witcher 3

Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2

Deathloop

Returnal

Ghost of Tsushima

Disco Elysium

God of War

Undertale

Blood Bowl 2

Dragon Quest XI

Ori and the Blind Forest

Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Streets of Rage 4

Ninja Turtles Shredder's Revenge

River City Girls

... yeah, there's a ton.

Not super recent, but one I think will be remembered is Journey.  I don't know that I've ever played a more unique game.  Some might call it a walking sim or something, but the "story" that it covers and the meeting of random other people along the way... and not being able to actually talk to them, just beep some kind of symbol above your head... just super unique I feel.

• 2 weeks later...

The usual hard hitters people are talking about like Elden Ring, Odyssey, BotW, etc.

I think the Wii U will end up discussed a lot, called underrated like the Saturn and 7800 are treated. Especially since it started Splatoon. That series in general is gonna be talked about fondly I imagine.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2023 at 11:07 PM, Astro Rabby said:

The usual hard hitters people are talking about like Elden Ring, Odyssey, BotW, etc.

I think the Wii U will end up discussed a lot, called underrated like the Saturn and 7800 are treated. Especially since it started Splatoon. That series in general is gonna be talked about fondly I imagine.

I feel like some people are already starting to say that with the Wii U and that that idea will continue. I have one and am hearing more and more people talking about them more recently. I also am quite sure they will rise in price quite significantly due to the limited amount sold (and now the malfunctions will help that I would think). I am actually quite tempted to buy some of the last games I want now due thinking prices will rise quickly as they seem to have done with the 3DS very recently.
I also think that the PS Vita is also quite eligible to be in the same boat as the Saturn in terms to people saying how it was neglected in its day and other statements like that.