IGNORED

Jaguar Doom gameplay

7800JAGFAN

On 2/21/2023 at 3:27 AM, Mittens0407 said:

The thing about old PC games is that they are always presented in the best light these days. Running as well as they can via emulation or even getting source ports to newer hardware.

This is so true. Less messing around with config.sys and autoexec.bat. Part of the balancing act was keeping everything compatible and running off of one single configuration without dedicated boot disks. Today it's easy to have multiple configurations/machines virtualized. And i7 machines power through any inefficiencies or the multiple layers of code bloat so common today.

200MB for just a point/click UI framework? I'm looking at you Qt.

Modern source ports do a great job of keeping the games relevant and presentable. I wish more given the ZDoom treatment so to speak. Like Descent! Anyone ever do anything modern with that?

Edited by Keatah

Not sure if the source code of Descent was released in the same way as Doom and Quake. 

There was supposed to be a remake but it sounds like they hit some legal snags https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/descent-underground-is-hopefully-still-coming-but-maybe-not-as-descent

This looks promising, but much more DIY than the ZDoom setups you describe. https://www.dxx-rebirth.com/

9 minutes ago, Keatah said:

This is so true. Less messing around with config.sys and autoexec.bat. Part of the balancing act was keeping everything compatible and running off of one single configuration without dedicated boot disks. Today it's easy to have multiple configurations/machines virtualized. And i7 machines power through any inefficiencies or the multiple layers of code bloat so common today.

Dosbox makes it easy.   So many of the common TSRs that you'd need to set up in your autoexec.bat are built in (mouse driver, doskey, sound drivers),  and I think they cheat and live outside the memory map, so you never have to deal with lower 640K memory management issues, this despite having multiple sound cards to choose from.

But in other PC emulators you will still need to deal with autoexec.bat/config.sys and related issues.

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

Not sure if the source code of Descent was released in the same way as Doom and Quake. 

There was supposed to be a remake but it sounds like they hit some legal snags https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/descent-underground-is-hopefully-still-coming-but-maybe-not-as-descent

This looks promising, but much more DIY than the ZDoom setups you describe. https://www.dxx-rebirth.com/

It's a few years old now, but the original creators of Descent released this;

https://store.steampowered.com/app/448850/Overload/

It supports VR too (but isn't mandatory).

As a new owner of the Jaguar and recently Doom CIB, I do find it a great port.

It has an interesting history to it as it was the only port of Doom that John Carmack directly worked on iirc and it has been a template for all the other ports. I personally don't miss the music much, though I do find the lack of the Cyberdemon a bit of an anticlimax.

I've only played Doom on the PC before, and it definitely feels like Doom on Jaguar needs more careful planning when playing it, which is great because now I'm spending a ton of time with one of my favorite shooters of all time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ninjabba said:

It has an interesting history to it as it was the only port of Doom that John Carmack directly worked on iirc and it has been a template for all the other ports. I personally don't miss the music much, though I do find the lack of the Cyberdemon a bit of an anticlimax.

I've only played Doom on the PC before, and it definitely feels like Doom on Jaguar needs more careful planning when playing it, which is great because now I'm spending a ton of time with one of my favorite shooters of all time.

Just out of curiosity why play the inferior Jag version when you can play the original (and superior) DOS version? 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Class316 said:

Just out of curiosity why play the inferior Jag version when you can play the original (and superior) DOS version? 

Well, because Jaguar fans are bat-shit crazy, I also play Space Harrier on my Atari 800xl! 

3 hours ago, Ninjabba said:

That's what I like about it as a console port, the extreme but still fair challenge.  Try making it through, no cheats on Nightmare.  Its an experience for sure, all other ports previous to Xbox are easy by comparison.  Oh, I also am in the camp that likes the silence, then listening for imps and ex-marines.   Shame about the cyberdemon not being there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Class316 said:

Sometimes I play Missile Command on 2600 rather than 5200. Or 7800 Food Fight rather than arcade ROM. Various versions are fun due to differences some perceive as inferiorities.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Editorb said:

Various versions are fun due to differences some perceive as inferiorities.

I see that time and time again. I liked both 2600 and 400/800 Missile Command nearly equally. Though I was good at the arcade version, I thoroughly appreciated the child-like difficulty of the home releases. Same with BattleZone and many other games which are discussed in other threads.

Always gotta remember that arcades were meant to kick your ass after about 5 minutes of play. Churn and burn. Take the next quarter. Difficulty always seemed to ramp up exponentially to make you fail. Home versions had more leeway, and the VCS excelled here with all sorts of options.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Editorb said:

Sometimes I play Missile Command on 2600 rather than 5200. Or 7800 Food Fight rather than arcade ROM. Various versions are fun due to differences some perceive as inferiorities.

I guess to each his own. For instance I personally see no reason to revisit inferior console ports when arcade roms exist. Even if I had the console version growing up. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Class316 said:

Because we are in a Jaguar forum??

Sorry, but why do you feel entitled to blame Jaguar fans for playing Jaguar games? 😂

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Class316 said:

I guess to each his own. For instance I personally see no reason to revisit inferior console ports when arcade roms exist. Even if I had the console version growing up. 

For those of us sentimental/nostalgic types, both home and arcade versions could be relevant. In fact we'd often get introduced to a game at home first and then learn of the arcade game later when we were old enough to actually go there.

And a home console game is more than likely to have multiple difficulty settings to better match a kid's budding skill level. Arcades were often too hard to enjoy. So I only played the more eclectic ones (arcade) that appealed to my sense of advanced sounds and graphics and futurism, something other than chasing hi-scores on cutesy games or repetitive platformers - because I suckedadickus there.

And even if that wasn't the case I still want to revisit home consoles. For the good times. For seeing what's new and comparing old games vs new games. For testing myself to see if I can still play with the best of 'em. And to see where we've been.

Don't forget that some home versions are simply more visually appealing and have better color palettes.

Edited by Keatah

30 minutes ago, Keatah said:

For those of us sentimental/nostalgic types, both home and arcade versions could be relevant. In fact we'd often get introduced to a game at home first and then learn of the arcade game later when we were old enough to actually go there.

And a home console game is more than likely to have multiple difficulty settings to better match a kid's budding skill level. Arcades were often too hard to enjoy. So I only played the more eclectic ones (arcade) that appealed to my sense of advanced sounds and graphics and futurism, something other than chasing hi-scores on cutesy games or repetitive platformers - because I suckedadickus there.

And even if that wasn't the case I still want to revisit home consoles. For the good times. For seeing what's new and comparing old games vs new games. For testing myself to see if I can still play with the best of 'em. And to see where we've been.

Don't forget that some home versions are simply more visually appealing and have better color palettes.

Well I meant in cases where the home port has many shortcomings. Like for instance Final Fight. There is no home port that is preferable over the arcade. Even the Sega CD version with its superior music. There's just too many issues.  

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Class316 said:

Played the original DOS version countless times, moved on to gzdoom/mods a long time ago.

The Jaguar version is definitely not my favorite port, but its an important landmark in console gaming as it has served as a template for all the other ports, so gotta see what the fuzz is about and I enjoy to see how they worked around the limitations of the console. Gotta see that binary space partitioning running its full glory, right?

I would also play this if I had it:

5b2.jpg.41f2d8f6d993ee8f8a4d3e9880ae32ec.jpg

Edited by Ninjabba
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/23/2023 at 1:27 PM, Class316 said:

Nostalgia for me.  The Jag version of Doom wasn't the first one I had played, but it was the one I spent the most time with as a kid.  And even aside from the nostalgia, there are a couple levels in JagDoom that aren't in the PC original, and quite a few levels that were altered for the Jag port.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 12:27 PM, Class316 said:

Why play Doom when you can play Quake? Why play a SNES game when you can play an N64 game? This is kind of a stupid question to ask in the Jaguar forum.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1