IGNORED

What were the Defining Games for the Atari 2600?

InvaderPac

In 10 games or less, What would you say were the games that defined the Atari 2600? Consider It's capabilities, uniqueness, pop culture, what is what like to be a user in it's lifetime.

My picks would be:

Combat

Video Olympics

Because they were the types of games that the console was originally designed to be able to play. Featuring head-to-head gaming and Video Olympics utilizing the paddle controllers.

Space Invaders

Pac-man

The system's 2 best selling games. Ports of massively popular arcade games. Maybe include Ms Pac Man also to show that the console was capable of a good version of the game.

Pitfall - the best selling 3rd party game, a platformer

Warlords - 4 players fight against each other with the paddle controllers

Other possibilities? Night Driver representing driving games, E.T. for the hype and let down, Breakout a popular paddle game, Adventure 

• Like 1

Well I thought that:

Video Pinball

Video Chess

Space Invaders

Missile Command

Phoenix

Dodge'em

Surround

Combat

..were sophisticated games at the time, yet accessible and understandable to everyone. Approachable. They were accepted into the videogaming public rather seamlessly and that speaks volumes. There's more but these stand out to me at this moment.

• Like 1

I'd go with...

• Combat - iconic pack-in game
  • Space Invaders - many systems were sold for this title
  • Asteroids - first 8k game
  • Pac-man - so much anticipation, so much disappointment
  • E.T. - blamed by many for the video game crash
  • Adventure - easter egg!
  • Pitfall - welcome 3rd party manufacturers (I know this wasn't their first game)
  • Donkey Kong - did Coleco make these inferior on purpose? NOTE: I personally loved this game
  • Warlords - awesome multi-player paddle game
  • Custer's Revenge - let the protests begin
  • Like 1

Combat - pack in for many

Space Invaders - first really big licence. Likely the killer app of its day.

Adventure - genre defining

Basketball - sports entry that many will associate with the 2600

Warlords - best paddle game

Pitfall! - probably the first game anyone thinks of when mentioning Activision for the 2600

River Raid - ditto re shooting game by Activision

Tennis - ditto re sports game!

Yars' Revenge - Atari original , iconic IP

Pacman - massive licence and public awareness.

Edited by davyK
  • Like 1

just my experience, these were my favorites--

1 adventure.  i'll still play this & enjoy it.

2 space invaders.  i had a 6th grade sleepover w/ a few dudes in 80 or 81, whatever, it was a blast.  

3 missile command.  wonderful graphics. 

ok, that's all the energy i got, probly should add 2 more, sorry.

Adventure

Asteroids

Combat

Warlords

Missile Command

Pac-Man

Pitfall

Space Invaders

Video Olympics

Yars Revenge

Though Combat was popular it wasnt a system seller.  When SI came out it was the system seller for the 2600.  Asteroids, Warlords, Missile Command were respectable arcade adaptions solidifiyng the 2600's lead.

I started a list but realized it was just a list of my favorite games. I was just a wee little one during the 2600 heyday, so I'm not sure if my thoughts have any value to the question posed. What I'd really be more interested in is what 10 games or fewer keep your 2600 hooked up to the TV. What can really only be played on the 2600? Sp what defines the 2600 today. Is that list different?

For the record the games that had the most impact on me around 1982-1984 when I started really playing the 2600:

Asteroids

Haunted House

Pac-Man

Defender

Missile Command

Yars' Revenge

Space Invaders

Chopper Command

Pitfall

Empire Strikes Back

Miscellaneous Notes:

I naughty word hate Space Invaders. I don't think I've ever completed two boards. Almost the same thing with Megamania. I did not have Megamania back then but it wouldn't have mattered. I still stink at both of these games. Badly. But Space Invaders was always in the rotation.

Naughty word you all. We loved Pac-man and Defender! Today, there are so many better versions of Pac-man that I'd rather play them than the Atari's original. But while Stargate (Defender 2) is awesome and the remake of Defender that's on this site is naughty word amazing, I still like Atari's original Defender.

Chopper Command, Pitfall, and Empire Strikes Back were the most graphically attractive games. I'm mad that I never got an actual Chopper Command patch. Too easy. But fun as naughty word.

Honorable Mentions:

Now for some reason I don't remember having Berserk, but if I had that game back in the day, like today it would have been my favorite. Same with River Raid. And Warlords. By 1986 or so my friends were moving on to Nintendo but I logged a naughty word ton of time with Solaris. At some point (1985-86) I also played the snot out of H.E.R.O and loved it. I could only clear maybe three or four boards but loved it none-the-less.

So to answer the question I posed for myself at the top of this is this:

Berzerk

Asteroids

Yars' Revenge

Warlords

Defender

Chopper Command

River Raid

Ice Hockey (and all the team color hacks I made)

Pitfall

Empire Strikes Back

Honorable Mentions:

Beamrider

Star Master

Robot Tank

Atlantis (which I suck at)

Moonsweeper

Galagon

Wizards of Wor Remake

Defender Remake

Dr. Who

Today is awesome because we have access to everything, but back then, I would have loved Beamrider, Ice Hockey, Star Master, and Robot Tank if I had them. They would have definitely made my list.

1 hour ago, JasperAK said:

I started a list but realized it was just a list of my favorite games. I was just a wee little one during the 2600 heyday, so I'm not sure if my thoughts have any value to the question posed. What I'd really be more interested in is what 10 games or fewer keep your 2600 hooked up to the TV. What can really only be played on the 2600? Sp what defines the 2600 today. Is that list different?

Yes people are going to pick their favorite games - as that's what defined the 2600 (to them). How could it be any other way?

What defines the 2600 is going to be people's favorites list. And those favorites are what will keep a 2600 hooked up. How could it be any other way?

I suppose the question could possibly be asked in context of what was its killer app or what what game introduced a certain style/genre that endures till today.

15 minutes ago, Keatah said:

What defines the 2600 is going to be people's favorites list. And those favorites are what will keep a 2600 hooked up. How could it be any other way?

I suppose the question could possibly be asked in context of what was its killer app or what what game introduced a certain style/genre that endures till today.

I don’t think that is necessary. It seemed pretty clear to me. These games should be iconic, when people think of the 2600, these games would come to mind. The other possible interpretation would be what games would you expect to be “must own”/or in the favorites list of a 2600 owner/emulator. I suspect the OP meant the former rather than the latter. Sure some people may have different favorites than others, but as the Top 100 Atari 2600 list shows, the drop from 1-20 is 2x from 50-100.

In 10 games or less, What would you say were the games that defined the Atari 2600? Consider It's capabilities, uniqueness, pop culture, what is what like to be a user in it's lifetime.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 6:12 PM, Keatah said:

Activision's Laser Blast was the first 3rd party game for the VCS in 1981.

Activision shipped their first four titles (Dragster, Boxing, Checkers & Fishing Derby) in July 1980.  They released Skiing and Bridge later that year.

• Thanks 1

On 2/21/2023 at 9:09 PM, Keatah said:

StarShip. The initial 1977 release inspired and introduced an enduring genre.

StarWars came out in theatres the same year and rapidly gathered so much cultural momentum that the sequel, Star Raiders, took the industry by storm two years later.

• Like 1

Hadn't really thought about StarShip being the prequel to StarRaiders. But I suppose it is so! I had the game when it first came out and loved the eerie ambient blips/bleeps/bloops. Today it seems like too much, but to us hyper-active kids it would be just right.

The scanline effects in the video are pretty lousy, overdone, and not blended. That's not classic looking at all and screams "emulator from 2002!"

• Like 1