IGNORED

F18A Pre-order #3

Shift838

• 1 month later...

Anyone run into the situation where the F18A once installed just sits on the F18A is ready screen with a low frequency audio hum coming out of the audio from the system? I thought maybe something wasn't connected properly on the socket I installed, but when I pop the original VDP chip back in, the system comes right up and works as normal through the old RF output. But when I pop the F18A into the socket... no dice.

In asking @Ruggers Customs about this, he seemed to think the firmware might be goofed and the board needs to be flashed again?

It is definitely something with the F18A since the system seems to be dead with it installed but works with the original VDP in use. Ideas?

My issues were a couple of years ago and thankfully the vendor (not mentioning by name unless he speaks about it here) at the time was very understanding and sent out a replacement immediately.  The replacement worked perfectly fine and booted right up.  I returned the faulty one to him so he could pinpoint the issues.  He ended up finding two faults that gave me the similar function that you're experiencing-

1 of the voltage regulators had failed.

Failed buffer chip.

Once those issues were resolved, the power consumption of the board dropped to the normal 150mA and booted up as it should.  A root cause for the failures was never determined.  I ruled out ESD in my case since I always use a grounding strap when working with highly sensitive (not to mention expensive) boards like this.  So in my case, like yours, it was probably just bad luck with faulty parts unfortunately.

199128348_1136981760112773_6615119023969603455_n.jpg

1 hour ago, Ruggers Customs said:

My issues were a couple of years ago and thankfully the vendor (not mentioning by name unless he speaks about it here) at the time was very understanding and sent out a replacement immediately.  The replacement worked perfectly fine and booted right up.  I returned the faulty one to him so he could pinpoint the issues.  He ended up finding two faults that gave me the similar function that you're experiencing-

1 of the voltage regulators had failed.

Failed buffer chip.

Once those issues were resolved, the power consumption of the board dropped to the normal 150mA and booted up as it should.  A root cause for the failures was never determined.  I ruled out ESD in my case since I always use a grounding strap when working with highly sensitive (not to mention expensive) boards like this.  So in my case, like yours, it was probably just bad luck with faulty parts unfortunately.

199128348_1136981760112773_6615119023969603455_n.jpg

Yes that is the only thing that comes up along with a low freq hum on the audio. Popping the VDP back in I get the CV logo screen as normal and games do work otherwise but not with the F18A in place.

• Sad 1