IGNORED

Learning to code for SNES from absolute scratch?

Kirk_Johnston

OK, I want to make something for SNES. I have no problem with game design, making art, understanding gameplay, etc, but I don't have the slightest clue how to actually start coding from the very beginning in terms of figuring out how to do anything on the actual SNES. I've had a look at a few online resources that are supposed to be guides to get started creating stuff for SNES, but I can't for the life of me even get through the first few steps around setting up everything that's initially required for the development and learning environment, be it the coding software or whatever else is needed. Also, I've never programmed a line of Assembly, so that's a total foreign language too, and anything that assumes even rudimentary knowledge of that or how to run compilers and debuggers and the like is jumping way too far ahead for a noob like me. Even something telling me to go to github and get some source files or whatever, without explicit step by step instructions of where to go and what to click and so on, is not a clear instruction and assumes far too much knowledge of even github. Lastly, I do not have a physical SNES, so that can't be assumed either. I have a PC and at best either a SNES emulator or the SNES Classic Mini that I can download SNES stuff onto to test.

So, does anyone know where I can go about finding out how to code stuff for SNES from the very first possible steps, and something that's so simple that a total noob could actually follow it without being bewildered within the first few sentences?

Thanks.

PS. If there's a dedicated SNES programming forum in here that I somehow missed, please feel free to point me there.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston
  • Like 1

Already gave you links to TRSE and PVSNESlib in other topics.  So, nothing new there.

This guy has well commented source for his game made with C and PVSNESlib

https://drludos.itch.io/keeping-snes-alive

NESDev has an SNES section.

https://forums.nesdev.org/viewforum.php?f=12&sid=2871393e1caf9fda577ed5e4f2ededbe

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gemintronic said:

Already gave you links to TRSE and PVSNESlib in other topics.  So, nothing new there.

This guy has well commented source for his game made with C and PVSNESlib

https://drludos.itch.io/keeping-snes-alive

NESDev has an SNES section.

https://forums.nesdev.org/viewforum.php?f=12&sid=2871393e1caf9fda577ed5e4f2ededbe

Yeah, I had a look, and those are a couple of examples that I find unfathomable, so I don't think they're quite approaching things from my level yet. They need to be a lot more finished and user-friendly before I'll be able to understand them I think. And NESdev is full of hardcore programming nerds who literally insult people who haven't already coded on these consoles but simply want to talk about game development. Also, some guy showing source isn't going to help me just now at this earliest stage, as it's basically like looking at an alien language and more terrifying and off-putting than encouraging.

I'm probably not making myself clear because it's hard to explain, but this needs to be coming from a literal absolute ground zero start.

I think I'm really trying to find like some linear documentation that's written almost like a traditional book going from left right, top to bottom, one very clear and simple instruction at at time, first regarding how to simply setup everything required to even develop on SNES, and then takes you through learning to actually program on the system one tutorial at a time starting with the most basic elements and going from there. And, whatever tools and programs that are required to get started can't be basically cryptic riddles to be solved and problems that need to overcome in their own right, or else that's just not conducive at all.

I can't really explain what it is that's missing or not right, as I don't know it to explain it, but I'm looking for beyond simple leading to a little bit more detailed and eventually to complex, rather than convoluted and complex and then just more and more complex.

Basically, if a child couldn't follow and understand it, at least the very first steps required just to get setup in preparation for learning how to code on SNES, it's probably too complicated and not going to work for me either.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston

No.  You're explaining yourself just fine.

I come from a high level language background (QuickBASIC, Foxpro, Visual BASIC, etc..) and developed using Game Maker from version 4 to Studio 2.   I've experienced both undeservedly awesome help and horrible elitism.  Learning C and assembly has been an interesting ride to say the least.

I've been scouring the Internet for decades and trying everything including being a tester for an SNES Game Maker project. Unfortunately, these ARE the easiest options.   Sucks to be us!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

No.  You're explaining yourself just fine.

I come from a high level language background (QuickBASIC, Foxpro, Visual BASIC, etc..) and developed using Game Maker from version 4 to Studio 2.   I've experienced both undeservedly awesome help and horrible elitism.  Learning C and assembly has been an interesting ride to say the least.

I've been scouring the Internet for decades and trying everything including being a tester for an SNES Game Maker project. Unfortunately, these ARE the easiest options.   Sucks to be us!

Well, I guess one or both of two things eventually have to happen: At some point I'll just brute force my way into figuring some of the stuff out and have nightmares along the way, or I wait a long time for someone to eventually make the kind of SNES development tool/environment I'm actually waiting for. Sucks indeed! Lol

Edited by Kirk_Johnston
  • Like 1

This is just a request, but if you are going to cross-post the same topic in multiple sections of the forums I'd appreciate it if you put your postscript at the *top* and not the bottom so it looks more obviously different from its sister thread.  That way I won't get confused when I open the thread and wonder why my reply disappeared before realizing it's a different thread.

Unfortunately, the book you are looking for does not exist.  I would like to write it, but I will need several years to do it.  I think the Eyes & Lichty manual is in some sense the closest thing we have to a "how to program the SNES" book.  Reading assembly will be less scary for you after you read that.

In other news I got TRSE to work with SNES development again.  Turns out something was corrupted in my TRSE folder.  Deleted it and copied over a fresh TRSE folder from the latest download.  Both examples compile just fine.  So, the non-assembly and/or non C crowd has a fighting chance.

https://lemonspawn.com/turbo-rascal-syntax-error-expected-but-begin/

• Like 2