Revontuli Posted February 22 Share Posted February 22 (edited) Those of you who have been following me for a while know I tend to make games featuring a certain kind of creature. A creature known for: -A snake-like shape -Nasty sharp teeth -Long periods of sleep punctuated by short spurts of aggressive wakefulness -An obsession with shiny objects So, predictably, I've decided to work on a game starring a swashbuckling ferret! Eclipse is a fortune hunter roaming the land for treasure, and possibly saving the world from nefarious forces... In a console generation almost defined by side-scrolling plaformers, it's odd that I can count the number of the ones that exist on the 7800 on one hand (even including the homebrew scene's excellent work). My codebase can support a fairly sophisticated one, I think, so I'm taking a stab at it while I fine-tune "Harpy's Curse." The "engine" is building directly off of the shoulders of "Harpy's Curse" with some added features. Level sections can either be horizontal or vertical - Vertical scrolling shifts a few tiles at a time when the player is above or below a certain margin. Not quite as smooth as the horizontal scrolling, but this type of scrolling was good enough for Super Mario Bros. 2, and if I'm including both horizontal and vertical scrolling sections, this should mean I can switch between the two without having two entirely separate systems. Vertical scrolling footage here: https://youtu.be/w6Pz5ySjkq4 I need to do some adjustments on speed and the scrolling margins to make things "feel right," but the basics are there. The way I implemented things, the scrolling thinks it's "horizontal" for most of it, I just draw the tiles such that it's rotated 90 degrees. If anything it's a little simpler, since I only scroll a whole tile at a time in vertical mode. While such scrolling could be fancier, I don't think it'd be worth the extra ROM and complexity given the game's scope - I have other fish to fry on the project, and this already opens up a ton of new gameplay opportunities. Now I need to incorporate the items/enemies system from the horizontal mode. Since things like the collision detection only really care about the tiles onscreen, the main thing I need to change is having stuff appear and disappear at the top and bottom of the screen instead of left and right (basically switching the x and y coordinate checks I use from the existing code). I usually try to have every project I do require I learn at least one new thing. Aside from some type of vertical scrolling, I'm looking at the bankset system to effectively double (or more) my graphical space. I'm also looking into types of data compression like lz4 (or maybe RLE, although with the way I make levels that can often make data *bigger*) for the levels and music. Harpy's Curse used its own compression system, but the potential extra tile types mean the levels in this game will be "heavier," so I'll see how much space I really have to play with in a 128kRAMx2 layout. I'll try and post more as progress happens, and probably pose questions and observations about the new 7800Basic features I'm taking advantage of. Edited February 22 by Revontuli 12 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.