IGNORED

Atari Jaguar book: Clipped Claws

Boris K.

After two years, my book on the history of the Atari Jaguar is finished and can be downloaded for free. It was a great pleasure for me to dive into the story around this last real Atari console and talk to the people who developed for the system, were employed by Atari, sold the console and last but not least those who played with it at that time. Thanks for your insights to those who answered my questions along the way. I hope you enjoy it as well and would appreciate if you spread the word.

https://archive.org/details/clipped-claws

Clipped Claws_by Boris Kretzinger.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 12

wow 308 pages.

@Trabucco many thanks.

I would read more about two topics: Atari 7800 vs Jaguar and Atari Blossom video card vs Jaguar.

The first one - 7800's Display List (which is completely different from XL' Display List) is similar to Jaguar's Object Processor List (very similar structure and instructions). I wonder if Object Processor one was inspired by 7800.

The second one - there was a rumor that Jaguar shares some technology with Richard Miller's Atari Blossom video card (both have a fast memory bus and the blitter).  According to that post https://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?p=222157 "All three of them were from Sinclair: Richard Miller, Martin Brennan and John Mathieson.   Richard Miller called Martin Brennan and John Mathieson since he got task at Atari to make 2D console (based on his experience with Blossom)."

7 hours ago, Trabucco said:

After two years, my book on the history of the Atari Jaguar is finished and can be downloaded for free. It was a great pleasure for me to dive into the story around this last real Atari console and talk to the people who developed for the system, were employed by Atari, sold the console and last but not least those who played with it at that time. Thanks for your insights to those who answered my questions along the way. I hope you enjoy it as well and would appreciate if you spread the word.

https://archive.org/details/clipped-claws

Clipped Claws_by Boris Kretzinger.png

This was an excellent read Boris! Especially the new info by former Jaguar game devs. :)

• Like 2

Any chances to get official epub or similar formatted file? PDF is nice and work of beauty but many ereader/epaper devices (totally a "random" example: Kindle) do not play nice with PDFs. Proper epub file with reflow allowed makes it much easier to read. And the archive.org built-in OCRed epub is really crappy from this perspective.
I can personally help in doing some basic mastering of such an edition if needed.

PS: Already started to read, I love all books that show first years of our home computing and this is so interesting you can still see and even sometimes talk to some of those guys that made those machines or facilitated its creation.
PS2: Here is recording of the press conference that introduced Jaguar (yes, audio is barely acceptable - anyone want to take it and enhance it?

• Like 1

Thanks! With regard to an epub version: I am sorry to say that this is currently not on my priority list. I use a Kindle from 2012 myself, and this PDF works fine. But that is very subjective view and I hope you understand, since this is a pure passion project, that I probably will not look into that anytime soon. I will however update the file uploaded to archive.org if suggestions for additions and corrections come in via mail.

@Cyprian: A very specific deep-dive question, probably John Mathieson can say something about this. You will not find the answer in this book, I am afraid. Yet.

Edited by Trabucco
  • Like 2

Hmm, a book about Jaguar w/o even mentioning JagServer, BJL and homebrew scene?

Nothing about Native. The first real impressive homebrew game (demo) for the Jaguar.

" which correctly emulates all cartridges released for the Jaguar "

It does not emulate the cardridges. It emulates the Jaguar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the feedback, 42bs. You are right, the homebrew community on the Jaguar deserves probably a whole book. I decided only to tease that in the regarding chapter very briefly, as at some point, one has to draw a line and finish. Originally, I thought of leaving the chapter "Afterlife" out altogether. But then again, decided that maybe that will spark some interest for people not into the Jag at all right now to dip their toes into the topic and give the console a chance.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Trabucco said:

I will however update the file uploaded to archive.org if suggestions for additions and corrections come in via mail.

I am collecting lettering errors and such details while reading in my Kindle and will provide it to you. Anyway not being a native speaker this will be a limited help :) 

• Like 2

I'll definitely check this out!

It's very rare that there is any books or even record accounts of the Tramiel's ownership of Atari because that period was hardly documented (history is written by the winners, they say).  The most important question from that time is, "Why did they always make those bad decsions?"

Yep, it has a lot of errors.  On the other hand, it's his first stab at a free collection of information.

I'd recommend folks write to the creator and point out his mistakes so he can correct them.

Otherwise, the incorrect information will remain in circulation and be accepted as truthful.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ls650 said:

I'd recommend folks write to the creator and point out his mistakes so he can correct them.

Otherwise, the incorrect information will remain in circulation and be accepted as truthful.

That's a good recommendation.  Hopefully, the errors are corrected and an updated version is published. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/23/2023 at 4:16 PM, Trabucco said:

Thanks! With regard to an epub version: I am sorry to say that this is currently not on my priority list. I use a Kindle from 2012 myself, and this PDF works fine. But that is very subjective view and I hope you understand, since this is a pure passion project, that I probably will not look into that anytime soon.

In case it changes anything (probably not I know!) - the PDF format doesn’t work at all well on the new Kindle Scribe. Bad enough unfortunately to lead me to skip reading the book.

On 2/25/2023 at 6:11 PM, Trabucco said:

I will happily update it, that's the charm of a digital publication. The preface contains an e-mail adress you can write do. Cheers!

Really appreciate you sharing this with the community and taking constructive criticism onboard and 

promising to fix errors found found  by said community, in future editions. 

A few writers of ahem, note, could learn a lot from you. 

Downloading my copy now. 

Edited by Lostdragon
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Lostdragon said:

Quick correction needed. 

Edge gave AVP 4/10.

Not 5/10 as Mike Beaton claimed on P88

I realize I'm about 29 years too late to this party, but Wow!  That reviewer could not have missed the point of AvP any worse.  It's not like Doom, it's not like Doom.  Duh...it isn't Doom.  It's not trying to be Doom.  And I'm sure the timeline is documented somewhere, but it's entirely possible AvP began development before Doom even launched.

It makes me think of Marathon, another early FPS trilogy, but one that eventually led to the creation of Halo.  Marathon played nothing like Doom and was a fairly intellectual experience.  But it was constantly compared to Doom and never garnered much of a fan following.

• Like 3