IGNORED

I made a Colecovision on a breadboard

nanochess

On 3/1/2023 at 3:51 PM, leaded solder said:

That's a good build, congrats! Using the 9118 to shave most of the video DRAMs is a good improvement too.

I used the TMS9128 in my project for the same reason. However I still needed the Y, R-Y and B-Y outputs so that I could synthesize an S-Video output, hence the slightly different part number.

11 hours ago, nanochess said:

It also provides the clock signal for the whole system.

Is there a 3.58 Mhz clock coming out of the TMS9118? I never noticed that. That might have made my life a bit simpler as well ;)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mytek said:

I used the TMS9128 in my project for the same reason. However I still needed the Y, R-Y and B-Y outputs so that I could synthesize an S-Video output, hence the slightly different part number.

Is there a 3.58 Mhz clock coming out of the TMS9118? I never noticed that. That might have made my life a bit simpler as well ;)

Yeah, there’s a CPUCLK pin that comes off the 9918/9118. Sega used it in the SG-1000, but it wasn’t available to Coleco on the 9928/9929. Not sure what Sega did in PAL countries. 

There is also a GROMCLK for interacting with TI99 GROMs but I couldn’t come up with a good use for that. 

Edited by leaded solder
  • Thanks 1