IGNORED

Seeking a MacOS ou MS-windows TI file editor

fabrice montupet

I am seeking the simplest and speediest way to modify the content of TI-99 files (TI or v9t9) in DISPLAY format, in a MacOS or MS-Windows environment. I have to do many of such operations, currently I use HxD and it must be said that it is clearly not practical. If you have some idea, I will be very happy to hear you. Thank you by advance for any program suggestion.

17 minutes ago, fabrice montupet said:

I am seeking the simplest and speediest way to modify the content of TI-99 files (TI or v9t9) in DISPLAY format, in a MacOS or MS-Windows environment. I have to do many of such operations, currently I use HxD and it must be said that it is clearly not practical. If you have some idea, I will be very happy to hear you. Thank you by advance for any program suggestion.

Using Classic99 under windows with your favourite TI-99 text editor can do that.

Maybe I am missing something. ??

I use TI ImageTool, it's a great tool. But it can't edit files, when I choose to open on of my files (TI file or v9t9 file format), it says "Unknown format or image corrupt"

The files that I want to edit are made in TI Extended Basic, like this:

OPEN #1:"DSK1.MYFILE", DISPLAY

PRINT #1:A$

PRINT #1:B$

CLOSE #1

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, fabrice montupet said:

Oh sorry, I haven't told anything I do with the TI files. I want to very quickly copy/past data on any computer I use without using a TI-99/4A emulator.

Would an easy to use PC TXT file to DV80 TIFILES converter work?

• Like 1

If you are using a TIPI, you can save your files with the .?W modifier.. ( DSK1.?W.MYFILE ) for DISPLAY type files, and each record is written to a simple text file. No TIFILES header... From there the file shows up on the CIFS share (\\tipi.local\TIPI\) and you can just browse there from your modern computer and use whatever modern text editor you like. Save the file to the same share, and read it directly on your 4A. Or even just copy the entire file to your other machine. 

By default it looks like I chose to let it be Windows EOL style by default, but created an option to force UNIX EOL. https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/Native-Files#w---write-text

--- 

Alternatively, command line tools like xdm99.py can convert TIFILES or V9t9 files to plain text, and back pretty easily... 

xdm99.py -F <FIAD> -o plaintext.txt

So if I have a DISPLAY file in TIFILES format named MENU, and I want to convert it to plain text file menu.txt:  xdm99.py -F MENU -o menu.txt

To convert it back to TIFILES

xdm99.py -T menu.txt -o MENU -n MENU

You can add a -9 or -t to pick v9t9 FIAD or TIFILES respectively. 

If you are repeating something over and over, a couple custom shell scripts can make the tedious job easy. 

xdm99.py can do the same originating from DSK images instead of FIAD if desired, or you can use xhm99.py to work from HFC, or xvm99.py to work from nanoPeb type things... 

Anyway, you can script the process of getting into the intermediate text file state, and then edit with your favorite modern editor, and the convert back... 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, fabrice montupet said:

I also use Ti99Dir, it's a great and essential tool, but I can't use it for this need because it only views the files and can't edit them.

I have some of the functions already coded for writing FIAD TIFILES in TiCodEd. Currently I am busy writing a tank control,  but perhaps I can fix something together later on. Could you provide two or three examples of the files you would like to edit? 

• Like 1

Jedimatt42, thank you for the approach but I don't have a TIPI peripheral and i don't intend to buy it. The goal for me is that the files, all containing only texts records (about 30 records) keeps the original file format after being edited, they must not  be converted as plain text or any other format as the orgininal one. I will have to modify about 200 files or more, so I would like to have the less operation to do to edit the files.

SteveB, thank you for your interest. You can create a such kind a file by using the XB code I wrote on a previous message, by just replacing A$, AB,... by values.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fabrice montupet said:

I use TI ImageTool, it's a great tool. But it can't edit files, when I choose to open on of my files (TI file or v9t9 file format), it says "Unknown format or image corrupt"

Most likely because you tried to open the single file you want to edit. TIImageTool only works on images and their contents, hence its name. 🙂 You can only open image files (DSK, DTK, HFE, HD).

• Like 2

When I was working with the AfterHours source code, I was creating about 50 file categories.   I imported a file listing into Excel and used a VBA routine to process the files and write them back out as DV80. If you think something like that would help, I can send you the spreadsheet or you can search for the file here on AtariAge. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, fabrice montupet said:

Jedimatt42, thank you for the approach but I don't have a TIPI peripheral and i don't intend to buy it. The goal for me is that the files, all containing only texts records (about 30 records) keeps the original file format after being edited, they must not  be converted as plain text or any other format as the orgininal one. I will have to modify about 200 files or more, so I would like to have the less operation to do to edit the files.

The TIPI bit was for the general audience. The xdm99.py bit was for a good script writer who could automate the conversion of 200 files to plain text, make the edits they need with another script or manually with a plain editor, and then automate the conversion back. But the 'must never be converted' requirement speaks to some other hidden requirement. If you are just trying to reduce steps, I think of converting all the files to text and back as only 2 single steps (not 400)... cause computers are great at repetition. 

Other creative approaches might be asking the TI to read and rewrite the files to make the changes you need.

• Like 2

It could be a nice feature to see added to TIDir or TI ImageTool. I also had the necessity to modify a FIAD file from TXT and save it as a FIAD file again on-the-fly. Instead, I always had to use the copy&past into the Classic99 first and then modify the lines and save the file again.
I would really happy if someone could add this possibility instead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

Most likely because you tried to open the single file you want to edit. TIImageTool only works on images and their contents, hence its name. 🙂 You can only open image files (DSK, DTK, HFE, HD).

I have well seen that I had to work with images and not directly with files, so I knew that it can't helps me in the case of this thread. Your TIImageTool is great tool and I often use it  for different other needs 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 9640News said:

When I was working with the AfterHours source code, I was creating about 50 file categories.   I imported a file listing into Excel and used a VBA routine to process the files and write them back out as DV80. If you think something like that would help, I can send you the spreadsheet or you can search for the file here on AtariAge. 

Thank you for your help, your solution seems very practical and quick to implement, I'm interested !

38 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

The TIPI bit was for the general audience.

The qualities and the power of the TIPI functions are undeniable, but I don't have the use of it. In my case, I find it disproportionate to acquire a TIPI just to be able to edit TI DV80 files.
Anyway, thank you for your interest in my research.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fabrice montupet said:

Thank you for your help, your solution seems very practical and quick to implement, I'm interested !

Attached in the Excel workbook.  

I am assuming you have some familiarity with Excel.  You will need to open the unhide the Developer tab if you do not already have it displayed.  Look at the FileCreator form.

Things are not specifically coded for your application, so I will describe what the form I created does. Most things are referenced off of the "TableNames" worksheet tab.  There are column headers, Filename(40), Filename(64), and FileName(80).  The cells below it for each CATxx line entry is the filename that will be written for a 40 column DIS/VAR 80, 64 column DIS/VAR 80, and 80 column DIS/VAR 80 file.  

The other columns in that worksheet tab are an indication of where the file would end up in the File menu system of the AfterHours BBS so if someone added an entry to any of the specific CATxx worksheets.

The VBA code I do not believe maximizes sector usage, such that I think three 40 line files or three 80 column files would stilltake up one sector of space.  

The code writes out an appropriate TIFILES header.  if I recall correctly, the number of either sectors or records are part of the TIFILES header.

The form collects information on where files are located and to be written.

Hope this helps you.

Beery

FileCreator Version5.xlsm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, 9640News said:

Attached in the Excel workbook.  

Thank you very much for your Excel workbook and the time you spent for me. I took a look at your work, it's clever and well done. But when I read your first message, I thought that your spreadsheet would help me to easily and quickly make what I would like after (of course) some modification to correspond to my need. But It can't. The Excel process is too heavy time consuming, even more that the one I already do with my HEX editor.

9 hours ago, fabrice montupet said:

I will have to modify about 200 files or more, so I would like to have the less operation to do to edit the files.

Well, the video and its title are a bit misleading...

DOITAGAIN, is not specifically for Tagvillage(whatever that is). 
DOITAGAIN, helps simplify repeated windows tasks, by learning and then mimicking the user's mouse and keyboard actions. Thus reducing the need for user-input.

Entire tasks, or parts thereof, can be initiated from the DOITAGAIN application's window.

• Like 1

OK! It can be very practical for some repetitive tasks, but I don't think it can helps me.  I just would like to be able to just copy some text and past it into a MS-Windows or MacOS program that can edit DV files. Nothing else. So as a such operation would take very few time, repeat it on about 200 files will be not a problem since I will not have to do that in the same day as I will have to think about the content of  my texts before copy them.