IGNORED

Mortal Kombat demo on the Atari Jaguar

alucardX

Don't really think a fairly static character select screen fits the bill of "Proves the jaguar could do it".  I don't doubt that it would be do able on the jag, but that example is a long way off proving the parallax, sprite counts etc.  Good that he gave it a shot and hopefully had fun.  Seeing a level or two rendered would be a much better demo however (IMHO).

• Like 4

Ah come on, give the guy a break! I think it's a good idea to create a PoC to see if arcade quality is possible on Jaguar. And yes sure, it's not even the beginning of a game, there is a ton of work before seeing anything playable, but that's a good start, at least. So let's try to be a bit positive for once :) 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

51 minutes ago, LordKraken said:

Ah come on, give the guy a break! I think it's a good idea to create a PoC to see if arcade quality is possible on Jaguar. And yes sure, it's not even the beginning of a game, there is a ton of work before seeing anything playable, but that's a good start, at least. So let's try to be a bit positive for once :) 

I'm with you! I grew up with MK and was pre ordering them and lots of quarters until they came, if he can do it, I'm in.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, LordKraken said:

Yeah a quick PoC is a great idea, but the concept here is "Mortal Kombat" not "Character Selection screen".  We all know the Jaguar can play samples, do sprites and animation, this proves nothing with regards to the Jaguar's capabilities to do the target game.  I am not knocking him for getting what he has going and having fun doing it, but claiming it's a "start" or PoC is a significant stretch. 

To my mind a PoC would show that the parallax was viable with 2 animated characters, not fighting or even controllable, just 2 characters cycling through animations whilst the screen moved around the full extents of the playarea.  That would be a better PoC, as it would be doing all the key graphical needs of the game without spending the time needed to add in the controls, AI, game states, score, UI etc etc etc.

There are waaaay too many "I'm making a game, look I have this cool intro/screen/animation" projects, (often followed with box and cart mockups), which then go no where as it turns out "Making games is actually hard". 

Not knocking the desire here at all, have at it, make an MK clone for the Jag, do it.  :D

• Like 6

I give him credit for doing some programming on the Jag and making what I would argue is a decent video for it. Perhaps this will attract more people to program for the Jaguar. He's showing just how damn nice the Jaguar looks doing 2D using a game MANY people know and love. He's also using the arcade graphics as the basis. Anyone that doesn't know the Jag will be able to identify it as an impressive feat when compared to the SNES / MegaDrive version. It may not be a showing that is doing much compared to developers that have released a game, but it is a very welcome addition to the list of Jaguar videos on the tubey site.

It also shows the Raptor API in use!!!

• Like 5

His PoC was not to see if a 2d side scroller was doable, but if he could achieve Arcade quality, which he did. Plus the video is quite cool in how he explained the difference between arcade and jag. He probably put more time doing the video than the coding, but hey that's apparently his first project on Jag. And yeah thanks to Raptor too :)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, agradeneu said:

Very cool project, I hope it will go further. The potential for an Arcade perfect port is there.

Converting the characters to 8 bit color would free up a lot RAM, propably allowing all 12 animation frames.

8 bit color would look great,anyway best of luck to him it's cool to see projects done in Raptor.

Edited by Jag_Mag
  • Like 2

Comparing to what we had to do on the Lynx, doing it on Jaguar should be piss easy ; ). 2MB ram, good resolution, so just throw original sprites and parallax background, done, GPU shouldn even be strerssed. On the lynx the uber problem was 48k RAM (without banking); 16kb for the screen (additional info: the lynx version going to be finished not yet but we aim this year for closure).

• Like 10

7 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

I mean if it could be done on Lynx it can totally be done on Jaguar; it's just a matter of someone clever taking the time and energy to do it.  I don't think anyone believes the Jag "Can't Handle" MK, MK2 or MK3 from a hardware perspective. 

I don't know anything about programming, but I did think Kasumi Ninja and Ultra Vortek did prove this from a "looks" perspective at least.   

• Like 7