IGNORED

Mortal Kombat demo on the Atari Jaguar

alucardX

55 minutes ago, Bill Loguidice said:

Some friendly advice for number 2 is that since it's such a leap from a game like 1 to a game like 2, I'd suggest that you have little chance of receiving funding. You're not only going to a whole other level of complexity, but also treading on an active copyright when requesting research/development money. Besides the whole legality of it all - which you can choose to bear or not - there's also the fact that no one has come close to pulling off an arcade quality port the scale of a Mortal Kombat on the Jaguar, so there's no precedent on top of all of the other baggage you have at the moment. That's not saying it can't be done, it's just presenting the stark reality of the situation and what you're suggesting.

Thanks Bill

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
16 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

"RAPTOR out of the box can only handle 7 or 8 frames of animation" is incorrect.

Look forward to seeing more of this one. Keep it up.

In my case, that was the max because Raptor required the frames to be arranged vertically and the max image height is 1024, so I could only fit 8 frames in one sprite.  Sorry, I didn’t explain that very well in the video.

7 hours ago, trufun101 said:

In my case, that was the max because Raptor required the frames to be arranged vertically and the max image height is 1024, so I could only fit 8 frames in one sprite.  Sorry, I didn’t explain that very well in the video.

The max image height isn't 1024.  I have images several thousand pixels high.

Please, if you think you've found a limitiation or something blocking you, do feel free to come and ask in the forums here or on the JagStudio discord, or just PM me.  I'd much rather that than have inaccuracies that will get endlessly reverberated around the universe, and I'd be happy to help.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, mdkdue said:

This looks very promising, amazing work.

As a non programmer I also appreciated how you explained everything clearly and showed us how it all comes together, it was really interesting.

I actually liked that aspect of the video, where he explains in detail how he adapted such and such element from the Game.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gunther said:
On 2/25/2023 at 3:14 PM, Stephen said:

Yeah - not knocking the guy, but a simple title screen with some 8-frame animated sprites is nowhere near proof that the full game could be done.

Wahhh.

Someone is making a new Jaguar game that isn't me....

Wahhh.

Where the hell did you get that idea from what I posted?  I wish them luck.  Go back through time and try to count how many times someone popped up and promised the world, then delivered nothing.  I guarantee you it is a number MORE than 2 digits.  After nearly 30 years of this, tell me why I am not allowed to be skeptical?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 11/3/2023 at 11:22 AM, Stephen said:

Where the hell did you get that idea from what I posted?  I wish them luck.  Go back through time and try to count how many times someone popped up and promised the world, then delivered nothing.  I guarantee you it is a number MORE than 2 digits.  After nearly 30 years of this, tell me why I am not allowed to be skeptical?

I think the most surprising thing to me and maybe it isn't meant in such a way is the idea of *if* the Jaguar can even handle an arcade port of Mortal Kombat in the first place, which seems absurd to me. Then again, I tend to forget the massive 3-decade gap where there are a ton of new people exploring the Jag who genuinely may not know or believe the system is capable of such a simple port. *by simple, I mean in terms of processing power required, not the amount of work to make it so* Though I would think after seeing just a few of the higher regarded games like AvP and Doom, it wouldn't be even on the table as a serious question.

Edited by Clint Thompson

7 minutes ago, Clint Thompson said:

I think the most surprising thing to me and maybe it isn't meant in such a way is the idea of *if* the Jaguar can even handle an arcade port of Mortal Kombat in the first place, which seems absurd to me. Then again, I tend to forget the massive 3-decade gap where there are a ton of new people exploring the Jag who genuinely may not know or believe the system is capable of such a simple port. *by simple, I mean in terms of processing power required, not the amount of work to make it so* Though I would think after seeing just a few of the higher regarded games like AvP and Doom, it wouldn't be even on the table as a serious question.

There's no logic when it comes to what people think the Jaguar can/should be able to do vs reality.  People question if it can run MK.... and then in the same breath demand Quake 3 Arena.  Clueless doesn't even begin to describe it.

Anyway, RAPTOR can eat the requirements for this for breakfast.  The leg work is in the design and implementation.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

I'd say that @trufun101 is making some progress on design and implementation as he learns JagStudio. I think his humble effort is commendable. Also, we haven't seen one single spreadsheet explaining how many Scorpion sprites with color swaps he can put on the screen at one time. I'd say he's really on the right track.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...