IGNORED

Stan Awards 2003!!!

StanJr

Hello all. Its about that time of year again....or is it? I had originally planned to discontinue the Stan Atari Excellence Awards (http://atariage.com/features/Stan2002/index.html), due to lack of funding, but then I got an outpouring of support from several, what I consider to be important, sources. So I'm toying with the idea of continuing the Awards, something I would LOVE to do, but had no idea there was any interest in outside myself. So before I start looking to drum up funding, I would as a few things from you in terms of feedback:

1. First, how much interest is there in these Awards? Does anybody besides me care about them?

2. What did you like about last year's awards and what could have been improved.

3. As it stands I am dropping the Prototype Release of the Year Award (too hard to judge and create criteria for, plus I don't want to reward proto-hoarders for doing what they should do anyway!). Is this a good idea or a bad idea, or do you care?

4. There are currently 3 awards: Homebrew of the Year, Hack of the Year, and what I am affectionately calling the "Thomas Jentzsch Award for Outstanding Atari Achievement." Would you like to see other awards in addition to these (keeping in mind, I'd like to keep the number of awards under 10, and around 5)

5. Finally, should I simply grant the Awards as I see fit? Or should I allow for nominations from the community as well?

I'd LOVE to do these things again, they were NO end of joy for me last year. Your feedback is of PARAMOUNT importance to me and will help me decide if I am to do them again, and if so, how to do them so that they best serve the community. I am also in need of MUCH help producing the actual awards (carts, labels, perhaps some playfield programming, that sort of thing), so if you would like to help, please contact me.

thanks

yer pal

Stan :)

The Stan awards were great. I think just about everyone likes your down to earth gaming thoughts.

5.  Finally, should I simply grant the Awards as I see fit?  Or should I allow for nominations from the community as well?  

I don't really have any good ideas right now except for this one. You should do what a lot of newspapers and magazines do for the the 'Best Of' issues. Have your own editorial award and then also include the public opinion winner. Maybe Al or someone can set you up with a poll with your top 5 or top 10 nominees for each category that people can vote on. I always like when the editors and the public disagree, it's funny to see if the editors admit the public knows better or if they mock :)

1.  First, how much interest is there in these Awards?  Does anybody besides me care about them?

I was looking forward to this again. There are a lot of good things released this year.

2.  What did you like about last year's awards and what could have been improved.

It was new and I liked the whole concept.

What I would like to see is possibly branching out to other Atari systems (possibly other systems too -- SIC for Colecovision and Protector for Vectrex :D) There is a lot of activity in all the Atari systems. I'd think you'd want help in these areas though. Maybe the forum moderators could help.

3.  As it stands I am dropping the Prototype Release of the Year Award (too hard to judge and create criteria for, plus I don't want to reward proto-hoarders for doing what they should do anyway!).  Is this a good idea or a bad idea, or do you care?

I don't know. I think these could be awarded too. There were a number of these released this year.

4.  There are currently 3 awards:  Homebrew of the Year, Hack of the Year, and what I am affectionately calling the "Thomas Jentzsch Award for Outstanding Atari Achievement."  Would you like to see other awards in addition to these (keeping in mind, I'd like to keep the number of awards under 10, and around 5)

How about...

Best sound/music

Best concept or most original concept

Best replay value

Best new technology?

Most fun in a few bytes

Best use of a controller

Best graphics/animation

5.  Finally, should I simply grant the Awards as I see fit?  Or should I allow for nominations from the community as well?

Hmmm....I think nominations would be good or at least a player's choice award :D

Hi there!

1.  First, how much interest is there in these Awards?

10/10

What did you like about last year's awards and what could have been improved.

Hm...I didn't like the prototype and the hack Award too much. Don't want to go too much into details. Programmer snobbery, you know :)

I'd prefer to see a best graphics and best music awards instead. I like that it's focused on the 2600. I think Digital Press is already covering the "All but Atari" homebrew awards good enough, so it's good to have our own.

As it stands I am dropping the Prototype Release of the Year Award Is this a good idea or a bad idea, or do you care?

Excellent!

I'd opt for the first. After all, it's the "Stan Awards". :)

And a community poll can be done any time.

I am also in need of MUCH help producing the actual awards (carts, labels, perhaps some playfield programming, that sort of thing), so if you would like to help, please contact me.

Well, it's a weird situation. Helping you here could be considered as bribing, or? :|

Greetings,

Manuel

"Best New Programmer" ?????

Oh, and any help I get will in NO way influence my choices. Lobbying never has and NEVER WILL work with me. You win my awards on your own merits. there are no gifts!

Keep the feedback coming! I'm soaking it all in and will discuss more later!

thanks.

Stan :) :)

Hi there!

"Best New Programmer"  ?????

Not necessarily. It can be any guy bringing in new ideas into our community. From hombrew programmer to Hacker to Emulator programmer to composer to artist to event organizer to ...

You know, the new guy bringing some fresh thoughts, backing them up with cool stuff, inspiring others.

The award like Paul should've won last year, both for revolutioning VCS music and for his innovative use of paddle and keypad controlers.

Greetings,

Manuel

"Best New Programmer"  ?????
Not necessarily

Exactly.

:idea: Somebody who has started with something new (for him) during the last year. Like Manuel explained, this could be somebody who released his first homebrew game, started with his first website, created the first tool for programmers/hackers/collectors etc., organized his first event, a new member on AA... (you get the idea)

And IMO this must not be only one prize, you could group it into different categories too. You decide.

BTW: How about a "Best Comeback" category? "And the winner is Jah Fish!" :D

I kind like the stan awards (Awards for game programing and such sounds cool)

a question about the hack awards: is for hacks listed in the hack section of AA, hacks that have been made into carts, or is it hacks in general (I know my first hack laserman2k3 haven't been listed in the hack section

but it's in the hack forum(no I wasn't plugging for my hack, just currious))

Dan Iacovelli

I'm liking the idea of the newcomer award, but right now everyone has it going in some many directions that its hard to pin down. Exactly what is the award for, and HOW is it different from the Atari Achievement Award that I already give out?

Dan, I am wresting with that decision as well. I'm thinking it would almost HAVE to be one that is released, since that is going to push most hacks over the threshold in terms of criteria. But it does not have to be limited to that. I'd be interested to hear what everyone else thinks about these awards, especially the hackers. :)

Dan, I am wresting with that decision as well.  I'm thinking it would almost HAVE to be one that is released, since that is going to push most hacks over the threshold in terms of criteria.  But it does not have to be limited to that.  I'd be interested to hear what everyone else thinks about these awards, especially the hackers. :)

correct me if I'm wrong don't most of the hacks now in days have to get premission from the orginal creator of the game for the hack to released in carts(I think that what hapened at hozer )

when you say hacks that released, you do mean in cart form right and not just in rom for emulator use.

(It does mention rom form in the stan awards page)

Dan Iacovelli

Hi StanJr,

Maybe you could make an award for "Best Homebrew by a New Artist".

(no lobbying here, since Tank AI won't get done in 2003)

A comment about the trophies: I know there has been talk about making a custom ROM for each prize, but I like the way you did it in 2002, attaching a new label to Combat. Maybe you could use a different game each year. It happens that there are enough rarity 1 titles to last a long time (even excluding the less popular ones) This way, the prizes would be consistent with last year, and would be very simple to produce.

I was looking forward to this again. There are a lot of good things released this year.

Looks like you better get a move on there, Bucko! Three short months to go in order for you to be in the running!

Dan, I had set the criteria last year to include ALL hacks created for 2002. But with the abundance of Hacks released and sold in cart form, I was thinking about either altering the Hack of the Year award criteria, or creating two separate awards, one for cart releases and one for ROM releases w/x cart release.

I am not aware of any trouble with original programmers. :?: :?

Deadline for games to be eligible for awards will be somewhere around Dec. 16 2003. (Assume I can pull this off)

Zach, I may indeed have to go the same route as last year with the relabelled carts, but we were kicking around the idea of having a simple playfield written with the award title and winner on it for each award last spring and it would be pretty neat. But that sort of thing is a pure luxury and easily given the boot if funding does not permit.

What would you people say to an actual award presentation at next year's Philly Classic? :?:

I like the Stan Awards! :)

Would it be possible to use Andrew Davie's Interleaved Chronocolor to create a "trophy screen" on an EPROM in a cart shell instead of a Combat cart?

If not enough funds, I like the idea mentioned about choosing another rarity #1 game for the award carts.

I think you should have the final vote about who wins what, but I will make a vote for Eckhard to receive the TJ Achievement Award this year! 8)

I also like the idea of: Best New Atari-related Innovation or Technology Award

As far as the Best Hack Award, I vote for only hacks that are in cart form since there have been so many emulated hacks done lately( including your own )

Although, your Tomb Raider Hack is very cool! :D

I do like the idea of a people's choice award, but only for homebrews maybe. I'm not terribly concerned about my hacks winning anything. I just did them for fun, they have already won awards forr me if someone played them and enjoyed them. :)

I'll have much more on the Stan Awards and perhaps and announcement sometime next week. :)

Would it be possible to use Andrew Davie's Interleaved Chronocolor to create a "trophy screen" on an EPROM in a cart shell instead of a Combat cart?

That was my vote for best new technology.

I think you should have the final vote about who wins what, but I will make a vote for Eckhard to receive the TJ Achievement Award this year!  8)

I second than nomination! :thumbsup: :)

I third that :)

I fourth that :!: