IGNORED

Stan Awards 2003!!!

StanJr

Perhaps some new categories would be cool so non-technical minded members out there can win awards too. Here's a few ideas for some other categories....

1) An award for heightening public awareness of our hobby in other public forums (for injecting Atari displays into other types of shows, writing an article for a magazine or newspaper, etc.)

2) Trader of the year

3)How about awards to acknowledge the hunters (The Thrift Finds thread gets a lot of posts and looks) both in the wild (for down and dirty scavenging at flea markets, thrifts, and yard sales) "Scavenger of the Year" sounds nice, and on ebay (for good BIN finds, etc.) Perhaps these could be regional--Australia, Europe, North America, South America.

Sorry, if this was already mentioned, but how about expanding to include hardware?

There have been quite a few cool hardware mods over the psat year, especially in the controller department.

Also, I'd like to nominate Andrew Davie for an achievement award for all the hard work he's done in the programming for newbies forum.

Alright! The Stan Awards!

Hmm.

Will you have a best Homebrew label award?

I really like the label for Backfire.

I dunno man. I haven't been paying enough attention to what was already said in this thread.

I do think that several people deserve a lot of recognization for their efforts in programming and exploiting new technologies for Atari systems.

Perhaps some new categories would be cool so non-technical minded members out there can win awards too. Here's a few ideas for some other categories....

1) An award for heightening public awareness of our hobby in other public forums (for injecting Atari displays into other types of shows, writing an article for a magazine or newspaper, etc.)

2) Trader of the year

3)How about awards to acknowledge the hunters (The Thrift Finds thread gets a lot of posts and looks) both in the wild (for down and dirty scavenging at flea markets, thrifts, and yard sales) "Scavenger of the Year" sounds nice, and on ebay (for good BIN finds, etc.) Perhaps these could be regional--Australia, Europe, North America, South America.

I've been thinking about this. It's really hard to come up with criteria for these types of awards. And trader of the year would have to be limited to people I have traded or dealt with, unless it was a nominated award. I'll keep these in mind though. Thanks!

I considered a hardware award last year, buy couldn't figure out enough entrants to make it worth an award. I'm not entirely sure a modification would count, and it really couldn't coexist in a catagory with completely new hardware, which limits the scope of the award further. I'd love to do a hardware award though. If you think of it, please list the custom hardware and/or mods you had in mind. Thanks!

Stan

The Stan awards are great and although you take input I think the award should be given by Stan. We trust you to put thought and time into the awards and the choosing of the recipients. I would also recommend not having too many awards. Fewer awards makes them more important and significant in my opinion. Remember those elementray school contests where everyone took home a ribbon - oh boy 13th place in the long jump or 7th place in best finger-painting :).

Looking forward to hearing the winners!

ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!

I'm 90% sure the Stan Awards are on! :)

As of today, here are the awards to be presented:

2600 Homebrew of the Year

2600 Hack of the Year

The Thomas Jentzsch Achievement Award (Last year's Atari Excellence Award)

Player's Choice Award (details on this are still sketchy, see below!)

The Deadline for ALL entrants to be considered is December 13th 2003.

Thoughts that continue to roll around my skull (feedback will be appreciated):

I'd like to do a "Best New Programmer" award, but is there enough competition to make this even worthwhile? Should it be limited to programming? If not, then what else?

I'd LOVE to do a "Best Convention" award, but its simply not economic for me to make it to EVERY con (especially those overseas!), and that would not be fair, especially if shows are booked so close like what happened this summer with like 3 shows in one month!

I'd still like to do an actual presentation (assuming there are awards) at next year's Philly Classic. Could and would winners be willing to attend the event (I doubt I could foot your travel expense, at least not this year :sad:) Would there be interest in show-goers to see something like this?

I think a "Best Hardware" award would be neat, but I have no way to test each piece out (economic issues again). But, more importantly, is there enough hardware developed each year to necessitate an award?

Finally, in regards to the Player's Choice Award, should this award be comprehensive, Homebrew exclusive, or what? What would be the best criteria for a Player's Choice Award?

Finally, if the awards are to be MORE than just phantom acknowledgements, I am going to require the following (either free or for minimal cost :) ) a label designer for the award carts (I can supply the carts), a producer for the labels themselves, and perhaps, if we want to get REALLY ambitious, a programmer to write a simple text playfield for each award. If you would like to help out with ANY of this, please contact me via PM or e-mail. Again, I assure you, those who help me out will recieve FULL acknowledgement for their efforts, but assistance will not in anyway affect my award selection!

I'm very excited about pulling this all together again this year and I hope it will be as much of a success as last year if not more! Thanks to everyone who gave me feedback! :) :) :) :) :)

:spidey: :spidey: :spidey: :spidey: :spidey:

• 1 month later...

UPDATE****UPDATE*******UPDATE******

After a month-long caucus, I have arrived at the final decisions for this year's Stan Awards!

ATTENTION ALL YE WHO CARE:

The Stan Awards this year will be as follows:

2600 Homebrew of the Year

2600 Hack of the Year

Atari Event of the Year (see below)

Player's Choice Award (see below)

The Thomas Jentzsch Atari Achievement Award

Three of these awards are same as last year in terms of qualifications (see last year's Stan Awards FEATURE for more details) Two new awards have been added. The EVENT award will be awarded for ANY event that raised awareness or spread the love that is Atari during the past year. This can be anything, from a swap meet to giving away Atari carts at Halloween. This can awarded to anyone from contest promoters to convention organizers. It is an award for an EVENT during the past year that increased the love and awareness of Atari.

Also added is the much requested Player's Choice Award. This award, COMPLETELY voted on by YOU the viewer is for ANYTHING Atari related released in the past year. Games, Hardware, Hacks, Mods, ANYTHING for ANY Atari system (800 computers, 5200, Lynx, etc). More will be posted about how to nominate and vote for your favs next week.

The DEADLINE for ANYTHING to be considered for a 2003 Stan Award is a PUBLIC RELEASE date BEFORE MIDNIGHT Dec. 15 2003. If something is released past that date it will qualify for NEXT year's awards should that come to pass. Conversely, all things considered for the 2003 Stan Awards must have been released during the 2003 calendar year.

Further details on the Stan Awards to come next week. That is all, resume your lives as if nothing happened here.

Thank you

Stan

Hi there!

Further details on the Stan Awards to come next week.  That is all, resume your lives as if nothing happened here.

Next week as in *this* week? ;)

For the players choice, will there be a nominating run followed by a voting run or how is it planned?

Greetings,

Manuel

oops! Yeah, um this week, sure....

Sorry, I've been SOOOOO busy sorting through hacks that I completely forgot.

The Player's Choice Award will be voted on by YOU the player. Anyone who plays video games or enjoys them in any respect. I had considered a nomination round, but have decided against it. I feel that it takes too long and everyone will just nominate what they want to vote for anyway. So instead we will go straight to the voting. Voting for the PCA will begin later this month. I will announce the voting terms and regulations in a separate thread when that time comes.

If you have further questions in the meantime, please feel free to post them here and I will do my best to answer them!

Thanks!

more updates soon, I hope!

Stan :)

• 2 weeks later...

The deadline is FAST approaching!!!! I'm pretty excited, I've got a LOT of games to play in the coming holiday weeks (weee what a job!)

Keep your eyes GLUED to the Event Forum for the OFFICIAL 2003 STAN PLAYER'S CHOICE AWARD ballot, coming soon!!!!!

I'm excited, are you?

UPDATE****UPDATE*******UPDATE******

The DEADLINE for ANYTHING to be considered for a 2003 Stan Award is a PUBLIC RELEASE date BEFORE MIDNIGHT Dec. 15 2003.  If something is released past that date it will qualify for NEXT year's awards should that come to pass.  Conversely, all things considered for the 2003 Stan Awards must have been released during the 2003 calendar year.

OK, the Interleaved Chronocolour makes it in, as it's been publicly available through the AA Holiday GreetingCart. I'd like my trophy sent airmail, thanks.

And you can send your HEFTY bribe priority mail, please! :D  :D  :D  :D

Will Stan maintain his independance and integrity, or possibly sacrifice it by allowing himself to be "persuaded" by the provision of a limited-release AtariAge HolidayCart? We may never know, but the rumours will always be there. Might as well just give in to the dark side.