IGNORED

AtariVox weirdness

insertclevernamehere

I have just got an AtariVox and was hoping to use speakers I already own to get the digitized voices.  I have a speaker with an ipod dock and an audio in port at the back and a bluetooth speaker with a headphone port in the back.  I also found what looks like an audio cable in a cupboard and it fits so hopefully it is.  

I also have Juno First and Wizard of Wor from the AA store to check out the digitized voices.  I plugged the AtariVox into joystick port 2 as per instructions and plugged one end of the audio cable into the back of the AtariVox and the other into the back of the speaker. Problem is that with either of the speakers attached, the digitized voices come out of the TV speaker.  Nothing comes out of either speaker at all.  Not only that but I get white lines all over the screen every time the digitized voices come on.

Am I simply using the wrong speakers, the wrong cable or could there be something wrong with my AtariVox?

E83FC6A1-CDA9-4A9A-B1B4-2300E45EABD1.jpeg

B9A10F37-7158-4F01-893D-CB2603FD02E4.jpeg

Does your console have some sort of AV mod/upgrade in place? Because the AVox should NOT be heard through the atari's normal output on RF or anything else without using external speakers connected to it. Not sure about an iPad dock as I'm strictly a droid user, but on my bluetooth speaker in my office I have to purposely switch it to a line in mode with buttons on it for the line in jack to actually work.

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Does your console have some sort of AV mod/upgrade in place? Because the AVox should NOT be heard through the atari's normal output on RF or anything else without using external speakers connected to it. Not sure about an iPad dock as I'm strictly a droid user, but on my bluetooth speaker in my office I have to purposely switch it to a line in mode with buttons on it for the line in jack to actually work.

Pretty sure it’s not modded.  I certainly haven’t modded it.

16 minutes ago, insertclevernamehere said:

Pretty sure it’s not modded.  I certainly haven’t modded it.

Well in any event the AVox only outputs audio from the audio port on it. It doesn't have a means to back feed it through the system. So I'm not sure how you are able to hear it on your TV without a cable connected to it in some way.

From the video it looks and sounds like the TV is getting severely distorted AtariVox+ audio as RF interference which is also causing video RF interference.

I'd play with the AtariVox+ gain knob to ensure your Logitech UE Mobile Boombox is getting enough volume over its audio input. A side note, on mine, when it's turned up too high it causes glitches in speech.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, glurk said:

I suspect that both your iPod dock and Bluetooth speaker have headphone OUT jacks, and neither has an actual line IN.  Neither one is really designed to be a general purpose external speaker.

This is only my suspicion, as I do not know the mode / specifics of either.

This makes sense.  I’m going to have to buy pc speakers.  Amazon basics ones will hopefully do.

1 hour ago, MrZarniwoop said:

It looks like a Logitech UE Mobile Boombox, which does have an audio in jack.

There are no markings on the boombox itself but the manual just states "audio jack".  It doesn't specify in or out.  You say in, so it should work?  

1 hour ago, glurk said:

I suspect that both your iPod dock and Bluetooth speaker have headphone OUT jacks, and neither has an actual line IN.  Neither one is really designed to be a general purpose external speaker.

This is only my suspicion, as I do not know the mode / specifics of either.

According to MrZarniwoop, the UE boombox has an audio in jack and the Sony speakers with the ipod port say "audio in" so I guess that's not the issue.

1 hour ago, MrZarniwoop said:

From the video it looks and sounds like the TV is getting severely distorted AtariVox+ audio as RF interference which is also causing video RF interference.

I'd play with the AtariVox+ gain knob to ensure your Logitech UE Mobile Boombox is getting enough volume over its audio input. A side note, on mine, when it's turned up too high it causes glitches in speech.

You mean the volume the manual advises you adjust with a screwdriver?  I have turned it about halfway back to off and that did reduce the amount of visual interference on screen.  If I reduce the volume even more, I guess I will hopefully get no more visual interference but will the digitized voices also start coming out of the speaker instead of the tv?

I'm worried about continuing to experiment in case I'm causing damage to my AtariVox, TV or 2600 or a combination of some or all of it.

At the same time, I don't want to buy other speakers if it doesn't solve the issue.  I guess I could always return them if it doesn't.

2 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

What video is being talked about? I don't see a video linked in this thread? I'm assuming this is something discussed in PMs?

I think they must've seen the video I posted in an existing AtariVox thread that's in 2600 programming.  I wasn't getting much feedback there so I created my own thread here.

Sounds like the cable between the TV and Atari and the cable between the AtariVox and the speaker are joined somewhere.
The AtariVox output is being put onto RF cable and merging with the RF signal.
The TV interprets part of that signal as audio (hence hearing it on the TV) and part of it as video (hence lines on the TV).

As someone said above, the sockets on the speaker are probably audio out (not in), so nothing is heard from them.

I tried a different cable tonight.  One that came with my wireless headphones.  I also turned the volume down on the AtariVox a little more and voila, digitized voices now coming out of the Bluetooth boombox and no visual interference.  So one or both of those things made a difference.  I’m just glad the problem is now gone.

• Like 3