IGNORED

Just joined the forum

Howdy folks. I recently got reinterested in the old 8 bit computers, more specifically the C64 and while I was at it I decided to bring the TI99/4A I bought several years ago (for $20) back to life.

I learned to program (BASIC) on my mom's TI99/4A after hurting my back in 1983. bought a C64 to have a computer of my own shortly after learning on the TI. I ended up going to DeVry in Phoenix shortly after that. I built a PC while at school out of a 4.77/10 MHz motherboard my brother had bought in Malaysia so my days of C64 came to an end.

I went to work for Hughes Aircraft in 1987 and retired in 2009 and went to work for an antenna company and semi-retired from there in 2021.

A few weeks ago I bought a C64 and 1541 and got it hooked up to an HDMI monitor using the Composite out. I realized I could use the same DIN cable for the TI.

Now I would like to spend some time getting their keyboards responsive again and do some programming since I spent a large part of the last 36 years programing in VB and PHP so I'm a lot better at it then I used to be.

Don Lafferty

San Tan Valley, AZ

Edited by donlafferty
Add name and location

Never took apart TI99, but my C64c keyboard is easy to revitalize. I just desolder the shift/lock clicky key wires, and remove the backing. The keys use carbon dots on the board traces. A little cleaning of the board, and it always gets going, after long inactivity. I've used same one since '87-'88 school year, but take the spare out for refreshing, every so often.

As a user of both computers, I haven't heard of someone getting a 1541 to talk to a TI-99/4a. There have been plenty of other interesting disk solutions worked out that should work for you. Check the solder points of your keyboard ribbon. Sometimes the brittle wires fail on either the ribbon to keyboard or somewhere between the keyboard and the mobo. I've never tried cleaning the mylar, but after other attempts and if you have a fair hand with a soldering iron, it might be worth a shot. Visit us on the TI forum and plenty of folks would be happy to help you trouble shoot.