IGNORED

Taking a look at Vicious Circle

awbacon

Once I found out that tramiel atari and arcade game atari were separate companies, I was always wondering what atari games would have done on Jaguar. After all, they released several great games/ports on the NES and Genesis as tengen, so it's not like it would have been beneath them to do some console dev.

In that regard it has been interesting to check out the cojag games via emulation to get a glimpse of this possible alternate reality. Overall I'd say that had the cojag stuff come out for the home system, it probably wouldn't have made a big splash or hugely impressed anyone compared to what games on competing systems were doing around 1996.  

Which then leads me to the question... Why did atari games bother with developing anything for this complex and highly unique cojag hardware?  

1 hour ago, sirlynxalot said:

Once I found out that tramiel atari and arcade game atari were separate companies, I was always wondering what atari games would have done on Jaguar. After all, they released several great games/ports on the NES and Genesis as tengen, so it's not like it would have been beneath them to do some console dev.

In that regard it has been interesting to check out the cojag games via emulation to get a glimpse of this possible alternate reality. Overall I'd say that had the cojag stuff come out for the home system, it probably wouldn't have made a big splash or hugely impressed anyone compared to what games on competing systems were doing around 1996.  

Which then leads me to the question... Why did atari games bother with developing anything for this complex and highly unique cojag hardware?  

What other options for arcade hardware did they have? Developing their own new hardware chipset comparable to Cojags specs would have cost them a LOT of money. Licensing the Jaguar chipset was quite a cheap and clever option.

Area 51 was a big hit BTW, so it worked for them.

• Like 3

I just kinda assumed the last board they used for primal Rage was probably good enough for most of the cojag stuff. Maybe expand it a bit with some more memory or a higher clock speed since a few years had gone by. It could already stream animations off a hdd quickly for use in a fighting game and the cojag stuff didn't really look next level compared to primal Rage. 

Clearly that's too simple a view though since they felt it necessary to use cojag for primal Rage 2.

Edited by sirlynxalot

21 hours ago, awbacon said:

Sadly it seems like the CoJag based board had as many cancelled games made for it as it did released games. I can't say that I dont understand why this game was cancelled...but its still a bummer

For a proto, it looks pretty good IMO.

Not as good as Killer Instinct, but it goes in a very similar direction, for technology and gfx style.

Of course it does not look very polished, how far was it in development? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, agradeneu said:

For a proto, it looks pretty good IMO.

Not as good as Killer Instinct, but it goes in a very similar direction, for technology and gfx style.

Of course it does not look very polished, how far was it in development? 

stories say 60% but who knows how true that is