IGNORED

HSC20 Round 4: Moon Patrol Redux *New Season - Join In*

MOON PATROL REDUX

Moon Patrol but not as we know it! checkout the Moon Patrol Redux thread here on atariage ;)

https://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=7762

PLAY FROM THE START EACH TIME ON BEGINNER, IT SHOULD LEVEL UP AUTOMATICALLY LIKE THE ORIGINAL

TOP PLAYERS - NO PRACTISING ON THE HARDER SKILL LEVEL OR USING CONTINUES PLEASE ;)

image.png.fa2e9f8730041b73f0edce703d78c1e0.png

Emulator users: from the menu screen options set overscan to Normal it will not have the borders (then you don't see the stuff you're not meant to see)

Review: Checkout my review of Moon Patrol vs Moon Patrol Redux in Issue 15 of Pro(c) Atari Magazine

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/317849-pro-c-atari-issue-15-available/#comment-4767453

Comments and hints from last time we played...

trbb:

Moon Patrol is the perfect HSC game, not too hard and enjoyable all round. Players may be surprised to know it's the most played HSC game in world history :D  The only thing that would be great to see added (I'm assuming it's not been) is another skill level combining more of the features or just some other levels :idea:

McKong:

The 3rd time through seems more difficult than the 2nd, but the 4th seems the same as the 3rd

Carlsson:

Minor improvement. I still don't get past the tanks at U, but I learned to drive faster and thus collect more bonus at the end of the previous levels.

Starbug:

I don't know if you've tried this, but I had to slow right own to a crawl initially to get past the tanks, but after a few times I got more comfortable and just fly through them now.

Also, another thing I do, if you want this tip (stop reading if you don't): You don't need to shoot the tanks. I found it easier to shoot their bullets and jump over the tanks, though if you're trying the slow down method, you could just shoot everything, until you get used to it

trbb:

Slow down for the tank, shoot a single shot as you approach, it hit's their bullet, then wait a tad and fire again, if you fire too fast firing again you shoot up, either way if you get near them jump over them speeding up again as you do, then repeat.

TANKS VERY MUCH :D

I was wondering how come my scores were low vs Starbug who got to about the same place, then I remembered it's 100pts for jumping the rocks vs 50pts for shooting them, so that's going to land me in another bunch of craters!

Enjoying playing this great game, it's just got that perfect get the eye to look up no look across arrggh I told you to look up why didn't you listen appeal :)

RedThunder:

1330788093_IMG_20191214_2239041192-1024x

Round ends Weds 15th March 8pm UK time

All welcome to play - Have Fun!

Bonus Games

conscious that Moon Patrol may be a bit easy and you'll not want a zillion goes on it here is a bonus game we played it once before:

Tyrants of Torment

was an Atari User Mag type in, think fandal's made it into an XEX, not sure if it plays the same speed etc.

Tyrants of Torment

https://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=3183

Full Moon Fever

For an additional bonus play any games with moon in the title - not the original Moon Patrol for a bonus point each say 3 max per person.

Moon Patrol (Avalon Hill)Moon Shuttle (Gary Ryan)

https://a8.fandal.cz/search.php?search=moon&butt_details_x=

Moon Quest is a nice graphic adventure from last year's abbuc game :)

8 minutes ago, MichaG said:

We could have "Time to reach Point E" as bonus ;-)

image.thumb.jpeg.9b638f3ea0423a93effe5d01000deaec.jpeg

Think after a while lots of people would have 57, as I'm not sure 56 is possible (I might be wrong)

Maybe score after Point E, including bonus, assuming no lives lost. I'll start it off 5650!

• Like 1

Oh yes, here at home we love this game. Dinky2008 already started right away and went lightning fast to point E, 58 secs although she even had 57 a few days ago. This game is amazing and we are really happy with this round: it is a good game for every skill!

Alright, someone might have to walk me through how to download a game to my XEGS...

I have one of these things

https://thebrewingacademy.com/products/atari-800-xl-xe-ultimate-sd-cart?variant=15970882814052

I'm guessing I'll probably need access to a computer/etc.. I bought my 8 bit set up with a pre-loaded ready to go cartridge but this Moon Patrol Redux game is not on it (although about 10,000 others are haha) I have computers here at work though I should be able to download stuff to SD cards with (I hope!)

3 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

Alright, someone might have to walk me through how to download a game to my XEGS...

I have one of these things

https://thebrewingacademy.com/products/atari-800-xl-xe-ultimate-sd-cart?variant=15970882814052

I'm guessing I'll probably need access to a computer/etc.. I bought my 8 bit set up with a pre-loaded ready to go cartridge but this Moon Patrol Redux game is not on it (although about 10,000 others are haha) I have computers here at work though I should be able to download stuff to SD cards with (I hope!)

Hope one of you can advise C C :cool:

Made it to Y on the 2nd level 75,150 good score for me and I'll not get in more play time until the end of the round.

Moon Patrol will be a bit on the easy side for the top players but still fun. Probably a good round for a bonus game - I'll add something to the first post :idea:

Photo4119.jpg.68739b058f5e2ef5f0425a794c5d53f7.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

Basically, insert your SD card into the computer, and ideally it will be recognized and open automatically, or through a dialog asking what you want to do. Choose to open the folder. Now you will see the contents of the card, probably arranged into folders for easier navigation. On my SIO2SD card, I have a special folder #HSC (hash to get it to the top instead of mixed between folders H-games and I-games). I put all the downloads into this folder to keep them collected. You might want to do the same, or if you want to sort this game under M-games.

Now follow the link to Fandal and download the game. It will arrive in a compressed folder that you open. Then you can drag the file from inside the compressed folder, to the selected folder on your SD card. It should transfer in a second or less. Once you're done, there might be an icon at the bottom status bar to disconnect the SD card, or otherwise if you navigate back to the computer root where you see all devices, right click and disconnect the card. Don't make the mistake to accidentally format it, as those options are quite close to each other!

Besides, I don't understand how anyone can't live without a proper computer at home. I would develop a stress disease in a matter of a few days if I tried to get things done from home only using a mobile device of some kind. Sometimes I need to get something more advanced done at work where I have no other option, and it frustrates me to the extreme. Simple operations of copy and pasting text that would take 1 minute on a computer, takes me 5-10 minutes on the phone, and I have close to zero overview what I'm doing at the same time.

On 3/2/2023 at 4:47 PM, carlsson said:

Basically, insert your SD card into the computer, and ideally it will be recognized and open automatically, or through a dialog asking what you want to do. Choose to open the folder. Now you will see the contents of the card, probably arranged into folders for easier navigation. On my SIO2SD card, I have a special folder #HSC (hash to get it to the top instead of mixed between folders H-games and I-games). I put all the downloads into this folder to keep them collected. You might want to do the same, or if you want to sort this game under M-games.

Now follow the link to Fandal and download the game. It will arrive in a compressed folder that you open. Then you can drag the file from inside the compressed folder, to the selected folder on your SD card. It should transfer in a second or less. Once you're done, there might be an icon at the bottom status bar to disconnect the SD card, or otherwise if you navigate back to the computer root where you see all devices, right click and disconnect the card. Don't make the mistake to accidentally format it, as those options are quite close to each other!

Besides, I don't understand how anyone can't live without a proper computer at home. I would develop a stress disease in a matter of a few days if I tried to get things done from home only using a mobile device of some kind. Sometimes I need to get something more advanced done at work where I have no other option, and it frustrates me to the extreme. Simple operations of copy and pasting text that would take 1 minute on a computer, takes me 5-10 minutes on the phone, and I have close to zero overview what I'm doing at the same time.

Ah okay, this seems pretty easy. I'll be back at the shop Monday so I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Yeah, Im pretty old school. If not for Atariage, ebay I probably wouldn't use or need the internet/computer for anything.

I spend most of my free time playing old video games in the winter and fishing in the summer😄 

• Like 2

first tables for this round below, don't think it's worth a bonus challenge on MPR so we have a bonus game and some bonus bonus games for anyone looking for more HSC action and an extra point or two. See first post for details ;)

first tables

HSC
  Player   Score   Points
1st McKong                 119,550   12
2nd therealbountybob   75,150   11
3rd graywest   64,750   10
4th Marius   48,450   9
5th Caco                      48,250   8
6th Dinky2008   46,950   7
7th Cafeman   25,100   6
8th MagicMarc-er   10,550   5
9th MichaG   8,650   4