IGNORED

Midwest Gaming Classic 2023 - March 29th - April 2nd

thanatos

47 minutes ago, Albert said:

it's been a long time since I've been to the Midwest Gaming Classic.  Definitely need to get back out there someday.

..Al

I discovered and joined AA because of your booth way back in 2007, and I've been going ever since.  I'm pretty sure it's comparable or possibly even bigger than PGRE after looking at the event spaces sizes.

• Like 2

My time there last year spawned my instant obsession over Vectrex. Who knows what I'll find this year.

It also marked the first time I truly experienced some arcade classics that I've only ever played through emulation. Playing Asteroids and Asteroids Deluxe was phenomenal. That CRT intensity and crisp vectors makes any emulated version I've ever tried look so poorly now. Even the small details added to cabinets that you just don't get to experience on emulation, like the mechanical "clunk" at the base of the cabinet when Q-Bert falls off the platform, things I just didn't really know were so distinct until MGC 2022.

• Like 2

I've been to MGC every year since about 2004...it's the fastest 48 hours of the year.  Last year the MGCs were spaced six months apart due to COVID ruining 2020.  The two MGCs were quite different from each other - expect something different this year as well but you'll be spending more time in the vendor hall due to it being expanded more than last year.

On 3/2/2023 at 12:11 AM, thanatos said:

I discovered and joined AA because of your booth way back in 2007, and I've been going ever since.  I'm pretty sure it's comparable or possibly even bigger than PGRE after looking at the event spaces sizes.

Wow, very cool that's how you discovered AtariAge!  I can't believe that was...sixteen years ago!  It would be interesting to see a comparison of the Midwest Gaming Classic against the Portland Retro Gaming Expo in terms of size, attendees, vendors, and other metrics.  Maybe I can get out there next year, even if it's just as an attendee.

..Al

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Albert said:

Wow, very cool that's how you discovered AtariAge!  I can't believe that was...sixteen years ago!  It would be interesting to see a comparison of the Midwest Gaming Classic against the Portland Retro Gaming Expo in terms of size, attendees, vendors, and other metrics.  Maybe I can get out there next year, even if it's just as an attendee.

..Al

I bet @Metal Jesus would have some good input, he went last year.  As well as @swlovinist.

13 hours ago, Albert said:

..Al

MGC is huge now, almost too huge lol. I still like it but man, it's just so big now...borderline overwhelming lol

I've been every year since 2006 until covid hit. Haven't been since but trying to round up my crew for this year (it kinda crept up I forgot all about it!)

And tickets purchased!  Got my daughter and son (for his first time at the event) for Saturday and then on Sunday my daughter and three of my step kids are coming.

Yeah there's a lot of stuff this year.  I guess The New 8-Bit Heroes/NESMAKER folks are going to be holding their "Byte Off III" competition results at the show.  They had a big presence last year (where I picked up "Mystic Origins" and a NESMAKER cartridge burner...that I REALLY have to get the gumption to try and use the software.  I pack too much stuff on myself with my limited free time) with their own stuff along with a few up and coming NES developers (folks behind "Doodle World", "Dungeons and Doomknights" and more).  I'm really excited for this!

• Like 1

Milwaukee is about 70 miles from me and my car ios acting up a little bit.  So I will probably skip this year.  Might get a new set of wheels when the prices come down not sure.  But in Chicago its too cold and my mon says electric does not work good in cold weather.  Maybe hybrid but not sure if that is any better.

On 3/8/2023 at 12:48 PM, mickster said:

I love this show and have been to it many times.  I am still sitting it out due to high volume of people and covid still. I hope to return in a few years.

14 years to flatten the curve?  I couldn't wait to go and never let fear of getting sick control me.  And dodged everything.  Best take a good vitamin cocktail with D3 & Zinc.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 6:08 PM, 0078265317 said:

Milwaukee is about 70 miles from me and my car ios acting up a little bit.  So I will probably skip this year.  Might get a new set of wheels when the prices come down not sure.  But in Chicago its too cold and my mon says electric does not work good in cold weather.  Maybe hybrid but not sure if that is any better.

I have a hybrid.  Performance hasn't been much different depending on outdoor temps.

13 hours ago, Crimefighter said:

14 years to flatten the curve?  I couldn't wait to go and never let fear of getting sick control me.  And dodged everything.  Best take a good vitamin cocktail with D3 & Zinc.

If I would have never been to the show, I would go.  The truth is I have been to the show quite a few times and so for me personally its not worth taking the chance of getting sick.  I actually preferred the show about 10 years ago  when it was a bit smaller.  There is just too many people for it to be as fun as it used to be for me.  Also I have so many other things to do that don't expose myself to such a high bacteria load as that show.  Don't get me wrong, its a great show and I recommend everyone should go to at least once.