IGNORED

How do I hardwire an rf cable to the Intellivision

My Intellivision recently no longer gets any signal and nothing seems wrong with it, and the rf port isn't loose but doesn't get any signal when a cable is plugged in and I've checked both channels, I cant find any other problems other than 2 bulging capacitors, could those be the main problem or should I hardwire an rf cable, if so how do I do it (Model 2609)? Also if it helps, when I got this used it had a loose rf port that I had to fix and there was a resistor attached and I couldn't figure where to reattach it so I removed it and the console still worked, is that part necessary? Thanks

20230301_232451.jpg

20230301_232625.jpg

20230301_234438.jpg

20230301_234523.jpg

5 hours ago, Total_Tyranny said:

when I got this used it had a loose rf port that I had to fix and there was a resistor attached and I couldn't figure where to reattach it so I removed it and the console still worked, is that part necessary? Thanks

Looks like that corner of the RF Mod got cooked. Was that a result of your fix? The resistor soldered to the center pin goes straight down right next to the other resistor. However, this requires complete removal of RF Mod from the Logic Board to fix from the bottom. And from all that heat, I would check the Caps right by the pin as well.

So many things can cause a black screen. Most likely one of the IC Chips. Also check the 2 transistors in the one picture. It doesn't look overheated there, but they are a common part to replace while apart as they often go bad. All I can suggest is to start by measuring the voltages where the ribbon wire is soldered at the Logic Board. Another common problem, but start with the basics.

Good Luck! FYI: quite a few folks on this forum throw away those RF Mods when they add a Mod RGB Kit. If you pay for shipping, they will give them to you for free.

3 hours ago, walldog1 said:

Looks like that corner of the RF Mod got cooked. Was that a result of your fix? The resistor soldered to the center pin goes straight down right next to the other resistor. However, this requires complete removal of RF Mod from the Logic Board to fix from the bottom. And from all that heat, I would check the Caps right by the pin as well.

So many things can cause a black screen. Most likely one of the IC Chips. Also check the 2 transistors in the one picture. It doesn't look overheated there, but they are a common part to replace while apart as they often go bad. All I can suggest is to start by measuring the voltages where the ribbon wire is soldered at the Logic Board. Another common problem, but start with the basics.

Good Luck! FYI: quite a few folks on this forum throw away those RF Mods when they add a Mod RGB Kit. If you pay for shipping, they will give them to you for free.

Yes I got this used from flea market not working and it was already detached and I didn't really know where it should've been attached so I just removed it until just recently when the console stopped working again, I thought that might've been an issue but I had no idea where to reattach the resistor, so I thought it could've been attached to the rf modulator and it was really hard to do so and when I did get it attached it didn't make a difference so I removed it again, so i'll try removing all of the shielding and attaching a resistor where it originally was, now that I know, thanks.

Edited by Total_Tyranny

1 hour ago, kevin6569 said:

You could always A/V mod it since your ordering components.  Fairly easy to do.

A lot of A/V Mod kits require a working RF Mod. I do know that the Crayon King's Orange Peel board is an RGB Mod kit but will also output Composite with a decent looking game without a working RF Mod.

So if you go this route, make sure the Mod kit you choose for Composite output does NOT rely on a good RF Mod.

12 hours ago, Total_Tyranny said:

Sorry I should've been more clear but i'm getting static, not a black screen.

That sounds more like a power supply issue or an open circuit somewhere. Sometime it is as simple as taking apart the AC power switch, cleaning all brass contacts up, and adding a little extra bend to the three contacts. Get out your meter and start measuring!

18 minutes ago, walldog1 said:

A lot of A/V Mod kits require a working RF Mod.

That sounds more like a power supply issue or an open circuit somewhere. Sometime it is as simple as taking apart the AC power switch, cleaning all brass contacts up, and adding a little extra bend to the three contacts. Get out your meter and start measuring!

Last night I opened up the power switch and cleaned it then added some dielectric grease and it does turn on every time now but still getting no signal, I tried to attach a composite cable to video and ground on the rf modulator and now i'm getting this instead of static using this hardwired cable. What type of issue does this indicate? Thanks. I'll also be getting some new caps for those bulging ones today so i'll update later today.

20230302_003338.jpg

20230302_003102.jpg

On 3/2/2023 at 3:40 PM, MGG said:

Even if the capacitors aren't the problem, you should replace them.  If they're bulging they don't have much time left if they're still working at all.

Hello, I've recapped the Intellivision and i'm now getting this colored static, both channels show the same thing except channel 4 sometimes shows these curvy black lines. First photo is channel 3 and the second is channel 4.

20230303_181701.jpg

20230303_181734.jpg