IGNORED

Request for Ideas on 2.5-D Game Mechanic

Hey all. I am thinking about how to implement this using IntyBASIC.

• Viewing the right side of a helicopter, a shadow underneath it barely visible. 
  •  
  • Moving the helicopter vertically with the side buttons for up and down to control altitude (distance from the shadow to the helicopter).
  •  
  • Moving helicopter with disc up and down to fly on the Z-axis.
  •  
  • Moving helicopter with disc left and right on X-axis. 

Ami thinking of this correctly? Is there a smoother way to do this kind of control?

thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on the application of the movement.

Is up and down more important than forward velocity?

For me, I would think the DISC would be the "Stick"  Bottom of the disc pulls back and increases altitude.  Push the disc "forward/top" to descend. I would use the disc/stick for left and right also.

Then I would do top side button for forward velocity increase and bottom buttons to decrease velocity.

However, if increasing / decreasing speed is more important then changing altitude, I might use the disc for speed and left/right and the side buttons for altitude control.

Either way, I am interested in what you are working on!

On 3/4/2023 at 2:29 PM, First Spear said:

Hey all. I am thinking about how to implement this using IntyBASIC.

• Viewing the right side of a helicopter, a shadow underneath it barely visible. 
  •  
  • Moving the helicopter vertically with the side buttons for up and down to control altitude (distance from the shadow to the helicopter).
  •  
  • Moving helicopter with disc up and down to fly on the Z-axis.
  •  
  • Moving helicopter with disc left and right on X-axis. 

Ami thinking of this correctly? Is there a smoother way to do this kind of control?

thanks. 

Are you talking about an oblique, isometric view, like Zaxxon; or a frontal perspective view?  2.5D to me suggests the former.

If so …

Are the axes to which you refer, from the perspective of the aircraft (x=banking, y=elevation, z=thrust); or the player (x=screen width, y=screen height, z=depth from player through screen)?

If of the player, I think that scheme would be weird and clumsy.

If of the aircraft, then I would imagine that the z-axis (thrust) should be done with the action buttons, and the disc reserved for the banking and elevation controls.  (Similar to Zaxxon.)

My preference would be to use the perspective of the aircraft, which seems a lot more intuitive.

dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

38 minutes ago, First Spear said:

I am thinking of Chopper Command or Rescue Raiders or Choplifter, except with depth of field into the "z axis". However now thinking about it more, Space Raid shows how it could work on the Inty. 

That’s what I was thinking: more Zaxxon/Space Raid, rather than z-depth towards the front of the craft.

However, a forward view would also be very cool.  Something like that Penguin game recently released, but with the aircraft moving in 3 dimensions rather than just sideways with the occasional jump.

(I’m sure I’ve seen some space or aerial combat game like this in the arcade, but for the life of me I can’t recall which one.)

• Like 1