IGNORED

Retro Gaming Supremacy (RGS and how to explain it)

Hello fellow retro gaming enthusiasts,

while RGS has become more dominant in our culture, it is still not universally understood. The time, money and space that goes into serious retro gaming can lead to tensions between enjoyers of supreme taste and RGS deniers that put the need of retro gaming in question.

'You don't understand, I need this. It is the joy in my life and there is nothing like it.'

Retro games are not simply toys. They are historic and cultural artefacts. It could be argued that some of them are even art.

Not everyone has the intellectual capacity to grasp the elegance and beauty that quality gameplay holds. Not everyone is able to appreachiate the harmony of sound, picture and interaction that a classic game brings. Alot of people are simply ignorant of perhaps the most complex form of media yet.

How to deal with RGS deniers, that want to destroy this beauty and joy? That don't have no love for retro gamers and their hobby, or even their passion, their love, their life.

It can be crushing and demoralising, to hear others talk down on something that has not only subjective value, but is infact one of the most beautiful things known in this universe.

I personally believe it is always best to remain calm and kind. Be patient and try to understand the perspective of those who are clueless about RGS. But what should one do if tensions between aesthetics and ignorance rise?

Please share your thoughts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

I don´t have any problems with people who don´t like old games, and I have never met someone who has a problem with me liking them. I understand why people like newer games, and if others don´t understand why I prefer old games, I don´t care.

There are, however, many people who see video games in general as childish. Something you should have grown out of. But then I tell them video games are like playing cards or board games, if you liked playing them when you were a kid, you will probably like it for the rest of your life.

I pity people who don´t like video games. They are missing out.

• Like 2

On 3/8/2023 at 12:37 PM, Lord Mushroom said:

I don´t have any problems with people who don´t like old games, and I have never met someone who has a problem with me liking them. I understand why people like newer games, and if others don´t understand why I prefer old games, I don´t care.

There are, however, many people who see video games in general as childish. Something you should have grown out of. But then I tell them video games are like playing cards or board games, if you liked playing them when you were a kid, you will probably like it for the rest of your life.

I pity people who don´t like video games. They are missing out.

Yes, people who are against classic gaming are against gaming in general in most cases. The idea spending time and mony for old 'toys' and treating them as they are valuable cutural artefacts to them is pathetic. They have no compassion and trample down on you. They are cruel and are motivated by hate.

On 3/10/2023 at 11:44 PM, Creamhoven said:

Yes, people who are against classic gaming are against gaming in general in most cases. The idea spending time and mony for old 'toys' and treating them as they are valuable cutural artefacts to them is pathetic. They have no compassion and trample down on you. They are cruel and are motivated by hate.

I've never run into anyone like that.

On 3/10/2023 at 11:44 PM, Creamhoven said:

'toys'

why the quotes? they are toys, they were marketed and sold as so. A toy can be representative of a time and culture, but that doesn't make them no longer toys.

On 3/13/2023 at 6:33 AM, randomcat2000 said:

I've never run into anyone like that.

I envy you.

On 3/13/2023 at 6:33 AM, randomcat2000 said:

why the quotes? they are toys, they were marketed and sold as so. A toy can be representative of a time and culture, but that doesn't make them no longer toys.

What about the NeoGeo?

On 3/13/2023 at 2:51 PM, Tanooki said:

Uhh...what?  Try and make sense, beyond what at a quick glance appears to be.  The more you think about it, the more that entire line of thought is utter nonsense.

Can you elaborate?

On 3/13/2023 at 9:29 PM, MrMaddog said:

It's a hobby, either you enjoy it or you have a different hobby.  And yes it's ok for adults to have hobbies in their leisure time after dealing with work & family...

I completely agree. There are people that just cant stand others having joy in theit lifes.

Your post is nonsense.  I don't think I need to deconstruct the entire post now do I?

The very premise (ie: title of the topic ... RGS) is something I'm betting you made up as I've never or heard of that before.  You're acting like it's a race and/or class war like some sick modern political/social justice experiment idea battle that intentionally baits fights.

8 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Your post is nonsense.  I don't think I need to deconstruct the entire post now do I?

Pointing out the aspects you don't understand would be sufficent

8 hours ago, Tanooki said:

You're acting like it's a race and/or class war like some sick modern political/social justice experiment idea battle that intentionally baits fights.

Not at all. Maybe you are confusing this with my essay on gaming racisim. Here I am discussing the status of retro gaming in contemporary society and the rift between the idea of them being toys or an artform. I hope this clears things up for you.

No I'm not confusing it.  There is no such thing as RGS, you made it up.  The entire post seems more like click bait than a rational argument.  Seriously, if you type RGS written out in google, do you know what pops up as the only valid hit?  Your topic due to the title on it, google scooped it up.

I know what you're trying to get at, but it's not some big mystery and it's nothing new either.  Replace video games with comics, trading cards, board games, pogs, and any other form of fun some jerks decided to use as a reason to take shots at someone else.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

No I'm not confusing it.  There is no such thing as RGS, you made it up.  The entire post seems more like click bait than a rational argument.  Seriously, if you type RGS written out in google, do you know what pops up as the only valid hit?  Your topic due to the title on it, google scooped it up.

Interesting, maybe this will help to grow awareness of this phenomenon.

28 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I know what you're trying to get at, but it's not some big mystery and it's nothing new either.  Replace video games with comics, trading cards, board games, pogs, and any other form of fun some jerks decided to use as a reason to take shots at someone else.

Yes, this is unfortunately true. The persecussion of people because of their passions can also be observed in other domains. I would however argue that those you have listed do not qualify as art like some video games do.

These are my thoughts on the subject:

On some level, I kinda like this Creamhoven fella. There's a weird sort of sophistication to his trolling. The like where you squint a little and it almost makes sense. Or if you're not quite paying attention to see the clues, you might think he is being serious. 

I picture him in a book filled dusty study room, sitting in a mahogany rocking chair with a cognac on hand and coming up with these weird concoctions for topics to amuse himself while Chopin is playing on the gramophone. 

It's still only nonsense but I appreciate the effort. 

Edited by Wayler
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Tanooki said:

There is no such thing as RGS

Don't you agree that retro gaming is the supreme form of entertainment?

so you can't be made aware of something you unique fabricated on the site here to create a clickbait argument.

If it were a clickbait argument doesnt that imply, that my cultural analysis resonates on some level and therefore alone describes something that gets at something real?

As I said, no hits on google except you, you own that term.

This is true, I've coined the term 'retro gaming supremecy'. When you observe a phenomenon and want to communicate it to others, coming up with an adequate term is needed.

3 hours ago, Wayler said:

These are my thoughts on the subject:

On some level, I kinda like this Creamhoven fella.

I like to think that I like you on some level as well, but I dont know you well enough yet.

There's a weird sort of sophistication to his trolling. The like where you squint a little and it almost makes sense. Or if you're not quite paying attention to see the clues, you might think he is being serious. 

In my view my position isnt that interesting at all, it is more about the ideas I try to communicate. When you are enjoying a nice summer day, do you care about the fire of the sun or the sunshine?

I picture him in a book filled dusty study room, sitting in a mahogany rocking chair with a cognac on hand

You forgot the pipe.

and coming up with these weird concoctions for topics to amuse himself while Chopin is playing on the gramophone. 

Okay, I understand that there is interest in understanding my position or illustrating my assumed position. I personally am more of a ideas kind of person. Communicating and discussing various concepts is interesting to me, for my reflective capabilties are limited, unfortunatly

It's still only nonsense but I appreciate the effort. 

What would it take to convince you of the soundness of my argumentation?

Edited by Creamhoven

3 hours ago, Creamhoven said:
11 hours ago, Tanooki said:

As I said, no hits on google except you, you own that term.

This is true, I've coined the term 'retro gaming supremecy'. When you observe a phenomenon and want to communicate it to others, coming up with an adequate term is needed.

It’s all a bunch of floorbo to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Creamhoven said:

What would it take to convince you of the soundness of my argumentation?

Nothing really. It is a perception that has formed through multiple topics, not just this one. And obviously you can't break out of character, that would destroy the magic. 

I just also realised that Creamhoven is a word play on Beethoven because of that composer cat in your avatar, not an amalgam of the words cream and hoven. But I still maintain that bloat from the excessive consumption of cream is a funnier concept. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Creamhoven said:

Don't you agree that retro gaming is the supreme form of entertainment?

Not everyone enjoys video games to begin with, so no.

And you know, real movie enthusiasts do not only watch old movies. They enjoy movies from all eras, and it's not driven by nostalgia since they were not born during the silent film era for instance. So imho a real video game enthusiast should enjoy video games from all periods, systems, or countries. Focusing on old systems only is just a sign of being reactionary imho.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Wayler said:

Nothing really. It is a perception that has formed through multiple topics, not just this one. And obviously you can't break out of character, that would destroy the magic. 

Okay, let me know if there is anything I can do to convince you otherwise. I understand your position, but don't you agree with adressing points regardless of positions? Like an errupting vulcano would you care more about the lava than the color of the vulcano? Is it important to know the center of the sun to enjoy its sunshine?

I just also realised that Creamhoven is a word play on Beethoven because of that composer cat in your avatar, not an amalgam of the words cream and hoven. But I still maintain that bloat from the excessive consumption of cream is a funnier concept. 

Okay, I was not aware of this interpretation neither.

11 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Not everyone enjoys video games to begin with, so no.

Okay, I would argue that even if not everyone enjoys retro videogaming it still is the superior choice entertainment.

And you know, real movie enthusiasts do not only watch old movies. They enjoy movies from all eras, and it's not driven by nostalgia since they were not born during the silent film era for instance.

Yes, but in the thread Nostalgia Fatique, many seem to agree that films and contemporary media in general is inferior (even if you still can find small niche projects)

So imho a real video game enthusiast should enjoy video games from all periods, systems, or countries.

Even russia?

Focusing on old systems only is just a sign of being reactionary imho.

I do believe that there is something to this. I am fed up with alot of nastyness I have encountered in contemporary works, and have lost alot of good will towards new media. We can agree on this. However, why is there this reactionary dynamic towards contemporary popular culture, and does this dynamic indicate that the well of new releases has in a way been poisened?

31 minutes ago, Creamhoven said:

I understand your position, but don't you agree with adressing points regardless of positions? Like an errupting vulcano would you care more about the lava than the color of the vulcano?

We first have to establish the concept of a vulcano. Is it a volcano on planet Vulcan? If so, does it work like a regular earth volcano? Being of extraterrestrial origin, I probably would be interested in all aspects of the phenomenon, including the lava and the color of the vulcano. 

If there was some other point in this, I'm not interested. When I go to the circus to see the clown, I expect to be entertained, not to have a conversation about the psychological effects of the squirty flower. 

Edited by Wayler
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Creamhoven said:

Yes, but in the thread Nostalgia Fatique, many seem to agree that films and contemporary media in general is inferior (even if you still can find small niche projects)

I read that thread, and I doubt the "many" you're referring to were real movie enthusiasts anyway, just "old farts yelling at clouds".

As I also explained in the same thread (iirc), it's wrong to think there were a lot more good movies before. The reason why you may think that way is that we mostly remember good movies from the past. But there were tons of shitty movies that are completely forgotten, for good reasons.

53 minutes ago, Creamhoven said:

Even russia?

Why not? Russians can make very good games, especially on the ZX Spectrum. The fact they're Russians doesn't mean they support war, you know?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

As I also explained in the same thread (iirc), it's wrong to think there were a lot more good movies before. The reason why you may think that way is that we mostly remember good movies from the past. But there were tons of shitty movies that are completely forgotten, for good reasons.

There were of course a ton of bad movies in the past, but I don´t think I am imagining that there were many times more good movies being made in the 90s than now. I think the movie industry got better and better until the mid 90s or so, and then got worse and worse.

If selective memory is the cause of people complaining about movies nowadays, then people would have complained about it in the 90s too. And I can´t remember that people did that in the 90s. The closest I can come to remembering people complaining was that at the end of the 90s there was an increasing amount of movies with good effects, but bad scrips. Like Deep Impact and The Mummy.

But those kind of movies just kept on being made in the 00s and 10s. Except the novelty of good effects was gone, and the scripts became even worse.

The industry is complaining that people don´t go to the movies anymore, and blame streaming services. But I think the quality of movies plays a part too.