IGNORED

Retro Gaming Supremacy (RGS and how to explain it)

1 hour ago, Lord Mushroom said:

If selective memory is the cause of people complaining about movies nowadays, then people would have complained about it in the 90s too. And I can´t remember that people did that in the 90s. The closest I can come to remembering people complaining was that at the end of the 90s there was an increasing amount of movies with good effects, but bad scrips. Like Deep Impact and The Mummy.

Maybe because you were too young in the 90s, and not surrounded enough by old farts complaining about movies. 😉 Typically our generation loves movies from the 80s while old timers often think they became too "commercial" compared to the indy films of the 60s and the 70s. I personally think some movies of that era are totally overrated.

I'm not doubting the mainstream audience thinks the way you do, though. I'm just saying "real" movie enthusiasts don't agree with that statement. I don't know how many movies you watch but I tend to watch around one every day and I try to avoid watching movies I've already seen. I go to the movie theater once a week to watch one or two films, and I actually counted that I saw more than a hundred "new" films (as in released for the first time) last year, both in theaters or streaming platforms. Fight me. 🙂

17 hours ago, Wayler said:

We first have to establish the concept of a vulcano. Is it a volcano on planet Vulcan? If so, does it work like a regular earth volcano? Being of extraterrestrial origin, I probably would be interested in all aspects of the phenomenon, including the lava and the color of the vulcano. 

The Vulcans (or architects) are masters of fire, so I would imagine their Vulcanos will work under their whim. That being said I think they are begining to loose their grib on things and the Volcanos will turn against them like some chaos earth demon. This is actually happening right now and soon the Vulcans will be no more. Sad.

17 hours ago, Wayler said:

If there was some other point in this, I'm not interested. When I go to the circus to see the clown, I expect to be entertained, not to have a conversation about the psychological effects of the squirty flower. 

Don't underestimate the clowns of this world or they will run circles around you.

17 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I read that thread, and I doubt the "many" you're referring to were real movie enthusiasts anyway, just "old farts yelling at clouds".

As I also explained in the same thread (iirc), it's wrong to think there were a lot more good movies before. The reason why you may think that way is that we mostly remember good movies from the past. But there were tons of shitty movies that are completely forgotten, for good reasons.

What are contemporary movies you think have the qualities to become classics?

17 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Why not? Russians can make very good games, especially on the ZX Spectrum. The fact they're Russians doesn't mean they support war, you know?

Okay, I understand.

16 hours ago, Hakogame 箱亀 said:

Don't forget Tetris.

They have made the greatesr game of all.

11 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Maybe because you were too young in the 90s, and not surrounded enough by old farts complaining about movies. 😉 Typically our generation loves movies from the 80s while old timers often think they became too "commercial" compared to the indy films of the 60s and the 70s.

I lived with my parents, so I knew only too well what old farts thought. :) And they loved 90s movies. 90s music, on the other hand, they hated, and they were right.

I'm not doubting the mainstream audience thinks the way you do, though. I'm just saying "real" movie enthusiasts don't agree with that statement.

My brother is a movie buff, who still watches a lot of movies, and he agrees with me.

When I talk about movies, I am mostly talking about Hollywood movies since they dominate the market. I am sure the quality of indie- and foreign films has kept up, but that is because they have always sucked. 😉

I don't know how many movies you watch but I tend to watch around one every day and I try to avoid watching movies I've already seen. I go to the movie theater once a week to watch one or two films,

I watch about one movie per month, and that includes movies I have seen before. But the reason why I watch so few movies is that I have seen most of the good old ones, and I am not happy with the new ones. Not that I don´t like movies. In the 90s I watched several movies per week.

I haven´t gone to the movies in about twenty years. I think it is expensive and impractical, and when I come home, the TV looks smaller.

Fight me. 🙂

• Haha 1

On 3/18/2023 at 7:19 AM, Creamhoven said:

Don't you agree that retro gaming is the supreme form of entertainment?

Some people like newer games and some people like older games, and that is fine.

On 3/18/2023 at 7:19 AM, Creamhoven said:

I personally am more of a ideas kind of person.

lmao, beyond parody

• Thanks 1

Retro gaming supremacy is real, working in spirit you can see it and experience it in this world every day. You can see it in the retro game sales that reach very high prices for games and consoles.

You can see it on twitch, classic tetris competition, retro speedruns and playthorughs.

I know that retro gaming supremacy is real for once I had a happy home in contemporary gaming.

I loved and respected new releases. I looked upon them as an important part of popular culture.

And then hollywood style games came into my life. I grew tired and uninspired by them.

My friends couldnt play local multiplayer with me anymore and finally, my gaming home was broken apart for there was no family friendly gaming.

Gaming took a path into a world of mediocraty. Yes, it's sweet to know that there are people that enjoy contemporary gaming still. And we know that indie gaming has great titles where joy shall never end.

But gamer friend, if you're here today retro gaming supemacy is real too and  and for many contemporaty gaming is hell, a place of everlasting punishment.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Creamhoven said:

Retro gaming supremacy is real, working in spirit you can see it and experience it in this world every day. You can see it in the retro game sales that reach very high prices for games and consoles.

Yea, I'm sure those speculators reaaaaaalllly love NES games, just look at how much their paying for them!

On 3/22/2023 at 9:32 AM, Creamhoven said:

I know that retro gaming supremacy is real for once I had a happy home in contemporary gaming.

I loved and respected new releases. I looked upon them as an important part of popular culture.

And then hollywood style games came into my life. I grew tired and uninspired by them.

My friends couldnt play local multiplayer with me anymore and finally, my gaming home was broken apart for there was no family friendly gaming.

Gaming took a path into a world of mediocrity (right click on words with red squiggles under them, and it will give you the correct spelling). Yes, it's sweet to know that there are people that enjoy contemporary gaming still. And we know that indie gaming has great titles where joy shall never end.

Almost as if not everyone has had the same life experiences as you. Have you ever took the time to think that other people may have different and equally valid opinions as you? What if some people *gasp* actually enjoy cinematic games.
Last year I played CoD: Black Ops over a weekend and it was a good time. It works as a fun action movie that doesn't overstay its welcome, ignoring the jingoistic bullshit. You can't dismiss indie games either, they are a large part of the modern gaming environment. Great indies have just as much content and influence as large AAA games.

On 3/22/2023 at 9:32 AM, Creamhoven said:

But gamer friend, if you're here today retro gaming supemacy is real too and  and for many contemporaty gaming is hell, a place of everlasting punishment.

Why do you feel the need to project your own opinions on an entire forum?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, randomcat2000 said:

Yea, I'm sure those speculators reaaaaaalllly love NES games, just look at how much their paying for them!

You can like NES games as well as investments. Why invest in things you dont like?

Almost as if not everyone has had the same life experiences as you. Have you ever took the time to think that other people may have different and equally valid opinions as you?

Yes this is reflected in my post you have quoted.

On 3/21/2023 at 11:32 PM, Creamhoven said:

Yes, it's sweet to know that there are people that enjoy contemporary gaming still. And we know that indie gaming has great titles where joy shall never end.

What if some people *gasp* actually enjoy cinematic games.
Last year I played CoD: Black Ops over a weekend and it was a good time.

That is totally fine, it, however, is not the supreme form of gaming.

It works as a fun action movie that doesn't overstay its welcome, ignoring the jingoistic bullshit. You can't dismiss indie games either, they are a large part of the modern gaming environment.

I dont dismiss them at all:

we know that indie gaming has great titles where joy shall never end.

I love indie gaming, my argument is that indie gaming is great, yes, but it is not the supreme form of gaming.

Great indies have just as much content and influence as large AAA games.

Yes, this shows in what shape the current state of gaming is.

Why do you feel the need to project your own opinions on an entire forum?

I feel the need to make arguments for beauty and truth.

14 hours ago, Keatah said:

No one game genre is superior to the other. It's a personal choice.

Dont you believe in beauty and truth? Is it all a choice or is truth and beauty real. There is personal preferance, there is taste, but is it completely realtive what is beautiful. Is truth relative, just another opinion?

And styles of games will come into favor and fall out of favor as the industry continues to evolve and move along the timeline.

From my observation the industry as a whole is increasingly falling out of favor. This is what I am trying to get at with RGS.

Thank you for sharing your thougts.

Edited by Creamhoven

2 hours ago, Creamhoven said:

That is totally fine, it, however, is not the supreme form of gaming.

I love indie gaming, my argument is that indie gaming is great, yes, but it is not the supreme form of gaming.

There is no supreme form of gaming. It's all a personal choice.

I feel the need to make arguments for beauty and truth.

Dont you believe in beauty and truth? Is it all a choice or is truth and beauty real. There is personal preferance, there is taste, but is it completely realtive what is beautiful. Is truth relative, just another opinion?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Beauty requires a favorable opinion to make it manifest. Otherwise it just is. No better or worse than anything else.

From my observation the industry as a whole is increasingly falling out of favor. This is what I am trying to get at with RGS.

And that is ok. The industry will go through moods and flavors and changes. It will fall in and out of favor as it evolves.

I don't care much for AAA gaming, or most modern games. But retrogaming does not reign supreme. Never has. Never will.

• Like 3

On 3/23/2023 at 7:29 PM, Keatah said:

There is no supreme form of gaming. It's all a personal choice.

If that were true how can the dreamcast be the best consle?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

200717140514-xbox-one-x-file-restricted-

8iNWCKPb7Fqm7CyhDZFY39.jpg

Beauty requires a favorable opinion to make it manifest.

Confused-woman-holding-tablet-1500-x-100

Otherwise it just is. No better or worse than anything else.

shutterstock_662169526_1.jpg?itok=v4m5xD

And that is ok. The industry will go through moods and flavors and changes. It will fall in and out of favor as it evolves.

What is not relative to you?

I don't care much for AAA gaming, or most modern games. But retrogaming does  reign supreme. ever has. ever will.

I fixed it

11 hours ago, Wayler said:

There is only one theme that can reign supreme

'Supreme cuisine' that guy gets it!

On 3/25/2023 at 6:05 AM, Creamhoven said:

8iNWCKPb7Fqm7CyhDZFY39.jpg

Top pic is a sleek, minimalist box that fits perfectly below a thin, large flatscreen. It is elegant and refined. Bottom pic looks like a y2k kids toy, just look at that controller. It's a hunk of plastic with an lcd screen. It fits perfectly in the den of a nostalgia obsessed manchild, where such consoles often reside. :)
In all seriousness, I do like the look of modern consoles. maybe its because i wasn't around when the dreamcast was "the latest and greatest", but I think a lot of newer console look better than consoles of yesteryear. 90's aesthetics just don't appeal to everyone.
also, the best console is of course the original xbox, not the dreamcast. :)

just look at this beauty! :D
dothedew.thumb.jpg.0a69acfdddc1b2ac04f8a21ea513c49b.jpg

18 hours ago, randomcat2000 said:

Top pic is a sleek, minimalist box that fits perfectly below a thin, large flatscreen. It is elegant and refined.

If you think it is refined can you show me one design that is even more lazy?

Bottom pic looks like a y2k kids toy, just look at that controller. It's a hunk of plastic with an lcd screen.

What material would you suggest for controllers?

maybe its because i wasn't around when the dreamcast was "the latest and greatest", but I think a lot of newer console look better than consoles of yesteryear. 90's aesthetics just don't appeal to everyone.

Its a classic design.

also, the best console is of course the original xbox, not the dreamcast. :)

You are wrong but thats okay.

just look at this beauty! :D
dothedew.thumb.jpg.0a69acfdddc1b2ac04f8a21ea513c49b.jpg

woman-crying.jpg

4 hours ago, Rhomaios said:

The PS2 was the actual good looking console of that era. Before that the Saturn reigned as the sleekest and most modern.

If you look closely there truly is a saturnian theme among those consoles. They are modern(/ugly) I agree.

orig_Sega_Saturn_console.jpg

e503e8af.jpg

1.jpg

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Creamhoven said:

If you think it is refined can you show me one design that is even more lazy?

Its a classic design.

My point is that different people have different tastes. What you might think of as boring and lazy, I can find sleek and refined. more does not equal better. The designs we like are determined by past experience, nothing objectively looks good.
I love the design of the master system boxes. The grid paper has a wonderful consistency to it. Even the old box art, with the tiny crayon drawings in the corner are great at distilling a game into one small icon. Later designs fit more art into the template in such a way that the consistency is maintained while allowing the game to present itself well. Truly a classic design, reflecting the overall quality of the master system console and it's games.
But I find that most people online don't share this opinion. A lot of people, particularly in the states, find master system box art boring compared to the more varied designs of NES box art. The earlier designs are not appreciated for the effort in representing a game as a simple drawing, instead they are seen as lazy. While when I look at NES box art, it looks paradoxically cheap. Jumbled mess of overdesigned paintings that often don't represent the game well. often you can barely tell that it's an NES game at all. What is "classic" varies from person to person. You probably don't find the design of the famicom or the epoch cassette vision as "classic", but for people in japan the famicom and its cartridges are iconic in the same way the NES is in the US.

5 hours ago, Creamhoven said:

If you look closely there truly is a saturnian theme among those consoles. They are modern(/ugly) I agree.

I've never had a ps2 but the original design oozes with style. It still looks futuristic, even now. It really marks the progress up until then. By the 21st century, games weren't just kids toys anymore, and this is reflected in the designs of the 6th gen consoles except for the gamecube.

21 minutes ago, Creamhoven said:

I find this to be an extremly bleak and grim outlook on life. Isnt it incredibly demoralising to deny the existence of beauty?

Beauty does exist, it just varies between different people. What I find beautiful, other people might not be so enthusiastic about. This does not take away from my own experience. Everyone has their own opinions, many things just aren't for everyone, and that's great! Variety in opinion is interesting. A world where everyone likes the exact same things and dislikes the exact same things would be incredibly boring.

3 minutes ago, randomcat2000 said:

Beauty does exist, it just varies between different people. What I find beautiful, other people might not be so enthusiastic about. This does not take away from my own experience. Everyone has their own opinions, many things just aren't for everyone, and that's great! Variety in opinion is interesting. A world where everyone likes the exact same things and dislikes the exact same things would be incredibly boring.

You are conflating beauty with perspective. Of course everyone has a different perspective, and of course that is a great thing. Beauty appears in different expressions and appeals to different tastes. Yet beauty is a real thing. It is a solid manifestation in the natural world. I would argue if you view war as a beautiful thing you are wrong, just as if you can't appreachiate the beauty of the dreamcast, even if it is not to your personal liking.

8 minutes ago, Creamhoven said:

You are conflating beauty with perspective. Of course everyone has a different perspective, and of course that is a great thing. Beauty appears in different expressions and appeals to different tastes. Yet beauty is a real thing. It is a solid manifestation in the natural world. I would argue if you view war as a beautiful thing you are wrong, just as if you can't appreachiate the beauty of the dreamcast, even if it is not to your personal liking.

Beauty comes from perspective. Its an emotion more than anything. Our past experiences inform our brain on how to react to stimuli, and this feeling that we get when we react positively to something pleasing is what you describe as "beauty".
I could imagine that someone could see war as beautiful, appreciating not the death and violence, but the logistics and planning that go into even the most basic of maneuvers. Appreciating the endlessly complex systems that lead to one side winning over the other, or even the mechanisms that lead to war in the first place. As disconcerting as it might be to those with a different perspective, this person is not wrong. They are just reacting to stimuli in their own way from their own experiences.

Also i need to stop posting at 11 pm. going to sleep now.

9 hours ago, randomcat2000 said:

Beauty comes from perspective. Its an emotion more than anything. Our past experiences inform our brain on how to react to stimuli, and this feeling that we get when we react positively to something pleasing is what you describe as "beauty".

Beauty comes from form and structure, it is an expression of physical manifestation. Just like your speech is an expression of your mind. Sure, I read your words and from my perspective I reinterpret them in a way that deviates at least a little bit from what your mind is thinking about, I might even have certain emotions being confronted with the expression of your mind. Still this expression of your mind is a natural reality. This is also the case with beauty. Everyones perception and cognition is limited and so the beauty that is expressed by form and structure cannot be appreachiated by everyone in the same way. Beauty is not a matter of taste or learned experience, you can appreachiate the beauty of something even if it is not to your liking or if it is foreign to you, because you can analyse the structure and form on an abstract basis. The feeling/emotion you have when you are confronted with beauty that does resonate with you is not beauty itself, it is your emotional reaction to beauty.

I could imagine that someone could see war as beautiful, appreciating not the death and violence,

I am sure that there are people in this world appreciating death and violence. The problem with your defintion is that we would have to say that there is beauty in death in violence since some people have emotions that they associate with beauty in this context. If beauty is relative to the emotions of individuals there are no boundaries what could be regarded as beautiful. Death and violence are not beautiful and people who are so unfortunate that they see beauty in such things are just plain wrong in a way that is sick, I would argue.

They are just reacting to stimuli in their own way from their own experiences.

Reducing this to stimuli is a rather solipsistic argument.

Also i need to stop posting at 11 pm. going to sleep now.

Sleep well!

Edited by Creamhoven

7 hours ago, Creamhoven said:

Beauty comes from form and structure, it is an expression of physical manifestation. Just like your speech is an expression of your mind. Sure, I read your words and from my perspective I reinterpret them in a way that deviates at least a little bit from what your mind is thinking about, I might even have certain emotions being confronted with the expression of your mind. Still this expression of your mind is a natural reality. This is also the case with beauty. Everyones perception and cognition is limited and so the beauty that is expressed by form and structure cannot be appreciated by everyone in the same way. Beauty is not a matter of taste or learned experience, you can appreciate the beauty of something even if it is not to your liking or if it is foreign to you, because you can analyse the structure and form on an abstract basis. The feeling/emotion you have when you are confronted with beauty that does resonate with you is not beauty itself, it is your emotional reaction to beauty.

Can you quantify it? If its objective, than can your measure objectively how beautiful something is?

7 hours ago, Creamhoven said:

I am sure that there are people in this world appreciating death and violence. The problem with your defintion is that we would have to say that there is beauty in death in violence since some people have emotions that they associate with beauty in this context. If beauty is relative to the emotions of individuals there are no boundaries what could be regarded as beautiful. Death and violence are not beautiful and people who are so unfortunate that they see beauty in such things are just plain wrong in a way that is sick, I would argue.

I would say someone could find beauty in death and violence. Such a person should probably be locked up, but it is possible.
Is something only beautiful if you personally think it is now? You don't find something beautiful so anyone who does is wrong? seems like a pretty self centered (or rather "solipsistic" as you say) argument.

6 hours ago, Creamhoven said:

This might be more convincing to you:

https://vocaroo.com/17HY8BT7JtH5

What does this even mean? they make bad pots so the guy thinks he could easily take them over? The background music and this guy's accent is grating enough that i don't really care.

Also, this is a video game forum and this convo has gone off the rails and into a canyon about semantics. This isn't really the place for this conversation.