IGNORED

Are the 'Road Rage' games made for humans?

Creamhoven

Hello road ragists and road ragicists,

I have had the joy to play road rash on the GBC recently. I also played road rash 2 on the genesis before.

The game starts of quite difficult from the get go. No joke at all! But when you progress it quickly becomes a type of madness that cant be reasoned with.

Driving upwards you cant see whats ahead, and when you reach the decline the bike flies in the air uncontrolably, with random obsticles that let you crash and there may even be a police officer busting you. If you dont get busted, a crash sets you so far behind you might as well restart the race.

You will very soon find yourself restarting races without ever progressing.

So I want to ask you: were these games designed to be played by humans? How can the beast that is road rage be taimed?

Edited by Creamhoven

Let me know when they fix MD/Genesis Road Rash so it runs faster than 12FPS. Then they will be good. Having not-terrible music would also help. The compositions are fine, but they clearly didn't know how to use the system's sound capabilities properly.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I feel like cream here is another member on they site, same err interesting way of making posts and how they’re worded too.  It is becoming to be just a bit too much in a short time once more.

Yeah, he sounds familiar, I agree. But Beethoven's first name was not Johannes, though. 🤔

• Like 1

I haven´t played Road Rash much, so I can´t help you much. But I would say try to stay on the right side of the road as the cars on that side approach you slower. And if you have turbos, use them when you have a low speed (at the start and when you crash) and when you are in danger of being pulled over by a cop.

I am sure there are other and better tips on the internet if you google.

Edited by Lord Mushroom

On 3/7/2023 at 4:01 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

Let me know when they fix MD/Genesis Road Rash so it runs faster than 12FPS.

If the low frame-rate is due to the hardware being too weak, you can play on an emulator and overclock it. The game will probably run much faster, though (bike and cars move faster).

On 3/6/2023 at 10:01 PM, Steven Pendleton said:

Let me know when they fix MD/Genesis Road Rash so it runs faster than 12FPS.

Here you go:
1: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/7229/

2: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/7159/

CD: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/7245/

3: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/7078/

On stock hardware, the cartridge games run about as good as on an overclocked machine...with overclocking enabled, they run much smoother and much more stable than before.
The disc game was obviously using very little of the Sega CD's hardware before, and it runs silky smooth with this patch.

2 hours ago, Lord Mushroom said:

The game will probably run much faster, though (bike and cars move faster).

Not that I've ever noticed. There are only two real issues with overclocking these games:
1. The controls/physics are tied to framerate, so if the framerate is too high, the steering just kind of turns into mush. These patches fix that.
2. On real hardware, if you overclock too high, the sound chip can't keep up, and you start getting really bad audio glitches. I redid my overclock mod with a slower, more stable crystal, and don't get the audio glitches anymore, so I don't know if these patches fixed that or not.

• Like 2

On 3/9/2023 at 9:07 AM, Lord Mushroom said:

emulator

I'd rather not...

On 3/9/2023 at 11:15 AM, Asaki said:

Here you go:
1: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/7229/

2: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/7159/

CD: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/7245/

3: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/7078/

On stock hardware, the cartridge games run about as good as on an overclocked machine...with overclocking enabled, they run much smoother and much more stable than before.
The disc game was obviously using very little of the Sega CD's hardware before, and it runs silky smooth with this patch.

That's more my style! It's very disappointing that they didn't use any of the hardware scaling on the CD version. Soul Star is one of the best-looking games on the system and it heavily uses the hardware scaling abilities, but here they just seemed to recycle the cartridge versions' software scaling. I wonder if they spent all of their money on the licensed music and decided to save what money they could by recycling the cartridge versions' code and calling it good.

Road Rash has the potential to be really good if it wasn't so choppy, but I do give 2 some extra points for having Alaska as a playable area, especially since it's the best one in the game. My beloved home state doesn't really show up in games that often, so I generally enjoy seeing it on the rare occasion that it does.

I also discovered that some of the creators made a new game, Road Redemption, which looks pretty decent.

@Tanooki

No, please... This is conspitorial type of thinking.

@Steven Pendleton

I recommend trying the GBC version. It is based on one of the genesis versions (2?) and is silky smooth. You can turn off the music as well and play your favorite classical pieces instead.

@roots.genoa

No, this comes from conspitorial type of thinking.

@Lord Mushroom

Good advice. In my experience staying just a bit to the right from the middle of the road works best. The problem is the game can suprise you with an object right in the middle, but the chances of that are lower.

4 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I wonder if they spent all of their money on the licensed music and decided to save what money they could by recycling the cartridge versions' code and calling it good.

They probably didn't think too many people would even be interested in a Sega CD port ;)
That game was practically a prototype for Road Rash 3, so maybe they didn't want to stray too far from their established engine, so they could reuse it with the full intent of releasing RR3 on cartridge?
Or they just didn't really care that much and/or didn't want to deep dive into the hardware.

4 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

I also discovered that some of the creators made a new game, Road Redemption, which looks pretty decent.

Oh really?
I didn't know any of the original devs were involved.

9 hours ago, Asaki said:

They probably didn't think too many people would even be interested in a Sega CD port ;)
That game was practically a prototype for Road Rash 3, so maybe they didn't want to stray too far from their established engine, so they could reuse it with the full intent of releasing RR3 on cartridge?
Or they just didn't really care that much and/or didn't want to deep dive into the hardware.

I have a feeling that all of these probably contributed. Typical EA being EA. Still better than Activision, though.

9 hours ago, Asaki said:

Oh really?
I didn't know any of the original devs were involved.

Maybe I'm thinking of something else...

Edited by Steven Pendleton

I find Road Rash 2 tough but fair. If you fall behind, the races are quite long so there is some time to catch up. And you do get some money for placing, not just for winning, so it's not a total waste of time to come in second. But like Mushroom said, stay on the right side of the road unless you're passing or engaged in a battle with someone. If you do venture to the left lane, keep an eye on what's coming up in the distance so you'll have just enough time to move over if you spot an oncoming car.

My friends and I tried Road Redemption but the online multiplayer wasn't good. I think the dev focus was primarily on single player for that one, which is understandable.

1 hour ago, Zoyous said:

I find Road Rash 2 tough but fair. If you fall behind, the races are quite long so there is some time to catch up. And you do get some money for placing, not just for winning, so it's not a total waste of time to come in second. But like Mushroom said, stay on the right side of the road unless you're passing or engaged in a battle with someone. If you do venture to the left lane, keep an eye on what's coming up in the distance so you'll have just enough time to move over if you spot an oncoming car.

My friends and I tried Road Redemption but the online multiplayer wasn't good. I think the dev focus was primarily on single player for that one, which is understandable.

Thanks for your advice. The way you describe it you must be a superior gamer.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are crashing too much, my advice is this: slow down. You do not have to drive at top speed all the time.  Especially around steep curves, or when you can’t see what’s coming due to the hills, slow down a bit.  Especially in the first races, you can still come in first place or second driving at a controllable speed. It’s crashing and getting arrested that will ruin your race. 

• Like 3