IGNORED

Tunnels of doom fangames question

bradhig1

It depends on the adventure. It was possible to make scenarios that were well-balanced and fun, but the format of the data file also let you do some interesting things that seriously tilted the balance. In the case of K-Mart adventure, Gene was doing all of the modifications by hand (she and I had a lot of fun decoding the data files together). The adventure itself was originally made for her daughter, who started playing TOD as a three-year-old.

During our experimentation, I created the Leprechaun from hell that roamed the upper levels of the dungeons (which means it would have provided the same kind of surprise as the Kens did). It had a ranged weapon that did enough damage to wipe out a low-to-medium level character with every attack--but it only had 1-4 hit points, so it was easy to kill if it didn't get the drop on you. That Leprechaun is only in my test files, luckily. . .

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I was playing doctor who and got five pieces of the key of time. problem with fan games is not nothing the player classes.  I like to have two melee characters up front and two with ranged weapons in the back. killed by somemites I think they were called.  Haven't seen all the episodes of classic Doctor Who so I don't know what they are.  Ran into some Daleks as well.

Each of the fan adventures is interesting in its own way. Part of the fun is figuring out exactly what character mix works in that game--and just as importantly, what supplies they need to have on hand. I've enjoyed every single one I've tried, but then again, I've been a dungeon delver at the gaming table or in my computers for about 45 years now. . .

• Like 3

Doctor Who is impossible even on easiest difficulty.   I can usually get two pieces of the key of time before I get killed by liches and I hate sprites because I can't see them .  Easiest difficulty means anyone can beat it yet some game makers don't understand that.

I wouldn't say that easiest difficulty means that anyone can beat the game. I would lean more towards the concept that easiest is much easier to beat than the more difficult options of that specific game. You might want to try some of the games Asgard put out in the Volcano Fortress and the Doom Games I-III compilations. Most of the TOD games were labors of love by individuals for their own enjoyment, and so the difficulty levels of specific games tended to mirror their own expectations and not necessarily the expectations of other users.

In my case, I have never played a TOD game of any flavor with an expectation of being able to win the game. I play them for the sheer fun of dungeon exploring and monster bashing. . .it lets me work out combat strategies for pesky monsters like the sprites in peace too, as I am not beholden to the game clock.

• Like 2

The levels easy, normal, and hard, I know that affects the amount of steps before the objective is destroyed but what else does it effect?

I remember one of the Doom Games had an enemy that had a special ability to actually increase the player's Hit Points! I'd heal up the party and purposely drag on the fight to get extra hit points!  Can't remember the name of that Doom game though.

Edited by Gilbyph
I'm no expert at the difference between affect and effect. I hope I got it right.

The thing that differentiates easy/medium/hard is the number of steps, but also the depth that the items to recover are to be found within the dungeon. The last item will always be on the bottom level, while others will be scattered on the levels along the way.

There is a secondary difficulty sequence that is not so obvious: the monsters. They are divided up by the levels you can find them on. The easiest monsters will be on levels 1-4, the medium ones on 5-8, and the difficult ones on 9-10. You can make the game easier by digging a dungeon with fewer levels, as now the challenge level of the monsters you encounter will be somewhat limited. Added bonus here is that the items you need to gather will also be somewhat closer together, increasing your chances of success.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I played a quake fan game today called Beyond Belief at Normal difficulty and it was too hard. Why do people do that with fangames ,fan addons? I am tried of being lied to about difficulty.  Tunnels of doom games are meant to be winable by finding the quest items and taking them back to the stairs on level one.  I never get what I want out of fangames aka fan addons. Marble Craze way too hard no scaleable difficulty ,adventure 2 on 5200 you can't hit reset and restart after getting eaten, and no use of difficulty switches in lots of homebrew.  Other people are always more important then me and get what they want while I can't get what I want.  I can't about what I want like Star Wars or Voltron.   I can't stand hard or secrecy because it sets off my anixety.  I suffer from aspergers syndrome which makes me do things somethings that bother others and as a result have no friends in the real world. 

On fan-made things, it is not that the persons making the materials lied. They just have a different set of design objectives than you do. Note also that they may have designed their materials with a specific set of player strategies in mind that are very different from your approach. Sometimes, the magic of the frustrating game is the tortuous path you have to follow to get to "their" solution. I have never succumbed to the "beat the game" mode of play. I have too much fun exploring what the designer did with the source materials within the constraints of the game engine. Just remember--those fan addons weren't made to please you or me, they were made to please the person who wrote them.

In the case of Tunnels of Doom, you also have another option: use the TOD Editor and design games that meet your needs--and if they prove popular, you will know that your approach is shared by others. It is a safe way to possibly connect with others and it gives you another positive outlet for your energy. I know this need to find connective outlets personally, as pretty much anyone in my family lives somewhere along the autistic spectrum. My core fun is to play Dungeons and Dragons, as that puts me in an environment where everyone is operating at the edges of their comfort zone due to the hazards of play. We have fun as a team, and that makes it enjoyable. TOD is good for when I don't have a regular group to play with though, so new TOD games are always an option when I find them. :)

• Like 3

Some things just aren't going to be for you, and some things aren't going to be clearly labeled, especially software written as a hobbyist's lark nearly half a century ago.  You don't owe the original authors your time, but it certainly seems like a baffling thing to get this worked up over.

• Like 1