IGNORED

TI Program Recorder Problem

Atari2600PAL

I've picked up a pretty immaculate looking TI Program recorder PHP2700 (Black, US version so running it on batteries) that's mechanically all functional

However, there's no sound and it doesn't record. No obvious visible issues I can see inside.

I was wondering if there was anything specific to look at to try and repair it please?

Or am I better off getting a tatty, but working, one from eBay and transferring it's internals across please?

Many Thanks

• 4 months later...

It seemed a shame to have an immaculate recorder that wasn't working (have retried cleaning the switch multiple times) and the donor device I purchased was too good to break up for parts (so have been using this)

I now have a "tatty" but working recorder coming to be a new donor, hopefully it won't be too much of an issue switching the insides

• Like 1

Started taking the donor apart and decided discretion was the better side of valour as I couldn't work out how to remove the pause button and didn't fancy taking the soldering iron to it

The donor is not as "tatty" as I thought so, after a clean, that's now my main recorder as it's my only UK version

Have 3 now, so I think I'll strip the faulty one down for spare parts box

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

Disassembly/reassembly is probably one of the best ways to gain useful repair skills.:pirate:

True, but it's also a good way for me to break it... But I'll keep the broken one and maybe revisit in the future

I did get it fully apart and back together apart from the pause switch

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Atari2600PAL said:

True, but it's also a good way for me to break it...

Just don't let it get to you... I went through piles of electronics, in earnest attempts at repair, before I turned 17. Many destructive tests, both electrical and mechanical, before becoming acquainted with concepts such as, biasing, modulation, and patience(as a concept).:cool:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

Just don't let it get to you... I went through piles of electronics, in earnest attempts at repair, before I turned 17. Many destructive tests, both electrical and mechanical, before becoming acquainted with concepts such as, biasing, modulation, and patience(as a concept).:cool:

This old dog is too old to learn new tricks 😃

EDIT: To be fair though my soldering has been getting better (recently unsoldered a C64 chip and replaced with a socket which I'd of never of attempted a few months ago) so I may just desolder/re-solder the pause switch rather than risk damaging it trying to get it out

• Like 1