IGNORED

BANNED: Phoboz (Alexander von Knorring)

Albert

Quite sad.  He seemed to have some real talent.  Has anyone notified Carl at Songbird about this?  I don't know that it would affect him, but just a thought I had seeing as Songbird sells his games.

I have a friend...he's not a video game designer but an artist/musician which can be equally "eccentric" as game designers for lack of a better term. One night (while drinking heavily) he confessed/showed me he has several "sock puppet" facebook accounts and he often cross posts on each others walls, likes each others comments, etc..

It was kind of the same scenario as this as far as I can tell. Overall my friend isn't a bad guy by any means, he's just kind of addicted to internet praise I guess. Most of the stuff he cross posts didn't even seem to be very beneficial to him and I didn't really even grasp what he was overall trying to accomplish with it. I think in the end he just wanted more people to be involved and care about the things he cared about. He is a really talented guy but involved in a niche scene that only so many people follow. You can make a masterpiece local "grindcore" album and you will be lucky to get 100 likes and VERY lucky to actually sell 100 copies of it haha

I don't know if thats the case here but they seem kind of similar to me. Mostly harmless but yeah, definitely inappropriate and needs to be addressed.

I personally never went as far as creating multiple accounts or anything but I totally get what it's like to create something you really care about and not get the feedback you were hoping for from the internet. Checking every few hours to see who reacts, bumping the post up in case someone missed it, etc.. I get it... back before the internet I remember telling a good friend about my bands first album and I got a "cool" and then an immediate subject change. It doesn't feel good and the internet can be even worse sometimes haha.

I don't know what deserves a permanent ban and what doesn't. There is a reason Atariage is what it is and has survived and thrived for so many years and it's because Al makes the right decisions for it's future. All I'm saying is if the ban is ultimately lifted, I'm personally not going to give Phoboz a hard time about this. The internet can mess with your head sometimes and I think we've all got a little "out of character" on it before. Some more extreme than others of course but in the end, a lot of us do rely on it a bit now and then to let us know we are doing a "good job" if you know what I mean.

• Like 15

It's not my forum and my opinion doesn't mean much.  But I feel like a permanent ban is pretty severe.  I do think developers should get a little extra leeway, because they're actively giving back to the community.  And seeing as Asteroite and Kings of Edom are some of the more enjoyable Jag homebrews (in my mind, at least), I feel like Phoboz being banned is a loss for our community.  But maybe I'm in the minority there.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, PFG 9000 said:

It's not my forum and my opinion doesn't mean much.  But I feel like a permanent ban is pretty severe.  I do think developers should get a little extra leeway, because they're actively giving back to the community.  And seeing as Asteroite and Kings of Edom are some of the more enjoyable Jag homebrews (in my mind, at least), I feel like Phoboz being banned is a loss for our community.  But maybe I'm in the minority there.

I don't agree at all that developers should get extra leeway.  In my view, developers should be held to a higher standard as far as something like this is concerned.  Using one or more additional forum accounts to pretend to be someone else and posting in threads about your own games is unethical and deceptive.  I don't see how anyone can think this is okay.  You're right, though, it is a loss, and one that could have entirely been avoided.

I'm certainly willing to talk to Phoboz if he approaches me.

..Al

• Like 25

From a very basic perspective you either engage in an honest fashion with the community you claim you respect - or you don't.  Period.

I also don't see how anyone can think that engaging dishonestly at this fundamental of a level is okay in any sense either.

• Like 6

On 3/7/2023 at 7:51 PM, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

Really? Somehow I am to blame? I never left the forums. I emerged to help with a customer service issue for one of my games. I am not affiliated with Phoboz in any way. I think I have spoken to him once and that was to let him know his copy of JagZombies 2 that he bought from me was in the mail and on the way. This is how false information gets spread. Stop it.

When you suddenly got triggered to lash out against the whole forum, Phoboz created his puppet account to promote your games as a fake impartial persona. Just a coincidence maybe. 

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 1

On 3/7/2023 at 11:51 AM, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

Really? Somehow I am to blame? I never left the forums. I emerged to help with a customer service issue for one of my games. I am not affiliated with Phoboz in any way. I think I have spoken to him once and that was to let him know his copy of JagZombies 2 that he bought from me was in the mail and on the way. This is how false information gets spread. Stop it.

And maybe send the people what you promised, what they PAID you for. Ghosting people for months and only answering them when they have no other option but to go public. It is a sad look and a broken record. Saying games have been fixed when they have not. Trying to play the "Poor me, I'm picked on" card is old, stop it please. Just deliver what you promise and stop trying to toss blame on others for your mistakes.

Own your mistakes. Learn from them. Stop making the same mistakes over and over.

Listen to all the other good advice that you take as an attack. It isn't. It is just the truth. Learn from it.

Edited by Machine
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, agradeneu said:

When you suddenly got triggered to lash out against the whole forum, Phoboz created his puppet account to promote your games as a fake impartial persona. Just a coincidence maybe. 

I doubt they're in cahoots. If anything, he was probably just trying to tweak the noses of some of us here by doing that.

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

I doubt they're in cahoots. If anything, he was probably just trying to tweak the noses of some of us here by doing that.

Smart move when trying to fly under the radar - bring up someone who every thread that he's in gets locked.  Definitely nice and subtle.

• Haha 3

If phoboz needed attention he didn't look hard, I mentioned much interest and wanted updates on splatter house or whatever name it was to be game and only left with nothing, didn't need to talk to self with fake accounts, I was real and there talking/asking and ready to buy and support... Fan of the game style but also just delt with Albert on a scammer here, I'm "new" as a member but not to the games or systems. I recently joined AA cause of how positive it looks to other places. I'm still happy to be a member. 

• Like 10