IGNORED

How to load FujiNet on Atari 800 with Basic Cartridge inserted

I just got a FujiNet and have happily been archiving my floppies to atr files with my Atari 800 and Indus GT drive.  Most of these disks are game compilations and have custom autorun menu loaders created nearly 40 years ago by a buddy of mine.  I have one which requires the basic cart to be inserted or it won't boot properly from floppy.  Thought originally that I had a bad copy to the atr file of the disk until I tried to boot it and ran into the same problem with a blank screen. Then I remembered some of these required the basic cart be inserted.  Floppy then boots just fine to the old color menu to select the game.  I can't boot the FujiNet with the basic cart inserted.  Is there a way to boot FujiNet with the basic cartridge inserted to run the atr copy I created?  Any other suggestions appreciated.  All this gear has been in a bin in the closet for most of the last 30 years.  Re-learning what we were doing in junior high. 

26 minutes ago, Coalis said:

I just got a FujiNet and have happily been archiving my floppies to atr files with my Atari 800 and Indus GT drive.  Most of these disks are game compilations and have custom autorun menu loaders created nearly 40 years ago by a buddy of mine.  I have one which requires the basic cart to be inserted or it won't boot properly from floppy.  Thought originally that I had a bad copy to the atr file of the disk until I tried to boot it and ran into the same problem with a blank screen. Then I remembered some of these required the basic cart be inserted.  Floppy then boots just fine to the old color menu to select the game.  I can't boot the FujiNet with the basic cart inserted.  Is there a way to boot FujiNet with the basic cartridge inserted to run the atr copy I created?  Any other suggestions appreciated.  All this gear has been in a bin in the closet for most of the last 30 years.  Re-learning what we were doing in junior high. 

Try holding down OPTION when you turn on the Atari. It should boot from FujiNet instead of the cartridge. Also, the 400 and 800 OS boots faster than FujiNet so you should power the FujiNet from USB so it's on and ready when you turn on the 800. Alternatively, there's some key combo you can do to avoid the need for external power. I think it's maybe hold START and OPTION at power up to kick in cassette load, then hit SYSTEM RESET to boot FujiNet.

• Like 1

Thanks, and apologies, pretty sure I saw that right in your docs somewhere.  I just got this brewing academy 1.5 external fujinet.  It doesn't have a usb connection handy for external power but I see some pins open on the side of the case I suspect for that purpose.  It will boot with the no external power process.  First couple times I did it the fujinet config was reset and I couldn't figure out why.  Found that this would happen on next boot after removing the Basic cart.

• 10 months later...
On 3/7/2023 at 6:22 PM, mozzwald said:

TAlternatively, there's some key combo you can do to avoid the need for external power. I think it's maybe hold START and OPTION at power up to kick in cassette load, then hit SYSTEM RESET to boot FujiNet.

Thanx!  I didn't know that and have just had my Fujinet plugged into my 400 and powered separately.  Which is generally fine, but I think a bit nicer knowing I don't need to do that!  (I remember trying in vain to hold down some of those buttons to see if it would work when I got my Fujinet, but didn't try the combination!)

And yep, it was Start and Option...

Then I waited a little bit (not sure I needed to, but figured a bit couldn't hurt) and hit System Reset and up came Fujinet!

Note:  I had to double check, because I was pretty sure I checked the Fujinet online FAQ and didn't see that, and yep.

In the User FAQ, it just says "Why does the Fujinet on the 400/800 need power" and describes that it does because it boots too fast.
Might be nice to update that FAQ to suggest trying this, for those of us that didn't do enough research, but at least checked the FAQ.  ;-)
(Sub Note:  I wanted, but didn't have an Atari growing up, so still learning it....)

Edited by desiv