IGNORED

SG-1000 Multi-cart for your ColecoVision!

TPR

2 hours ago, lucifershalo said:

does someone know if the emulation is 100% accurate?

I'm guessing the "emulation" is just to handle RAM and interrupts, and whatever else is different between a ColecoVision and SG-1000. The common aspects can run direct, similar to some Flash/SD carts. However they did it, it's a very interesting product.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lucifershalo said:

does someone know if the emulation is 100% accurate?

My experience on the SG-1000 is limited to having:

- An original console with a few carts and a SG-1000 Multi-cart

- The ports done by several CV publishers to the ColecoVision

- A RetroPie with all the SG-1000 games using emulation

- This new SG-1000 multi-cart for the CV

While I have not dedicated a significant amount of time playing this new cart, the limited amount of time I did spend, I couldn't notice any differences between the four scenarios I've mentioned above.  Or at least nothing that I felt was immediately noticeable.  I will also go on record to say I'm not an SG-1000 expert, but I have played most of the games on the console, to some degree, in my lifetime.  And what I played on this new cart seemed to work just fine. 

Take that for what it's worth. 

• Like 2

I want one!

But,...IDK,  my truck may need an expensive repair.  I should find out tomorrow...

My original CV is glitchy but usually works if I put weight on the power cord for some reason, except for certain homebrews lately,...My ADAM works great I assume (been a while)...And my Phoenix is Great!   I wonder why it wouldn't run on a Phoenix?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

I wonder why it wouldn't run on a Phoenix?

I asked the guys this. Says it has to do with the special hardware inside the cart that is not compatible with the Phoenix’s FPGA. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had imagined this a while back and thought it could or should be created.  I don't check the forums every single day but wish I would've caught this sooner before the cut-off.  I don't want to spam them with my own post cut-off request, but I certainly would like one of these things.  Not sure if this needs to be kept under the radar so to speak but I do hope there is another production run or they increase this 1st run to meet overall demand.  Frustrating when something sells out before you even know about it.  

I wish my Atari Multi Cart had the Starpath Super Charger built into it because I try to play Escape From The Mindmaster on my Coleco Gemini and it always eventually crashes; I assume along with all the other Starpath games.  Which makes me wonder if a ColecoVision Multi Cart could be made with a Super Game Module built into it.  Or with an MSX emulator built into it but that's probably not technically possible at least without specific ported games made to run on CV.  I guess SG-1000 requires little to not porting over to the CV but just some sort of SG-1000 emulator.  

Edited by rodge2001

35 minutes ago, rodge2001 said:

I had imagined this a while back and thought it could or should be created.  I don't check the forums every single day but wish I would've caught this sooner before the cut-off.  I don't want to spam them with my own post cut-off request, but I certainly would like one of these things.  Not sure if this needs to be kept under the radar so to speak but I do hope there is another production run or they increase this 1st run to meet overall demand.  Frustrating when something sells out before you even know about it.  

I wish my Atari Multi Cart had the Starpath Super Charger built into it because I try to play Escape From The Mindmaster on my Coleco Gemini and it always eventually crashes; I assume along with all the other Starpath games.  Which makes me wonder if a ColecoVision Multi Cart could be made with a Super Game Module built into it.  Or with an MSX emulator built into it but that's probably not technically possible at least without specific ported games made to run on CV.  I guess SG-1000 requires little to not porting over to the CV but just some sort of SG-1000 emulator.  

my UNO cart plays starpath games on my 2600

• Like 1

2 hours ago, evg2000 said:

I'm curious why it doesn't work on the phoenix. Does the phoenix download the cart into 'memory' and run it?  What happens if you put it in a phoenix.

The CV Core probably needs to be updated to support the bank-switching method used on the SG-1000 MultiCart just like MegaCart and SGM support had to be programmed into the Core to work with those carts. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, NIAD said:

The CV Core probably needs to be updated to support the bank-switching method used on the SG-1000 MultiCart just like MegaCart and SGM support had to be programmed into the Core to work with those carts.

That's not quite correct. The FPGA core should contain support for the SGM, that much is true, but the MegaCart is inside the cartridge and so the FPGA core is not involved at that level. Same goes for this SG-1000 compilation cartridge, which probably uses a custom bank-switching method. There's probably a very small technical detail in the CV core that prevents it from working, and I would expect that a quick investigation should reveal the problem, if the guys at CollectorVision are willing to look into it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Pixelboy said:

That's not quite correct. The FPGA core should contain support for the SGM, that much is true, but the MegaCart is inside the cartridge and so the FPGA core is not involved at that level. Same goes for this SG-1000 compilation cartridge, which probably uses a custom bank-switching method. There's probably a very small technical detail in the CV core that prevents it from working, and I would expect that a quick investigation should reveal the problem, if the guys at CollectorVision are willing to look into it.

I'm far from a programmer or hardware designer, but the bank-switching method has to be part of the CV Core in the Phoenix, otherwise the Phoenix would not be able to run any of the MegaCart rom image files. It would be akin to how all the CV emulators like BlueMSX, EmulTwo, ColEm and even ADAMem SDL could not run MegaCart rom image files originally until the emulator programmer added specific support for the MegaCart's bank-switching method.

Sure, Opcode's Penguin Adventure and Gradius will work on the Phoenix since you have to use the original cartridge, but if someone figured out the bank-swicthing method that Opcode is using for his new Super Game Cartridge PCB, then support could be added to the Phoenix, MaxFlash Cart Dumper, AtariMax Ultimate SD and any and all emulators so that they could be played via a rom image dump.

sg-1000 has different memory ports for some things such as a my-card slot. The sgm and or f18a might not work with the reassigned address the cartirdge is doing to get the games to play.

perhaps a vanilla phoenix colecovision core might be all that is required since the additional sgm & f18a would not be part of it.

of course it might as well just make a sg-1000 core then if that was the case.

I'd rather a master system core , which is already compatible with sg-1000 roms.

Edited by digress
  • Like 1