IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 18 - Game 8 - Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

[Intellivision HSC Season 18]

[Game 8]

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

Star_Wars_The_Empire_Strikes_Back.jpg.0cd923eee3cef7d5c469105583a216c0.jpg

Star Wars: ESB by Parker Brothers 1983

The Empire's revenge has begun! Right now an army of Imperial Walkers is marching toward the Rebels' power generator on the Ice Planet Hoth. If they reach it, the entire Rebel base will blow sky high! To stop them, the Rebels must rely on missile-firing Snow-speeders. The Snow-speeders are quick and agile, in the hands of a skillful commander, they can destroy the mighty Walkers! So climb into your Snow-speeder and be prepared to meet the first of your deadly enemies!

star_wars.gif.65f8fe7a0c2ca615b4bd4d6f5a5c10a7.gif

ROM Download Link

https://archive.org/details/MattelIntellivision2014ReferenceSet-CompleteTosecRomCollection (Go to zip)(Then scroll down for Star Wars - The Empire Strikes Back (1983)(Parker Bros).zip (Remember to unzip the file by clicking 'extract all')

Game Manual Link - Click link below then go to 'Games' then 'Manuals' and scroll down for Star Wars the Empire Strikes Back

http://www.intellivision.us/intvlibrary/index.htm

High Score Club Record

SET NEW RECORD +3

Game Setting

PLAYER'S CHOICE - PLAY WHATEVER LEVEL YOU WANT BETWEEN 2 AND 4. IF YOU PLAY LEVEL 2 (BUTTON 2) AND YOUR FINAL SCORE IS X2. PLAY LEVEL 3 (BUTTON 3) AND YOUR FINAL SCORE IS X3. PLAY LEVEL 4 (BUTTON 4) AND YOUR FINAL SCORE IS X4. PLEASE POST WHAT LEVEL YOU PLAYED AT. 

Game Objective

Fly your Snow-speeder and shoot the Dreadful Imperial Walkers with your missiles. It takes 30 shots to take them down or your can hit them in the glowing 'sweet spot' and they will be destroyed immediately. Stop the from advancing. If your Snow-speeder is hit you must set it down on the ground for quick repair. When you hear the Star Wars theme your Snow-speeder is invincible. Use this precious time to your advantage and attack the enemy without mercy. Take down as many Imperial Walkers as you can and score the most points in the process. BE THE BEST JEDI BABY!!! 😜

Game Scoring

+13 [1st place], +12 [2nd place], +11 [3rd place], +9 [4th place] down to +1 pt for participation. +2 Game Winner Incentive. 

Extra Score Bonus: Get a multiplied score of 4,000 pts or more and earn +1 bonus point; Get a multiplied score of 8,000 pts or more and earn +2 bonus points; Get a multiplied score of 12,000 pts or more and earn +3 bonus points. Max-out Extra Score Bonus points earned is +3.  

Star Wars: ESB Virtual Patch Bonus

Join the "STAR WARS: ESB RAIDERS"
You will receive a Star Wars: ESB Virtual Patch Bonus if you score 3,000 (face value) points or more on Levels 2, 3 or 4 (so without the multiplier). Collect all the silly patches this season.... :P 

StarWarsESB.PNG.677f0d2d578c7efa090cb4eb7ec4babe.PNG

Season Theme: Flying / Falling / Floating Objects

Contest Ends
SUNDAY MARCH 26TH 11:59:59 PM

(FINAL SCORES)

57,072 - (19,024 x Game 3) - PATCHED - Rickster8 [+13][+2 GAME WINNER][+3 SET NEW RECORD][+3 BONUS POINTS]

21,816 - (5,454 x Game 4) - PATCHED - jimblargh [+12][+3 BONUS POINTS]

20,286 - (6,762 x Game 3) - PATCHED - wongojack [+11][+3 BONUS POINTS]

---------------------------------------------------------------------

14,396 - (3,599 x Game 4) - PATCHED - lupovax [+9][+3 BONUS POINTS]

8,700 - (2,175 x Game 4) - JacobZu7zu7 [+8][+2 BONUS POINTS]

2,808 - (702 x Game 4) - gar0u [+7]

1,202 - (601 x Game 2) - fakecortex [+6]

Overall Rankings (POINTS)

After Mission 'X' Treme

134 - Rickster8 (7 PATCHES)

82 - lupovax (3 PATCHES)

76 - wongojack (4 PATCHES)

73 - JacobZu7zu7 (2 PATCHES)

71 - jimblargh (4 PATCHES)

62 - wolfy62 (1 PATCH)

45 - IntyFanMatt (3 PATCHES)

39 - Player One (1 PATCH)

35 - gar0u

27 - fakecortex

21 - Sprazzi (1 PATCH)

8 - Northcoastgamer

7 - jblenkle

1 - patbb

Games Won

4 - Rickster8 - Blockade Runner / Popeye / Ice Trek / Demon Attack

1 - Sprazzi - River Raid

1 - IntyFanMatt - TRON: Deadly Discs

1 - Lupovax - TRON: Deadly Dogs

1 - JacobZu7zu7 - Mission 'X'

Sneak Preview:

Defender

Edited by Rickster8
Added in scores
  • Like 1

I really dig this one on the 2600. I think my emu set-up is not setting me up for success. Yeah, let's go with that...

Level 2 - 601 x 2 = 1,202 with the revised rules.... 

image.thumb.png.5b2b11e4c908d741946489cfb268dcc6.png

I gotta say, I really like the virtual patch challenge this season, even if I'm nowhere near getting any.

Edited by Rickster8
Updated score for revised rules...
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, wongojack said:

I think I would suggest game 3 or 4.  I think it is much more interesting with smart bombs.  At least the 2600 version is.

Yeah I purposely stayed away from those two levels because the game is too hard with those. I want players to enjoy playing and especially since we have so few players as it is.... However, since this is your game I could setup a bonus game for Level 3 if you'd like? Meaning keep Level 2 as the original game and add Level 3 as a bonus game contest... Let me know.... 👍

@wongojack

• Like 2

I updated some rules to make them more player flexible.... Please see the following rule revisions.... 

Game Setting

PLAYER'S CHOICE - PLAY WHATEVER LEVEL YOU WANT BETWEEN 2 AND 4. IF YOU PLAY LEVEL 2 (BUTTON 2) AND YOUR FINAL SCORE IS X2. PLAY LEVEL 3 (BUTTON 3) AND YOUR FINAL SCORE IS X3. PLAY LEVEL 4 (BUTTON 4) AND YOUR FINAL SCORE IS X4. PLEASE POST WHAT LEVEL YOU PLAYED AT. 

Extra Score Bonus: Get a multiplied score of 4,000 pts or more and earn +1 bonus point; Get a multiplied score of 8,000 pts or more and earn +2 bonus points; Get a multiplied score of 12,000 pts or more and earn +3 bonus points. Max-out Extra Score Bonus points earned is +3.  

Star Wars: ESB Virtual Patch Bonus

Join the "STAR WARS: ESB RAIDERS"

You will receive a Star Wars: ESB Virtual Patch Bonus if you score 3,000 (face value) points or more on Levels 2, 3 or 4 (so without the multiplier). Collect all the silly patches this season.... :P 

Edited by Rickster8
Formatting
  • Like 1

Here's a good hint / tip for trying to destroy the Walkers immediately. They have a little glowing spot that is vulnerable. At times it will appear just under the neck. When this happens fly the Snowspeeder up a little higher so the Walker lifts it's head to shoot at you and then plunge down once the vulnerable spot is open and place a well timed shot into the that glowing spot. If you hit pay-dirt the Imperial Walker will be vanquished immediately for some sweet bonus points. This also helps out greatly with slowing down the herd because instead of taking the necessary time for 30 shots, this is just 1 or 2..... 👍

Edited by Rickster8
Spelling
  • Like 2

Ok my tips are that this isn't the 2600 version.  Play it differently.

#1 Don't even mess with attacking the walkers from the back.  Just stay ahead of the front walker and alternate going back and forth and getting safe shots in.

#2 Repair your speeder whenever you can.  If you are damaged and there isn't a smart bomb after you, repair.  it is a pain to get the speeder down there, but it works eventually.

#3 Avoid the original Inty controller.  Your thumb will be sore after 100 seconds.  Find a way to play with an alternate controller.  It is a 1-button game, so there are many options via emulation (and even real hardware).

Game 3 6,762 x3 = 20,286

image.thumb.jpeg.afeeb1392c2a8944a98df10f41e24991.jpeg

Edited by Rickster8
Edited score
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, wongojack said:

Ok my tips are that this isn't the 2600 version.  Play it differently.

#1 Don't even mess with attacking the walkers from the back.  Just stay ahead of the front walker and alternate going back and forth and getting safe shots in.

#2 Repair your speeder whenever you can.  If you are damaged and there isn't a smart bomb after you, repair.  it is a pain to get the speeder down there, but it works eventually.

#3 Avoid the original Inty controller.  Your thumb will be sore after 100 seconds.  Find a way to play with an alternate controller.  It is a 1-button game, so there are many options via emulation (and even real hardware).

Game 3 6,762

image.thumb.jpeg.afeeb1392c2a8944a98df10f41e24991.jpeg

PATCHED!!!! NICE ONE 👍

image.png.ea4163d00713c2390ac99491545fcd22.png

• Like 2

Double ROLLAGE - Game 2... I quit the game after the 2nd rollover. Game 2 is BARELY harder than Game 1. Both can be played forever. This is why I had to open up Games 3 & 4. 

PATCHED!!! 

image.png.ead2359cd62ed80d2ee0ddd559b46122.png

GAME 2 - ROLLAGE 1 + ROLLAGE 2 + 153 = 20,153 x 2 = 40,306

STARWARSESB(9999)LVL2HSC18.jpg.338064a4dab74a9e8650115554add7d8.jpgSTARWARSESB(9999)X2LVL2HSC18.thumb.jpg.91b8c79887f167615c052826ca05db90.jpgSTARWARSESB(ROLLAGE)X2LVL2HSC18.thumb.jpg.e01b7e349d6ef8bc3b11a83d225d3368.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Quick Star Wars ESB Update:

40,306 - (20,153 x Game 2) - PATCHED - Rickster8

20,286 - (6,762 x Game 3) - PATCHED - wongojack

1,202 - (601 x Game 2) - fakecortex

Edited by Rickster8
Formatting

Overall Rankings (POINTS)

After Mission 'X' Treme

134 - Rickster8 (7 PATCHES)

82 - lupovax (3 PATCHES)

76 - wongojack (4 PATCHES)

73 - JacobZu7zu7 (2 PATCHES)

71 - jimblargh (4 PATCHES)

62 - wolfy62 (1 PATCH)

45 - IntyFanMatt (3 PATCHES)

39 - Player One (1 PATCH)

35 - gar0u

27 - fakecortex

21 - Sprazzi (1 PATCH)

8 - Northcoastgamer

7 - jblenkle

1 - patbb

Games Won

4 - Rickster8 - Blockade Runner / Popeye / Ice Trek / Demon Attack

1 - Sprazzi - River Raid

1 - IntyFanMatt - TRON: Deadly Discs

1 - Lupovax - TRON: Deadly Dogs

1 - JacobZu7zu7 - Mission 'X'

• Like 3

For what it's worth, here's my best Skill Level 3 score.... I think I was just 20 points away from getting another ship.... 🤦‍♂️

STAR WARS ESB - SKILL LEVEL 3 x 3,980 = 11,940 POINTS....

STARWARSESB(3980)LVL3HSC18.thumb.jpg.a1191ba7686566e893bd4a73a84fddbe.jpg

Edited by Rickster8
Wording
  • Like 2

Just played a mini marathon game of Level 3: I took wongo's advice and ran with it.... See video below.... 

There is one scoring rollover at the 36:30 mark. Final score at 1:07:31

STAR WARS ESB - SKILL LEVEL 3 x 19,024 = 57,072 POINTS....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jimblargh said:

×4 (lvl 4)

=4,208 heat seeking bouncey balls! 

Great music when you fire this one up but I find the gameplay to be very frustrating. Maybe I will get a better run going tomorrow!

20230325_204650.jpg

That's a very good score for Level 4.... 👍

• Like 2

So alot of Inty players really hate this game. I've seen some even say it's the absolute worst game in the entire Inty Library. I'm here to tell you differently. Look it's NOT the greatest game obviously, but IMHO it isn't the worst either.... Lets look at MY PROS VS MY CONS....

PROS

• The sound effects are top notch, Star Wars theme. The wicked sound of the shots fired from the Imperial Walkers and from the Snowspeeder. The actual pounding sound of the Walkers themselves walking both fast and slow. The air raid (warning) sound once the Walkers have gotten too close to the base. The eerie sound of the smart bombs in flight. The sound of a Walker once it gets killed. The sound is GREAT, but unfortunately this is probably the BEST this game has to offer. 
  • The SLOW DOWN the Herd Strategy - The slow down the herd tactic in this game is awesome. If you shoot and have BOTH the lead Walker and the end Walker on the verge of death they will walk SUPER slow causing the rest of the Herd to go SUPER slow. That's a pretty cool strategy I don't care who you are.... 😜
  • The shoot the Walkers just under the neck when they show their vulnerable spot. Nailing this shot at just the right time is VERY satisfying. You get big bonus points too, it's pretty SWEET. 
  • The laser cannon that the Snowspeeder shoots is devastating. I love how fast this thing shoots. I compare it to the cannon that the ship from Dreadnaught Factor shoots. Fast, accurate and quite deadly.

CONS

• It's a very one dimensional game, it's just the Snowspeeder VS the Imperial Walkers the whole entire game. No 2nd or 3rd wave or screen to beat. There's no deviation whatsoever and this is what REALLY hurts this game. 
  • Landing the Snowspeeder to repair it can sometimes be quite difficult. Sometimes you simply cannot get the thing to land because of constant movement. In the higher levels YOU HAVE to be able to do this often. 
  • You simply cannot attack the Walkers from the back without getting hit every single time. That's just stupid... 
  • They should of installed a point of no return line. I know they have a siren, but even when that goes off you have no idea how much time you have left. Maybe a timer countdown until destruction would have worked?

So these are my PROS and CONS to this game. I gotta tell ya. I do not hate this game. I find it quite enjoyable being a Jedi and kicking some Imperial Walker butt..... :P

Games like Donkey Kong (Coleco) and Sewer Sam (Interphase) are MUCH worse IMHO...... 👍

Edited by Rickster8
Wording
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

So alot of Inty players really hate this game. I've seen some even say it's the absolute worst game in the entire Inty Library. I'm here to tell you differently. Look it's NOT the greatest game obviously, but IMHO it isn't the worst either.... Lets look at MY PROS VS MY CONS....

PROS

• The sound effects are top notch, Star Wars theme. The wicked sound of the shots fired from the Imperial Walkers and from the Snowspeeder. The actual pounding sound of the Walkers themselves walking both fast and slow. The air raid (warning) sound once the Walkers have gotten too close to the base. The eerie sound of the smart bombs in flight. The sound of a Walker once it gets killed. The sound is GREAT, but unfortunately this is probably the BEST this game has to offer. 
  • The SLOW DOWN the Herd Strategy - The slow down the herd tactic in this game is awesome. If you shoot and have BOTH the lead Walker and the end Walker on the verge of death they will walk SUPER slow causing the rest of the Herd to go SUPER slow. That's a pretty cool strategy I don't care who you are.... 😜
  • The shoot the Walkers just under the neck when they show their vulnerable spot. Nailing this shot at just the right time is VERY satisfying. You get big bonus points too, it's pretty SWEET. 
  • The laser cannon that the Snowspeeder shoots is devastating. I love how fast this thing shoots. I compare it to the cannon that the ship from Dreadnaught Factor shoots. Fast, accurate and quite deadly.

CONS

• It's a very one dimensional game, it's just the Snowspeeder VS the Imperial Walkers the whole entire game. No 2nd or 3rd wave or screen to beat. There's no deviation whatsoever and this is what REALLY hurts this game. 
  • Landing the Snowspeeder to repair it can sometimes be quite difficult. Sometimes you simply cannot get the thing to land because of constant movement. In the higher levels YOU HAVE to be able to do this often. 
  • You simply cannot attack the Walkers from the back without getting hit every single time. That's just stupid... 
  • They should of installed a point of no return line. I know they have a siren, but even when that goes off you have no idea how much time you have left. Maybe a timer countdown until destruction would have worked?

So these are my PROS and CONS to this game. I gotta tell ya. I do not hate this game. I find it quite enjoyable being a Jedi and kicking some Imperial Walker butt..... :P

Games like Donkey Kong (Coleco) and Sewer Sam (Interphase) are MUCH worse IMHO...... 👍

Love the analysis here Rick! I have the game, but have always avoided it since I hated it as a kid. Maybe I’ll give it another try at some point, but don’t have the motivation right now. Lol. 

Edited by IntyFanMatt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Quick Star Wars ESB Update:

57,072 - (19,024 x Game 3) - PATCHED - Rickster8

20,286 - (6,762 x Game 3) - PATCHED - wongojack

14,396 - (3,599 x Game 4) - PATCHED - lupovax

4,208 - (1,052 x Game 4) - jimblargh

2,808 - (702 x Game 4) - gar0u

1,202 - (601 x Game 2) - fakecortex

Edited by Rickster8
Added in another score.

26 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Love the analysis here Rick! I have the game, but have always avoided it since I hated it as a kid. Maybe I’ll give it another try at some point, but don’t have the motivation right now. Lol. 

LOL, but just remember Matt, I cannot be fully trusted as I also like Maze-A-Tron which you absolutely hate.... HAHHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :P 

Edited by Rickster8
Wording
  • Haha 1

I agree with the pro and con list.  There's no way this is the worst Inty game.  However, something that hurts it (and Demon Attack) is that the 2600 version plays a bit better in both cases.  If the 2600 didn't exist then I'd probably have a higher opinion.

Anyway, it is fun for what it is.  I really wish you could attack from behind though.