IGNORED

GD with JagCD possible by FW patch?

42bs

The FAQ seems pretty clear that it is a hardware conflict:

Question:

Does the JagGD work when plugged into the JagCD?

Answer:

No. It seems the same interrupt lines used by the JagCD for the coming CD emulation feature.

30 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

Just give up the JCD, or are you that hooked on Highlander? :D

Actually, I never really used it, only for VLM. I think I have only Blue Lightning.

It just bugs me.

Anyway, switched currently to Lynx development. Lynx needs a quick running STNICCC port 🙂

• Like 3

No, that sentence didn't make much sense. :?

But, no, the interrupts I use for the data transfer from the console to the cart are the same which are used by the CD unit for data transfer. Plugging the cart through the CD unit disconnects the interrupts required and therefore it hangs when trying to do data transfer.

It is possible to do a non-interrupt based loader when the CD unit is plugged in, which is quite a bit slower, but it is possible.

• Like 1

Ha, this is much clearer, than:

6 hours ago, ls650 said:

. It seems the same interrupt lines used by the JagCD for the coming CD emulation feature.

3 minutes ago, SainT said:

It is possible to do a non-interrupt based loader when the CD unit is plugged in, which is quite a bit slower, but it is possible.

Ok, so there is at least an option. (Some day).

I am aware, yes. There is no guarantee that either game will ever work on the JagGD, however, but I will be looking into it again.

Although this thread has absolutely nothing to do with that, it’s to do with being able to run ROM games on the JagGD while plugged into a CD drive.

Edited by SainT
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/9/2023 at 3:38 AM, SainT said:

FWIW, given how fast ROMs load now, I'd take, say, ~half-quarter speed or so ROM loads/other transfers for the convenience of not having to unplug my JagCD to use the JagGD, potentially with a warning dialog at boot so non-power users understand why it's slow. Not a huge priority, and I bought fully understanding the limitations, so I'm not expecting it or anything, but if there's a list of feature requests that may or may not happen, would be nice if this was on it somewhere.

Edit: For some motivation beyond my laziness, there are some things, like developers verifying a final, "encrypted" ROM boots on both the bare Jaguar and a Jaguar CD before building some physical cartridges, @42bs hacking up ever-faster fast-boot headers, etc., where speed is not that important but the functionality the GameDrive provides is better than anything else can do, so this would be a genuinely helpful feature in some niche use cases.

Edited by cubanismo
More info.
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
On 4/21/2023 at 11:26 AM, SainT said:

I'll be back to working on the Jag in a few weeks. Getty very close to getting the 7800GD out in the wild. Finally. 😆

Ah, I just realised that I liked a post from early 2023. :D Are we back at the Kag yet? :)