IGNORED

Graph2fnt

emkay

what you do is color splits to enhance colors. this also has been done on C64 (look at 1988/1989 c64 demos) and ofcourse the badlines are no advantage then. but there are ways to suppress them on C64, maybe you can also find ways on atari.

You mean that they used GED-like techniques on C64??? :P

I might be wrong, but that sounds very stupid to me, because in bitmapmode, colors are loaded by hardware from memory, and as far as I know there's only ONE colorreg in bitmapmode (background register), and that's hardly worth the energy to change a register on the fly.

In charmode on c64 there are 3 registers, but if you want to enhance pictures, you usually use bitmap mode on c64.

And...how would you suppress badlines on c64?? Sounds really freaky. And IF it would be so, then there's no way to use a new coloring scheme for every 8-rasterline-block.

On atari we can suppress even normal bitmap DMA (Konop's mode) to copy one scanline more times (internal Antic-buffer), and on a8bit we can have a maximum of 2 badlines in 9 rasterlines. In vertical smoothscroll mode we can copy charmode lines two times, maybe the badline disappears on the second line. :ponder: ...it's worth a try...

But the main method to bridge badlines would off course just be PMG and smart design.

-----

mux

what you do is color splits to enhance colors. this also has been done on C64 (look at 1988/1989 c64 demos) and ofcourse the badlines are no advantage then. but there are ways to suppress them on C64, maybe you can also find ways on atari.

You mean that they used GED-like techniques on C64??? :P

I might be wrong, but that sounds very stupid to me, because in bitmapmode, colors are loaded by hardware from memory, and as far as I know there's only ONE colorreg in bitmapmode (background register), and that's hardly worth the energy to change a register on the fly.

In charmode on c64 there are 3 registers, but if you want to enhance pictures, you usually use bitmap mode on c64.

they didn't do it to enhance display... they just put a lot of moving colorbars behind a 3 color logo + sprites. anyway, the method is the same: use the cpu to change color registers on certain x-positions and avoid badlines.

And...how would you suppress badlines on c64?? Sounds really freaky. And IF it would be so, then there's no way to use a new coloring scheme for every 8-rasterline-block.

simply avoid the condition where the video chip issues a badline...

Off course, I understand, just like generating badline every scanline it should be possible to turn them completely off (I'm not sure about that), but:

then the colorcells are not refreshed every charmode row. That is: every row has the same coloring scheme. Off course, like you said about that c64 demo, you can accept that, just to make some funky vertical colorbars, but now we're not talking about gfx enhancement anymore.

-----

mux

Off course, I understand, just like generating badline every scanline it should be possible to turn them completely off (I'm not sure about that), but:

then the colorcells are not refreshed every charmode row. That is: every row has the same coloring scheme. Off course, like you said about that c64 demo, you can accept that, just to make some funky vertical colorbars, but now we're not talking about gfx enhancement anymore.

-----

mux

If you turn them off by making sure the 3-bit scroll register never matches the raster line numbers lowest 3 bits the hardware will finish up drawing the current cells and then do nothing until it reaches another match. this is how FLD (Flexible Line Distance) effects work.

Now it's my turn to contribute something to the G2F mania.

I'm trying to convert 2 pics. One is by myself (aug.2003) called "the gate". It wasn't made with the g2f editor, and I'll have to convert some things by hand. The other picture is from Raster: "the fort". I'm trying to rip the data out of the .xex file, done that now: found pmbase data and a fullscreen dli kernel. Now I must import it to g2f.

In the meantime, let me show that our beloved atari CAN have a desktop wallpaper (ripped PMG from "the fort"):

;) well...it really reminds me one of the best games ever...

the on screen texts, the story, the design, one of the 1st "parallax" scrolling i have seen... the intro music, the hand drawing the title, pressing start softscrolls the title upwards, etc. etc. etc... the "streaming data loading system" which i am sure wasn't called that way back in times but it's streaming data from disc while playing... etc.etc...

btw. does the c64 version stream as well with the 1541?

post-528-1075622841_thumb.jpg

There's again another version of G2F available...  8)  

With added visualisation for those gfx mode-changes and speed-up for displaying graphix...

The Dragon Picture is nice. Referring to the image... Do you think it would be possible to put the green colour out of the "Hero"... it would be nearly perfect then.

BTW. I am astonished by the picture you see below. What is the history about it... recognizing that the picture is cut on the bottom... does it come from the AMIGA? I would like to complete it :)

BTW. I am astonished by the picture you see below. What is the history about it... recognizing that the picture is cut on the bottom... does it come from the AMIGA?  I would like to complete it :)

Crop the empty pixel line at the top and the 39 blanks at the bottom and it runs in at a round 320x200 pixels of actual picture. It's a C64 image, the signature at the bottom right is AEG of Smash designs (the guy who ported Second Reality to the C64 and is currently working on Turrican 3) and it's from his latest demo Fallout (2003).

BTW. I am astonished by the picture you see below. What is the history about it... recognizing that the picture is cut on the bottom... does it come from the AMIGA?  I would like to complete it :)

Crop the empty pixel line at the top and the 39 blanks at the bottom and it runs in at a round 320x200 pixels of actual picture. It's a C64 image, the signature at the bottom right is AEG of Smash designs (the guy who ported Second Reality to the C64 and is currently working on Turrican 3) and it's from his latest demo Fallout (2003).

Curious that I don't know the original...

Isn't Smash designs directly related with Farbrausch from the PC? I remember KB was/is active in both scenes...

And ... Yes ... It's the style of Smash designs :)

Isn't Smash designs directly related with Farbrausch from the PC? I remember KB was/is active in both scenes...

Smash have a PC division of their own, KB is also a Farbrausch member but i think that's as far as the ties go.

Smash have a PC division of their own, KB is also a Farbrausch member but i think that's as far as the ties go.

Last Year I had a discussion with KB about the real challenge of producing the best software out of "old" Hardware... but I have real doubts that Farbrausch or Smash designs will do anything on the ATARI 8 :)