IGNORED

Graph2fnt

emkay

Hmm make a save option for RIP, HIP, TIP and MCS  :D

That's not what ImageWire does - it saves in Koalapainter format for the C64 and doesn't support FLI or anything else because my plan has always been to concentrate on doing a good looking 4 colour image conversion rather than worrying about colours.

Why not converting to a format that G2F can read... this means 160x192(240) 2 Bit Bitmap (BMP-File)?

Hello folks...

I just want to show you my first try with graph2font 3.2

It´s a conversation of one of my pictures for the ABBUC e.V.

The screenshot ist directly from within the tool. With xasm, there was only very crappy and wrong output, both on the ATARI and the emulator :( Hope, the new version will have a better output to xl-format...

post-3781-1066330651_thumb.jpg

bos2002.zip

it is really easy... if you know the tricks and get familiar with g2f... but the tool has some bugs (or i am too stupid...) if i press save in g2f format... why is it not saving the whole project? after reloading the project, f.e. sanxion title screen i have just my pm gfx and the screen-ram but without the font?

saving directly in XEX crashed my pc...

and drawing PM is really a pain on my 500 p3... better would be drawing in realtime... ;) zoom mode is slow as well...

hve

@Heaven

;) A PIII/500 and WinXP?!? There can´t be anything like speed! ;)

I have no Ideas, why the conversation is so crappy. But I don´t think it´s a problem with the XP. Perhaps there is a little bug in the asm-source, don´t know. I´ll test the asm-output with knoppix/wine just to see, if there is a difference.

Have you tried to edit the green pm under my PP´s? This didn´t work for me. It seems that you can´t edit pm within the last few lines of a picture.

@Heaven

;) A PIII/500 and WinXP?!? There can´t be anything like speed!  ;)  

I noticed the " ;) " but I have to make clear, that a PC's(Windows) speed is not only depending on its CPU. In addition, NT-Based Operating Systems are still having a better CPU-(multitask)-handling.

(offtopic off)

Have you tried to edit the green pm under my PP´s? This didn´t work for me. It seems that you can´t edit pm within the last few lines of a picture.

Yes, this seems to be a bug in the V 3.2

Just take a look at the Space Harrier Picture. On the bottom of the picture are some artefacts I could not delete...

and drawing PM is really a pain on my 500 p3... better would be drawing in realtime... ;) zoom mode is slow as well...

Hmm... I have checked the speed on my 333MHz K6/3 64MB Windows 2000 Notebook...."Normal" drawing is possible, and a P3 500 has about the double in speeds...curious

Hmm... I have checked the speed on my 333MHz K6/3 64MB Windows 2000 Notebook...."Normal" drawing is possible, and a P3 500 has about the double in speeds...curious

Hmm maybe the program uses math instructions. The K6/3 isn't very good at it. The K6/3 was no cpu that could compete with a real P3.

TXG/MNX

Hmm maybe the program uses math instructions. The K6/3 isn't very good at it. The K6/3 was no cpu that could compete with a real P3.

TXG/MNX

Yes... there is no reason, why Graph2fnt should be unusable on a P3/500, when a K6/3 can do "fast enough" :?

why is it not saving the whole project?

you should save all stuff in *.G2F format. It should work...

But to make sure you won't lose anything, just also write separate pieces of picture data (you know, colors and pmg data should only be save within its own sub-pallettes !).

saving directly in XEX crashed my pc...

well, that might be due to fact that X-ASM is a DOS program.

You should use only 8+3 names while compiling to .XEX (due to DOS' restrictions). And don't use too many folders with G2F and X-ASM.

This feature works perfectly for me (on Win98).

sounds strange.... but maybe G2F isn't fully optimised yet... It's dynamically growing nowadays... ;)

And as far I know, this is being programmed in DELPHI.

BTW. Nice new avatar you have.... :)

I remeber about your game-request, but you know... my work for university is still making me down.....

There's another beta version... :)

Cool, I´ll give it a try ;)

BTW. Is there anybody willing to write simple and effective instruction for G2F - in English of course ???

Hmm, I wanted to do this, but somehow I didn´t started yet. Will soon be available... :wink:

Hiya Mario,

There's another beta version... :)  

What about your next pictures for G2F then ? ;)

Well... converting Pictures from a higher resolution and colordepth is a hard doing with the tool (it is allmost the same like to draw the picture completely new) . It MUST be possible to edit a picture with ~ 16 colors in a preview mode and to optimize the picture (by hand) with the available possibilities of the XL/XE Hardware until the picture can be imported.

Emkay: you are partially right, but G2F won't get many painting tools due to author's statement that G2F is mainly for color adding and it's not a classic paint tool... :roll:

PPS - don't let us down. Just write the DOC file in English so as everybody interested could use G2F without big problems... :idea: 8)

I will post changes in the G2F v3.2x98 beta later...

g2f_v3.2x98.zip

Emkay:  you are partially right, but G2F won't get many painting tools due to author's statement that G2F is mainly for color adding and it's not a classic paint tool...   :roll:  

Hmm... the paint functions are good enough... I am talking about an import-function, that is making it possible to create a picture with a PC Tool, save it in 160x192(240) with up to 16 colors and import it directly into G2F. So people can adapt the colors in a much easier way.

Without midline-changes you still have 6 colors for the whole screen and you may set up to 9 colors in ranges. You can allways set DLIs for colorchanges, and you can only set 4 colors at all while importing into g2f. The biggest problem is: You cannot draw Elements with 8 or even 6 brightnesses (or different colors) and import them... you have allways to reduce the colors of one object to 4, 3 or 2 . So the Object loses depth...

Sorry for my mistake, but according to Polish instruction that was included in newest G2F release you are now allowed to download v3.3 (this is not a beta! ;) ). So my previous post contains this version...

OK, so about changes in this version:

v3.3- fixed: PMG objects haven't been editable at the bottom of the screen.

- selecting PREVIEW-PMG makes PMG objects visible on the black background, this could be useful in ZOOM mode

- FILL-XOR is default paint mode when painting data in PMG objects ; you can also switch it to OR and AND mode (check yourself to see how it works ;) ).

- OPEN window was changed and SAVE G2F allows to change filename

- generated source code in assembler is now very optimized and (probably) without bugs

- added OPTIONS-> CHG COL that means color changing

- added OPTIONS-> CHG SPR that means sprite changing

- charset preview in EDIT/SCREEN

- added new feature in OPTIONS menu - changing chars into graphics ("Original")

- REDO and UNDO functions in ZOOM mode

- saving screenshot from current graphics in .BMP format

- saving current graphics in .XEX format (=executable Atari file) ; note: you must use a filename with 8+3 length as included compiler (X-ASM) is still a DOS program... :(

- there is possible to move screen (MOVE X) in desired range

- simulation of PMG objects and hires graphics (PIXEL=1x1) ; this is something that may help you to add color to your hires graphics 8)

- general program optimalization (speed and size)

Have fun and prepare many colorful graphix ! 8) :idea:

Hi again,

At last here is a G2F picture from me :!: ... It was drawn years ago when releasing "JASKINIOWIEC" game from STAN-BIT (it was a nice clone of PREHISTORIK for Atari 8-bit). This picture was placed as intro-picture before the main game and had 5 colors only. With G2F it can be done better as you see.... 8)

Note about colors: as G2F uses a different pallette than A800Win does, it is important to change this in order to get color compatibility. Just choose "JAKUB.ACT" in that emulator and everything will be OK. :)

jaskiniowiec.zip

post-3920-1067123936_thumb.jpg

I tested a little with the new version. Some things I discovered...

The function to save as XEX doesn´t work for me. the programm writes only the ASM, FNT & SCR-Files, but doesn´t assemble to the XEX. I tried, if I have to move the XASM to another directory, but then G2F says, that XASM isn´t there. So my folders seems to be right.

Other thing I "discovered" is, that it seems to be not useable to work on a picture with 48 bytes. You can not get it working on the XL. The routine seems to want more time, than the ATARI has, so the whole screen is jumping and blitting and ...

I only got pictures work on the ATARI with the DLI Option, Loop & DLI Auto doesn´t work for me.

i can't convert images to XEX/ATRs under win98 2nd edition. all images are distorted in atari800win and on real 130xe, f.e. druid flickers & rolls same with alien_em and the abbuc logo...under XP last time it went fine... but my coding machine for atari is unfortunatly win98.

any help much appreciated.

hve

Here are some answers I lately got from the G2F author.

@EMKAY:

you can use special function when reading BMPs -> it's possible to choose colors which are to be converted to Atari colors.

What do you mean by "G2F's promotion" ? :roll: :) It's just free will - everybody can use G2F as it is available at AtariArea and here. :)

There are still many beta versions and official versions come rarely.

You are maybe wondering only few people use G2F ? Well, laziness is everywhere ....

@PPS:

DLI works best in most cases, the rest should work as well but not so often. :)

The widest screen mode (48 bytes) really takes very much time and ANTIC may not come in time with it... But there are some pictiures that work OK with that width and there are others that won't work. :ponder:

That's why there are so many ASM settings to help you adjusting it. :idea:

When "saving to GED" feature is added, there will be more chances to come in time.

Save XEX: creates .BAT procedure that copies files into main catalog and compile them all and after that it copies the result to new long filename.

When there's X-ASM updated with long-filenames support, everything should be simplier and without so many hassle. FOX (XASM author) promised to do such fix.

At my computer SAVE XEX works everytime I wish, by the way.