IGNORED

Graph2fnt

emkay

Nice - I guess @ 21 MHz it'd be possible to change a hardware register every 2 colour-clocks corresponding to 1 x 1.79 MHz cycle?

I'm guessing this is bitmap to avoid the badline problem, or is it charmode using VScrol + Chbase tricks?

bitmap

on Rapidus tricks with VSCROL not working, probably need calculate new times for change VSCROL register (NOP ???)

Yep. I forget the exact requirements but there's a window for when to do the changes. Too early (which is probably what's happening) means comparisons where DeltaC needs to catch up with VScrol won't work properly. Too late and new text line misses out on its initial scroll value.

• 2 weeks later...

Kiwilove threw a few pictures from the Dark Matter TV series that he wanted converted into the RastaConverter thread. Gunstar replied with a nicely done conversion, but I wanted a swing at it, too! So, I'll use G2F. Although I am absolutely no artist, I am building some pretty decent experience in my Graph2Font skills.

Below is the original image, followed by Gunstar's version in RastaConverter, and then my NTSC version in Graph2Font. Anyone is free (actually, encouraged) to improve upon my version, but I'd appreciate it if my signature was left in the lower right corner.

ORIGINAL IMAGE:

post-18231-0-65559700-1519019628.jpg

GUNSTAR'S RASTACONVERTER:

post-18231-0-09812300-1519019668.png

DarkMatterAndroid.xex

MY GRAPH2FONT CONVERSION:

post-18231-0-27326400-1519019715.png

DarkMatterAndroidG2F.xex

android-G2F-source.zip

Certainly some plus and minuses on both sides. I went pretty basic with the player-missile graphics (large color block in the hair, and the lips). I didn't do any color changes, so the interrupts remain unused. There is still plenty of room to improve. Boy, that binary compresses really really small!

• Like 7

Here is Five from Dark Matter. I think I like Gunstar's RastaConverter version better, but this is just a quick 5-color conversion. No player/missile graphics, no interrupts to change colors. Same terms as last time, if you want to improve on this image (please do), just preserve my sig in the lower right corner.

FIVE FROM DARK MATTER (5 colors):

post-18231-0-16286500-1519066924.png

DMFive1.xex

DMFive1-g2f-source.zip

• Like 3

After using Convert to PMG:

I have my existing PMG graphics.

But I'd like to import just part of a PMG file, like just the missiles, and not change (or clear out) any of my players.

When I load a PMG file, all of my PMG bitmaps are replaced with what is in the file.

Is there a way to merge-in PMG when loading?

Or is this a feature request?

Thank you for the nice tool,

jmccorm

Edited by jmccorm

Here is Five from Dark Matter. I think I like Gunstar's RastaConverter version better, but this is just a quick 5-color conversion. No player/missile graphics, no interrupts to change colors.

FIVE FROM DARK MATTER (5 colors):

attachicon.gifdmfive.png

I actually like this one better, but that's from coding standpoint, because this image takes very little RAM, no CPU (no interrupts) and could be used in-game, for things like animated dialog overlays (over the background of the game). A more practical size would be of 50% dimensions (~2 KB per animation frame), though that would certainly butcher the quality.

I would be very curious to find out how much improvement could be made, if only PMGs were used (not the DLIs). Especially at 50% dimension - I made a quick resize test on five and her face is then exactly 32 px wide, so 1 PMG could be used for full width of face, thus we could have 4-5 additional skin colors, which combined with dithering should drastically improve the image, I reckon.

You are currently using 3 colors for skin (we'd keep the blue for eyes/hair highlights and the dark one for hair/shadows). PMGs would increase that to 8. Maybe dithering wouldn't even have to be used then.

Since most of the skin shading occurs on the right side of face, and it's highly vertical - that's where PMGs would be masked out.

Is there an image editor to combine PMGs like this manually ?

Is there an image editor to combine PMGs like this manually ?

The best I've been able to do is this:

Copy everything (with Image -> Move, Copy, Paste) on the alternate workspace that you're wanting to be as a PMG, and convert them into a single color. Then use Image -> Convert to PMG. You can move the window around horizontally (within limits) by clicking on the main window. Conversion order will be P1-P4, M1-M4. Go File -> Save As and you'll save a PMG file. Go back to your main workspace and open the .PMG file that you've created. It'll just merge in the PMG elements without losing the bitmaps/colors. From there, go into the PMG settings and move/recolor/re-priority as needed.

Hope this makes sense.

• Like 2

> Is there an image editor to combine PMGs like this manually ?

I don't know one which is released to the public. I have here something that is somewhat usable for this scenario, but it is so crude to handle, that I don't think anybody else likes to take it.

Edited by Irgendwer

A Babylon 5 image, in 5 colors. No DLIs or PMGs. Feel free to reuse, but add in my signature (at a minimum: "JM") only if you add in your own. I believe they did a mono-color promos for each of their DVD seasons. I've included a normal and a wide-overscan version of the G2F image for NTSC.

ORIGINAL:

post-18231-0-30535100-1519173572_thumb.png

G2F IMAGES (NORMAL AND OVERSCAN):

post-18231-0-94650600-1519173619.pngpost-18231-0-46065300-1519173620.png

BINARIES:

babylon5-g2f.xex

babylon5-g2f-overscan.xex

ZIP WITH SOURCE G2F AND ABOVE FILES:

babylon5.zip

• Like 2

I actually like this one better, but that's from coding standpoint, because this image takes very little RAM, no CPU (no interrupts) and could be used in-game, for things like animated dialog overlays (over the background of the game). A more practical size would be of 50% dimensions (~2 KB per animation frame), though that would certainly butcher the quality.

I would be very curious to find out how much improvement could be made, if only PMGs were used (not the DLIs). Especially at 50% dimension - I made a quick resize test on five and her face is then exactly 32 px wide, so 1 PMG could be used for full width of face, thus we could have 4-5 additional skin colors, which combined with dithering should drastically improve the image, I reckon.

You tempted me also to try a quick 50% resize and I left all the normal problems uncorrected. The image still looked quite good at 1/4 screen. In this one, the face is a bit wider than 32 pixels, though.

DARK MATTER FIVE AT QUARTER-SCREEN:

post-18231-0-68091300-1519176189.png

BINARY:

DMFive-mini.xex

.G2F AND ABOVE FILES:

DMFive-mini.zip

• Like 2

overscan looks great if that crop could shift ever to slightly we could get Delenn no problem

G2F Bug?

The left hand side (inside of the G2F editor) promises more pixels to the left hand side than a machine or even Altirra will show (with full overscan options). I shifted the image a bit to the right.

In Wide Screen Mode, G2F would not allow me to make repairs on the far-left hand side of the display while I was using the Zoom function. It just wouldn't scroll that far to the left. Oh well, the duplicated pixels won't be seen, and I'm not publishing a new .G2F for a minor change, so this works out. But I think G2F has a wide screen bug in zoomed mode (and offers too many pixels to the left which aren't shown).

IMAGE:

post-18231-0-38564400-1519177528.png

WIDE OVERSCAN BINARY:

temp.xex

EDIT: With some work, Delenn could be improved. She gets the least pixels and more easily runs into collisions with the 4th/5th colors.

Edited by jmccorm

The Incredible Hulk, in 5 colors. No DLIs or PMGs. Feel free to reuse, but if you add your signature, please add in mine as well (at a minimum: "JM"). A normal and an overscan version.

I used some different intensities and slightly different colors in the two versions. Let me know if one looks better than the other on a real machine with a television/lcd/whatever. The overscan version was probably closer to the original picture's brightness, but I think the normal version may look better in real hardware. Variances in TV tuning could make either one look bad, though.

ORIGINAL IMAGE:

post-18231-0-97983100-1519190375_thumb.jpg

G2F NORMAL:

post-18231-0-53346100-1519190391.png

hulk3.xex

G2F OVERSCAN:

post-18231-0-09674900-1519190398.png

hulk3a1.xex

ALL THE ABOVE (INCLUDING IMAGES) + SOURCE FILES IN G2F FORMAT:

hulk3.zip

• Like 3

Here is one last Babylon image, and then hopefully I'm going back to my long-term project. Feel free to modify this image as long as my signature "JM" is left intact (moving it to somewhere else inside the image fine). 5 color, NTSC, no interrupts or player-missile graphics. Plenty of opportunity to improve upon it.

Detail seems a little low. On this one, I'm actually going to put some of the blame on the original image: the visual effect has a lot of unnatural processing on the brightness and contrast. Still, I didn't spend a great deal of time finding the best possible conversion. Despite that, this looks far better than most of what you would have seen in the 80s. They just didn't have the tools to do this kind of work.

Earlier, I copied the overscan version of the Hulk and of Babylon 5 over to my 130XE with a real CRT. You know what? I think I've fallen in love with that format. I just love an Atari picture that can completely fill a CRT and not have any visible borders. So I'm doing this image as overscan only.

Your feedback on this and the others is appreciated. I really need to know if I'm going the right direction with colors and intensities. (I can shift the colors lower, spread them further apart, or keep them in a tight range, I just don't know how well they'd appear on other people's hardware.) I apologize for defaulting to NTSC.

Perhaps we can convince Tebe of a feature that can be enabled in Graph2Font to automatically shift colors for NTSC and PAL displays? I think that would be great.

ORIGINAL IMAGE:

post-18231-0-92672900-1519196178_thumb.png

GRAPH2FONT IMAGE (5 COLORS, NTSC, OVERSCAN, NO PMG, NO INTERRUPTS):

post-18231-0-12207200-1519196231.png

ATARI 8-BIT BINARY:

babylon-yellow.xex

ZIP OF ALL THE ABOVE + .G2F IMAGE FILE:

babylon-yellow.zip

EDIT: Now that I've viewed this on my 130XE w/CRT, it looks like the image is just a bit too tight horizontally. Inside Graph2Font, eventhing fits just fine, but in reality 12 pixels (6% of the screen) is lost on the left hand side, so we lose the forward fan of Londo Mollari's hair. In the future, I'll know to zoom out just a little bit more in order to compensate for those undisplayed pixels. The image below shows the screen real-estate that I thought that I was working with.

IMAGE INSIDE OF THE G2F EDITOR:

post-18231-0-65202900-1519198128.png

Edited by jmccorm
  • Like 3