IGNORED

Temporary Variables, John Wayne, and Keanu f**king reeves

Retrospect

3 minutes ago, Retrospect said:

Rich thinks he's getting "attacked" ... consider for a moment poor Harry ... when he gets back off his vacation his wife's gonna smack his fingers with an hammer!  

And you just complained to me about being on topic?

Is this called a double standard?

Rich, please step back a second or two and think here: why do most of the conversations you get involved in devolve to outright warfare? Sometimes, your points are totally valid, but the way they come across is similar to scraping someone's face with a cheese grater. Sometimes, your points don't align with the behavior of Extended BASIC as pointed out by others in those threads--and your standard response is that they need to prove that behavior by quoting where it happens in the source code. That ISN'T an answer to the observed behavior. Please also note that observed behavior is not an opinion--it is the result of an active test. Sometimes the source code will be quite informative here, but then you have to show why it supports the observed behavior (as the resident expert on that specific source code base). On the other hand, if the source code appears to contradict the observed behavior, that becomes an interesting data point for all of us to research and follow to its logical conclusion--and we all learn something new here. Showing that Extended BASIC and Pascal have very different outcomes when executing the same type of code is also useful, as it may shed more light on exactly what is happening in both languages. All of the examples people have posted here use the high level input and output of Extended BASIC--and the output IS different one some levels from how you have described it to be. As @apersson850 noted, there are some specific terminology usages involved here that have been somewhat conflated--and he has begun to tease out those data bits to get to a reasonable answer that explains a bit more. This discussion isn't there yet though, as I see there is much more to be discovered here. If you think a response is an attack--please ignore that impulse and look for the nuggets of real information mixed in. The person may not have intended their response to be antagonistic--but folks online all too often read them that way.

I seriously appreciate what you do with RXB. Just note that positive participation in conversations goes a whole lot farther than tit-for-tat jabs in the face.

One last thing here, just in case: NO PART OF THIS POST IS AN ATTACK ON YOU! :):):) I'm just asking you to think a little more before you post. :):):) Thank you for reading this.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3