IGNORED

Netflix on old tv?

Was looking at old tvs on ebay.  I know they go high.  But was just curious to see what shape and how much.

ebay

In the first pic he shows Netflix, Prime Video, Sling, Roku Channel, Disney Plus, and Espn.  Its cool to see that although not the best picture or very practical.  But none of the pictues show a stick or rokiu or anything hooked.  And the description just says replaced a few caps.  I am curious he photoshopped that to more views.  Or there is a way to get maybe that picture.  Maybe a hdmi to coax adapter even exists?

13 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

But none of the pictues show a stick or rokiu or anything hooked.  And the description just says replaced a few caps.  I am curious he photoshopped that to more views.  Or there is a way to get maybe that picture.  Maybe a hdmi to coax adapter even exists?

The device is probably behind the TV.

And it's probably a composite to RF adapter.
They probably didn't picture it to avoid people assuming that it was included.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 6:45 PM, 0078265317 said:

But no streamers have composite anymore.  Unless its really old and still works somehow.

Most of the old Roku units still work.

Heck, I watched Netflix on an old crt with a PS3. Was great for old tv shows.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2023 at 7:45 PM, 0078265317 said:

But no streamers have composite anymore.  Unless its really old and still works somehow.

Here you go:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku#Feature_comparison

I have the 3910 myself, which I believe was the last model to support composite (2017). It works really well, but there's no way to turn it off, and it gets pretty warm, so I have to unplug it whenever it's not in use.
Some of the apps don't support 4:3 aspect ratio very well, but I don't think that's Roku's fault. They could've probably added a zoom function like Roku TVs have, though.

Some of the later CRT sets have HDMI inputs. I'm still using those for everything from the 360 up to and including the Series X. Movies and older TV shows look great on these sets! 

As someone else said above, quite a few devices such as Rokus still have apps that directly allow for analog output:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115723476465?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=E76c2lH7Tu2&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=cssq4zlBQMK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

... that one model in particular has become very desirable for people who prefer to watch stuff on their CRT sets. 

On 3/20/2023 at 7:22 PM, Blazing Lazers said:

Some of the later CRT sets have HDMI inputs. I'm still using those for everything from the 360 up to and including the Series X. Movies and older TV shows look great on these sets! 

As someone else said above, quite a few devices such as Rokus still have apps that directly allow for analog output:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115723476465?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=E76c2lH7Tu2&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=cssq4zlBQMK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

... that one model in particular has become very desirable for people who prefer to watch stuff on their CRT sets. 

Yes but eventually they will stop supporting that model or all rca models eventually.  So crt people will be out of luck.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2023 at 7:45 PM, 0078265317 said:

I have an older Roku (3710) with composite output I picked up from a curb.  Other than being 2.4GHz wireless, only, it works fine.  I suspect I will find it useless one day in the near future.  2016 should be new enough to ensure TLS compatibility for a while, as I expect TLS1.2 and its ciphers to be around until at least 2026.  Updates and channel compatibility will be what kills it, I am sure.

• 3 months later...