IGNORED

HSC20 Round 5: Dawn Raider & Warhawk

DAWN RAIDER & WARHAWK

A couple of right toughies but both good budget tape games 8.3 ad 7.9 'mania ratings :cool:

Dawn Raider is one of my favourites, think there are various buggy versions, maybe intermittent crashes.

https://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=1711

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-dawn-raider_1531.html

[Space] is pause

Warhawk is a killer so we'll also have a bonus challenge using autofire (!) separate to the main table.

Fandal NTSC fixed Warhawk. 

https://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=3425

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-warhawk_5713.html

More info and links later but just wanted to get the round underway ;)

Keep an eye out for the autofire power ups - will read up if there are any others, think you have to collect them but think I was shooting most of them in the chaos.

[Select] is pause, [Start] to resume but not to be used unless you need a pit stop ;)

Autofire challenge using joysticks such as quickshot etc.

Dawn RaiderWarhawk

Round ends Weds 29th March 8PM UK time

Edited by therealbountybob
  • Like 1

We'll go back to regular classic action on the next poll, suggestions still welcome on the games list thread ;)

Try and get a set of paddles everyone as we will run a paddles games round soon too - though several of the games also support joystick mode :!:

• Like 2

4955 5260 8140 Level 3

Saw a couple of bugs. One where the game crashes at the end of the level. The other, if you run out of fuel, but hit a fuel depot with a bomb, on the way down. You then just drift through the middle of the level until your fuel runs out again, you can't shoot or move. 

Edited by McKong
  • Like 1

Dawn Raider: 1,610

20230316_195902.thumb.jpg.94588c0e4de6b808680c6dcc7ee14da4.jpg

Warhawk (no autofire): 128,156

20230316_200455.thumb.jpg.93418e8039abb3928bd32e20663c0366.jpg

I've never played either of these before. Dawn Raider is basically Super Cobra, only you have to maintain your fuel AND ammo. It took me several tries to get the hang of it, but it's not bad. Warhawk is fun, but like @therealbountybob said, no autofire is going to KILL your hand. 🙂 

Does anyone know what the "P1" pods in Dawn Raider are for? They look a bit like the ammo or fuel dumps, but I couldn't tell if shooting them had any extra effect.

Edited by graywest
  • Like 2

On 3/16/2023 at 2:41 PM, therealbountybob said:

We'll go back to regular classic action on the next poll, suggestions still welcome on the games list thread ;)

Try and get a set of paddles everyone as we will run a paddles games round soon too - though several of the games also support joystick mode :!:

I love paddle games!

Problem... I was in (IIRC) stage 6 or 7 and I got 392529 points but then the game stopped working.

There didn't come anymore enemies but the game did not go further.... and it stayed on the screen you see in the picture.

My hand is dead now, but I have to say the game is very playable with manual fire. I don't know how to auto fire? Is that possible with a special joystick?

20230319_123421.jpg

Edited by Marius
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Marius said:

Problem... I was in (IIRC) stage 6 or 7 and Ingot 392529 points but then the game stopped working.

There didn't come anymore enemies but the game did not go further.... and it stayed on the screen you see in the picture.

My hand is dead now, but I have to say the game is very playable with manual fire. I don't know how to auto fire? Is that possible with a special joystick?

Nice score!  Sad to see that game end on a glitch.

This is a guess, but I don't think this game has an auto fire option.  My assumption is that to do auto fire we would use emulator options or special controllers with turbo buttons to shoot faster.

• Like 1

Dawn Raider

4,905 reached the 2nd level. No crashes - playing my tape version that I Trandisked - if anyone wants me to image this let me know in the next day or two.

Photo4130.thumb.jpg.ecf33280af991a75f950aa6403ba1713.jpg

Warhawk - just leave the music on :music:

534,638 put me down for a new thumb too :D reached level 8? Keep an eye out for the autofire power ups - will read up if there are any others, think you have to collect them but think I was shooting most of them in the chaos. [Select] is pause, [Start] is resume but not to be used unless you need a pit stop ;)

Autofire challenge on joysticks such as quickshot etc.

Photo4132.thumb.jpg.97e259e3ee95d36a471c3f55a4a8505c.jpg

• Like 1

Just reading up on the games on Atarimania and the Author of Dawn Raider Geoffrey Storey replied to my comments on there! Ok it was a while ago

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-dawn-raider_1531.html

geoffrey storey - 15/11/2016

"Glad you liked it."

first tables

Dawn Raider       WarHawk    
  Player Score     Player Score  
1st McKong               8,140   1st therealbountybob 534,638  
2nd therealbountybob 4,905   2nd Marius 498,734  
3rd graywest 1,610   3rd rdrunner 274,262  
4th rdrunner 1,390   4th carlsson 221,888  
5th carlsson 1,205   5th graywest 128,156  
        6th Dinky2008 111,984  

Scoring to follow but probably both games ranked into one table - ties broken by Dawn Raider position.